Ryder takes #73, Gallagher now #11

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I wont be surprised if Gallagher had no say in picking number 73 and had no problem picking back number 11. "New guy in Town" Ryder has played more games with the Canadiens than Gallagher.

I think you care more about it than Gallagher.

Besides, vet unwritten rule is usually that he gets the number he wants. In some cases (Boullion) he turns it down.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I see it as a sign of respect from a rookie to a veteran. I'm sure it helps Ryder feel welcome into the team as well....and its just a number, no need to go crazy.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Jackass move?

Gallagher wore #11 with the Giants...he probably only wore #73 in camp cuz the Habs always give their young prospects who are not expected to make the team high numbers.

The team letting Gallagher take a low number like 11 now means they probably see him as an established NHLer now.

Ryder's NHL number has always been #73.

Non-issue.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I use to have a Ryder t-shirt. I can't find it now! I think I gave it to the less fortunate.
a foster kid now has a relevant hockey t-shirt. Good for him!

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't want to stir up crap, but that's a jackass move by Ryder, you're the new guy in town, you don't take other player's numbers. It'll be weird seeing the #11 on Gallagher.

Gallagher wore #11 in juniors, I guarantee he didn't want #73 in the first place...

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't want to stir up crap, but that's a jackass move by Ryder, you're the new guy in town, you don't take other player's numbers. It'll be weird seeing the #11 on Gallagher.

Um....

Brendan%2520Gallagher.jpg

Gallagher couldn't take #11 right away because wasn't Gomez still on the team? I'm sure Brendan is happier now anyway.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

Not wanting to stir up crap BUT speculating about Ryder being a jackass? You should be a sport journalist.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I can understand the misunderstanding by the OP, but as everyone else has said, this is a non-issue.

Still not used to seeing anyone else wear the Habs 11, but Gallagher will do it better than Gomez did, that's for sure

Leo Getz

Sep 4, 2007
11 is a much sexier number anyways. Just be more like Koivu and less like Gomez please.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Euh I hate number 11 for a winger. Always thought this number is better for a center. I dont know maybe because I was used seeing this number on the back of Muller and Koivu's jerseys for years (and Gomez of course :sarcasm:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad