Ryder takes #73, Gallagher now #11

Drunk World Order

Jun 22, 2003
Toronto
One of the reasons I don't by new habs jerseys is that they have some ugly ass numbers 79 73 81 51 76 etc...Now numbers like 11 and 27 are worthy of a purchase now I just have to decide.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I find it interesting how little we've heard about Gainey on this. It's all about Ray Whitney and Mark Recchi putting Erik Cole over as a needed asset. Stars fans are afraid of the return of the "Boys Club" and I'm not surprised.

Oh come on, Gainey is just an advisor, that is it. Big deal about nothing tying him to it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't want to stir up crap, but that's a jackass move by Ryder, you're the new guy in town, you don't take other player's numbers. It'll be weird seeing the #11 on Gallagher.
:laugh:

Ryder was told he'd be wearing #73. Said he would have changed if Gallagher wanted to keep it. Says he will talk to Gallagher to tank him and give him a little something as a thank you. What a jackass.

68*

Habs should do the nice thing and get everyone who bought a #73 Gallagher jersey a new Gallagher #11 jersey for free. Then send the old ones to people in Africa.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Habs should do the nice thing and get everyone who bought a #73 Gallagher jersey a new Gallagher #11 jersey for free. Then send the old ones to people in Africa.

They might change the numbers at the Habs Zone or something. I remember when Carter was traded last year the Jackets let people who bought a Carter jersey take it in and get the nameplate switched to J.Johnson, maybe they could do the same here.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Aside from the fact I think number 11 should be retired in Montreal, Gallagher will do the number justice, can't be any worse than the last guy to disgrace it.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just bought a Gallagher 73 t-shirt

Well anyway happy to have a player that deserves to wear number 11(looking at you gomez)

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I wonder what # Gally will pick when MB brings Saku back here

Mynameismark*

So many responses for frikkin jersey numbers. As if they even matter.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
After spending a day thinking about the trade, here's my take:

- Cole is known for a slow starter. He under-performed again in this early season, but I think he will eventually play better.
- Cole is tougher and hit harder and more than Ryder. While Cole doesn't produce, he may create some chances for other by going to the net, or cause the opponents to take penalty.
- Ryder is unidimensional player. Without scoring, he may be useless.
- People, me included, usually are excited about an arrival of a new player. That fact may affect our trade analysis.

Hence, I conclude that if looking strictly at the on-ice performance, I think that Cole is a better hockey player than Ryder. Therefore, Habs lose slightly on the hockey aspect. In short term, I think Dallas is a better team with Cole, than with Ryder. That may be the reason that Dallas give us a 3rd pick.

However, if considering the draft pick and the contract situation, then Habs win a bit.
In brief, this is a very fair trade as opposed to some people thought.

Habtchum*

- Cole is known for a slow starter. He under-performed again in this early season, but I think he will eventually play better.
- Cole is tougher and hit harder and more than Ryder. While Cole doesn't produce, he may create some chances for other by going to the net, or cause the opponents to take penalty.
- People, me included, usually are excited about an arrival of a new player. That fact may affect our trade analysis.

Hence, I conclude that if looking strictly at the on-ice performance, I think that Cole is a better hockey player than Ryder. Therefore, Habs lose slightly on the hockey aspect. In short term, I think Dallas is a better team with Cole, than with Ryder. That may be the reason that Dallas give us a 3rd pick.

However, if considering the draft pick and the contract situation, then Habs win a bit.

I agree with you. No one got fleeced. Cole is a better overall player and a leader.

Ryder might sign elsewhere in July. In the meantime, he can hopefully scores some big ones for us.

We gonna have a 3rd rounder that might be useful down the road and some free cap space.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
I agree with you. No one got fleeced. Cole is a better overall player and a leader.

Ryder might sign elsewhere in July. In the meantime, he can hopefully scores some big ones for us.

We gonna have a 3rd rounder that might be useful down the road and some free cap space.

It's going to be an interesting draft this summer with the extra picks

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

When both are on the top of their game, Cole is the superior player because he will crash the net and throw the body around.

What we need to realize, however, is that the Habs now have Prust, Gallagher and Armstrong that will go to the net and hit, on top of already having Pacioretty, Gionta and newly emerged Eller and Bourque that will do the same. There is an abundance of that skill set on the team. They do lack a sniper, with a quick release, that can shoot and pick corners from anywhere. Pacioretty is the only one, Galchenyuk will be one in the future. Cole couldn't shoot or pass worth a damn, Ryder brings that aspect.

That is my look at it, as a one for one. I'm not even considering the cap space saved and 3rd rounder obtained. Those just put this over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad