Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

He's grown into a leader in the room. I don't think he's going anywhere.

We all thought it would be Mika and Kreider.... but its Strome and Trouba

During a pre game last month they played a clip from Strome and he said he's finally feeling like he's breaking out. He has a better understanding of what he needs to do and he's putting in more work to be a better player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He's grown into a leader in the room. I don't think he's going anywhere.

We all thought it would be Mika and Kreider.... but its Strome and Trouba

Man, Blackwell must be one hell of a poker player. He has one expression that works for everything haha

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He's also taken a lot less minor penalties per game this season. 16PIM in 44 games. That element of his game has improved each season he's been here along with the offensive stats.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Strome’s first 6 or 7 games this year nothing went right. Since then he’s been consistently good. It’s not that Chris and Mika aren’t very important locker room guys but stroke has stepped up too as well as Pavel and Trouba and Panarin and Fox are the guys that really give us an edge. Not sure how things are going to eventually work out but keeping all of Mika, Pavel and Strome seems nigh on impossible but I’m going to hate to see any of them go.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Strome scoring at a 78 points per 82 games pace this season. He’s a leader in the locker room. He plays hard and competes on the ice. Extend him. Move on from Eichel. We are good with zibby/Strome/Chytil down the middle.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Strome scoring at a 78 points per 82 games pace this season. He’s a leader in the locker room. He plays hard and competes on the ice. Extend him. Move on from Eichel. We are good with zibby/Strome/Chytil down the middle.
Not disagreeing but then what do we do with all the extra prospects we have? Keep Strome and move on from Zib?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not disagreeing but then what do we do with all the extra prospects we have? Keep Strome and move on from Zib?
I would argue that Strome + Chytil will cost less than a resigned Mika and certainly less in assets. Save the assets and make a really big move in a few years.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
This might come off as a hot take but I see Zib as more replaceable than Strome at this point. And that is more circumstantial rather than based on skill or talent. Mika is the better overall player, there is little debate on that. But Strome's chemistry with bread is undeniable at this point. Zib's chemistry with Buch and Kreids is suspect at times. Not only that but Zib has an injury and concussion history that I would prefer not to gamble on.

I think you trade Zib for some assets, package those assets with some of our other assets and get a new younger C in the market. Probably not Eichel but someone that is a young 1C.

Pretty sure this will not be a popular opinion but that's the way I would go at this point.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I need an analysis STAT about the lack of NYR red/white/blue in the baby wrappings here. Strome TRADED?!?!?! Strome protesting the organization since the firing of David Quinn, whom the daughter is obviously named after?!?!?! Where is our newborn expert, @Ola, when you need them?

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
This might come off as a hot take but I see Zib as more replaceable than Strome at this point. And that is more circumstantial rather than based on skill or talent. Mika is the better overall player, there is little debate on that. But Strome's chemistry with bread is undeniable at this point. Zib's chemistry with Buch and Kreids is suspect at times. Not only that but Zib has an injury and concussion history that I would prefer not to gamble on.

I think you trade Zib for some assets, package those assets with some of our other assets and get a new younger C in the market. Probably not Eichel but someone that is a young 1C.

Pretty sure this will not be a popular opinion but that's the way I would go at this point.

I don't disagree. Part of it is the cost. Strome should and will cost less. But in the case that Zibby demands a 5+ year contract, which he likely will, and he demands somewhere around 8.5 mil + per year, which is likely, I could perhaps see it being wise to let him walk and see if Strome will sign 2-3 seasons at around $5 mil per. Right now this is his final season of a 2 year deal at around 4.5 cap hit. So maybe he'd want a little more. Strome could play on the top line for a couple of years while we search for a replacement. On a much better contract that won't strap us long term at a high number.

There are some who think we need to bring in the center for the next decade because they have this idea that our top center needs to be a) young and b) play with the team for years, building chemistry before we could possibly win a cup. I disagree wholly with that concept, in that it doesn't take THAT long for good players to build chemistry, nor do we need the center of the future immediately. We could get by on bringing in a few different centers over the course of the next like 5 years or whatever, until we can find someone that fits well and brings stability. And I still think if we put the signals out there, into the atmosphere, that we were really interested in Austin Matthews in 2 years when his contract is up, he might consider not extending with the Leafs to try his hand as a UFA. In which case, I think we would stand a great chance of luring him to the Rangers. But we couldn't do that if we were strapped with Zibby at 8.5+ for 5+ years. And if AM doesn't work out, if he stays with the Leafs or whatever, there are other UFA that year and in the following years that would be suitable. And in that time, there is always the opportunity to trade or draft.

So really, I am not sweating it, nor do I think the team should be too concerned right now with bringing in that perfect young center this year or even next year. It would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I need an analysis STAT about the lack of NYR red/white/blue in the baby wrappings here. Strome TRADED?!?!?! Strome protesting the organization since the firing of David Quinn, whom the daughter is obviously named after?!?!?! Where is our newborn expert, @Ola, when you need them?

First he dropped the gloves against Washington and now he passes on this opportunity to play the guilt game.

Strome is growing on me.

On the other stuff, my strategy is to only evaluate two things when a kid is born: (1) is it on Twitter, (2) does the player try to play the guilt game.

The vast majority of analysts look at kids size, name, gender, when born/conceived and so forth. That’s irrelevant from my POV.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Oh man. The Shattenkirk baby saga :laugh:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Strome is the most shit-upon Ranger, here, but some fans always need to dump their bile on someone.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
What do we think will be Strome's next contract?
This will be his biggest pay day. He doesn't sign for anything less than 6 years and over 6 mill. I'm sure at least a couple of teams will offer that. The best center for Panarin is probably Mika anyways. Those two have enough skill to play E W come playoff time and actually still be able to produce. Also, that line desperately needs someone that can slow the puck down and make plays. If Kakko continues to improve and Laf starts to show some life the 2nd line would probably be Laf - 2c - Kakko next year. For Kakko to truly shine he's gonna need a more traditional center, but Panarin wants a center more in the mold of Mika or Strome who float around to try and sneak into open space while Panarin handles the puck. The rangers can't have their two top line centers be floating centers.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Between 6-7 mill per anywhere from 4-7 years.
Some team might be crazy enough to go that long
I refuse to believe that a team will commit 7m aav to Strome on deal with term.

I actually like Strome a lot, he can be very frustrating when he's playing like it's open hockey and he's just out for a skate and playing catch with Panarin and lollygagging on defense - but when he's engaged and playing at his best he's a very effective player and his chemistry with Panarin is undeniable.

The only reason I actually am not advocating for re-signing him is the cost and the fact that we need some diversity in the lineup. Although, if Strome was willing to sign a team friendly deal (5mx4 years or something?) I'd do it easily. The cap is the real problem.

*whispers*

Strome has been our best center, by far, this season.

we have a center problem but it's not because of Strome.
Yup, pretty comfortably too. And Strome hasn't even played his best IMO and he's still been our best center.

Last edited:
Reactions: duhmetreE

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
*whispers*

Strome has been our best center, by far, this season.

we have a center problem but it's not because of Strome.

He could be much better on face-offs but otherwise, yea, no complaints on his game so far.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He's been mixing it up physically too, which I appreciate.

He's owning his role and trying to add what Gallant wants from the forwards. I've also seen him communicating with Kakko a lot more.

I am seeing a lot of maturity in his game.

Say what you want about this guy - there are some warts due to his one dimensional play - but the effort is there to change that and he's trying to be a leader on and off the ice.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He's been mixing it up physically too, which I appreciate.

He's owning his role and trying to add what Gallant wants from the forwards. I've also seen him communicating with Kakko a lot more.

I am seeing a lot of maturity in his game.

Say what you want about this guy - there are some warts due to his one dimensional play - but the effort is there to change that and he's trying to be a leader on and off the ice.

I'd love Stromer back on a nice deal 4 or 5 year if possible he is only 28. he can get a nice contract from another team. Its up to him, if he wants to stay and keep playing with Panarin. Chemistry matters. What if he signed with the Flyers and doesn't produce much. That could be something Strome looks into when resigning with Rangers,, or signing with a new team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad