Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
he problem is that we painted ourselves in a corner, we basically had our head in the sand waiting for this year without adding a young center that could fit that role in the draft. We are in a real jam, anyone decent will already have a contract similar to what Strome would get, anyone young may not be ready or a gamble at this point. Poor positional drafting could pave the way to a too long deal for Strome
Eh... Chytil is looking mighty good these days. I think he may end up in Strome's spot next season.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Eh... Chytil is looking mighty good these days. I think he may end up in Strome's spot next season.
If Laf gets going this season a second line of Laf - Chytil - Kakko has good potential for next season. If Chytil can continue to distribute the puck as he has been recently you have a center that meshes with Kakko a lot better than Strome plus way more speed down the middle. You get a second line that plays a much different style than one with Mika or Strome centering it. They will be a grind the life out of you in the offensive zone/possession heavy line this team needs in the playoffs and will only get better as Chytil and Kakko grow more into their bodies and get stronger.

Reactions: Peltz

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
In 2-3 years, both Chytil and Barron are probably better centers than Strome and more suited to the type of game the front office wants them to play. Strome has been scoring at a 65-70 point pace. Even if they don’t match that (Chytil could or at least come close; Barron likely won’t even come close), they both play more complete games and can be more of a disruptive force on the opposition.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
In 2-3 years, both Chytil and Barron are probably better centers than Strome and more suited to the type of game the front office wants them to play. Strome has been scoring at a 65-70 point pace. Even if they don’t match that (Chytil could or at least come close; Barron likely won’t even come close), they both play more complete games and can be more of a disruptive force on the opposition.

:laugh:

Sure :thumbu:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Point a game, gets no respect
For as long as I have been a Rangers fan, I dont believe I have ever seen any one player get crapped on >Stromer. For someone that produces like he has with EVERY excuse reasoning for his production (Panarin), it just befuddles me.
He, more than anyone else last year (Kreider 2nd) was taking one dumb after stupid penalty and hurting the team. That was LAST year. Legit hate due. I see him doing everything he possibly could do, in being a responsible 200 foot center. He continues to feed Panerin, Or whomever else he is playing on a line with. I just don't really know why he deserves all this hate. There might come a day where we regret not having him, for sure Panarin will.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
For as long as I have been a Rangers fan, I dont believe I have ever seen any one player get crapped on >Stromer. For someone that produces like he has with EVERY excuse reasoning for his production (Panarin), it just befuddles me.
He, more than anyone else last year (Kreider 2nd) was taking one dumb after stupid penalty and hurting the team. That was LAST year. Legit hate due. I see him doing everything he possibly could do, in being a responsible 200 foot center. He continues to feed Panerin, Or whomever else he is playing on a line with. I just don't really know why he deserves all this hate. There might come a day where we regret not having him, for sure Panarin will.

Strome has really grown on me this season.

I will also mention that he says all the right things when answering questions, he is trying his best to be a leader on this team and has earned the A on his sweater. He has also made an effort to bring Kakko and the youth of this team along. Many players, including Hunt have mentioned his presence.

I see a guy who is maturing before our eyes. He has thrown the body around more often, has tried to mix it up on occasion when some fire is needed and when this teams toughness was questioned at the end of last season he was ballsy enough to go out and fight for his team. He didnt have to do that.

Say what you want about him, he is what he is as a player but its not like he's resting on his laurels and is complacent. He is trying to adapt his game to what the coach wants and understands there are parts of his game he can improve both on and off the ice, for this team to be a winner. He has cut down on the lazy penalties. He has become a true blue kind of guy. He loves the team he plays for and he is showing the fans that, all while continuing to produce, consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Things that are true re: Ryan Strome
1. He has been our best center this year
2. He is a useful player with or without Panarin
3. He is not the reason the Rangers are rough defensively at forward
4. He is not a sore spot/cancer on the powerplay

Things that are also true re: Ryan Strome
1. He is the only center (or even top 6 spot) that can be upgraded at all, so keeping him past this year would be a massive mistake.
2. He is ballsacks defensively. Like really bad. He is absolutely part of the problem of our forwards being bad defensively.
3. He is redundant skill set wise at the center position. It's not his fault really, the problem is Zibanejad is a winger playing center. But you can't have both I don't think.
4. This is anecdotal but there is nothing to me that says "leader" about him.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
That would be a step back unless something really improved in Chytil's game

you're probably right, but I think the org takes the chance that he will continue to improve if they go that route. Maybe it’s a season or two of reduced point production from that slot.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Did he kill a kitten or something? His thread gets bumped up only when he has done a bad thing.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t think anyone really hates him. Most just know he’s not going to be worth what he’s going to ask for.
I think he’s performed better ( production wise) then anyone would have thought in their wildest dreams.
It’s also true his resurgence came in 2 shortened lockout seasons against a lot of teams where the competition really wasn’t great.( again not his fault, covid restrictions).
There has been a bunch of times where he was exposed by more physical/stiffer/tighter/harder competition.
LaF is going to need to assume his spot on the PP, hopefully by next season.
He gets a lot of points on the PP by passing to fox or Panarin, and that’s where the magic takes over, but he has chemistry at even strength with panarin as well, there’s no doubts there.
As many have said, with Zibby signed for what he signed for, and what strome is going to want, it’s just not feasible or frankly a good idea to have both locked up long term as your 1-2 centers stylistically.
His biggest criticisms aren’t his Production, which is above average, it’s his D, physicality, 200ft game, and face offs. All very important aspects that centers need in playoff hockey.
Strome at 4.5 mill is a good deal for this team short term. Strome at 6 mill plus for 5 or more years is a liability with what Zibby just signed for.
He gets a lot of points, because he’s good with panarin and he’s rides shotgun on a very good PP ( when it’s working).
But like I’ve been saying, Panarin really hasn’t had any trouble playing with any center throughout his career. Except chytil unfortunately.
You take the decrease in points from panarin from 100pt to PPG-90pts and the center that’s replaces strome to 60-70 pts if they play an overall stronger game as a line and give up less.
Not to mention at least I for 1 think that we need to get our 1OA pick involved offensively. The hope is next season he hits the ground running at takes that spot on the PP. getting a couple easy points will do wonders for his confidence.
This season, there’s no need to fix what’s not broken if they are still performing and Stromes cap hit/term aren’t hurting us

Last edited:
Reactions: Chytilmania

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Sort of the same ilk as Buch. Good player but it will be hard to afford him and we may as well use our deep prospect pool to upgrade. Can't hold on to everyone.

Reactions: duhmetreE and CLW

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I don’t think anyone really hates him. Most just know he’s not going to be worth what he’s going to ask for.
I think he’s performed better ( production wise) then anyone would have thought in their wildest dreams.
It’s also true his resurgence came in 2 shortened lockout seasons against a lot of teams where the competition really wasn’t great.( again not his fault, covid restrictions).
There has been a bunch of times where he was exposed by more physical/stiffer/tighter/harder competition.
LaF is going to need to assume his spot on the PP, hopefully by next season.
He gets a lot of point on the PP by passing to fox or Panarin, and that’s where the magic takes over, but he has chemistry at even strength with panarin as well, there’s no doubts there.
As many have said, with Zibby signed for what he signed for, and what strome is going to want, it’s just not feasible or frankly a good idea to have both locked up long term as your 1-2 centers stylistically.
His biggest criticisms aren’t his Production, which is above average, it’s his D, physicality, 200ft game, and face offs. All very important aspects that centers need in playoff hockey.
Strome at 4.5 mill is a good deal for this team short term. Strome at 6 mill plus for 5 or more years is a liability with what Zibby just signed for.

@Kravtsov420 joins the conversation.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If Laf gets going this season a second line of Laf - Chytil - Kakko has good potential for next season. If Chytil can continue to distribute the puck as he has been recently you have a center that meshes with Kakko a lot better than Strome plus way more speed down the middle. You get a second line that plays a much different style than one with Mika or Strome centering it. They will be a grind the life out of you in the offensive zone/possession heavy line this team needs in the playoffs and will only get better as Chytil and Kakko grow more into their bodies and get stronger.
Ultimately, I don’t think you’re far off, and that’s what they are hoping for at FWD by next season.
Panarin-Zibby-Kreider
LaF-Chytil/New guy-Kakko
Goodrow-Barron-Blais
Hunt-Rooney/New guy-Reaves
Gauthier

I think Drury and Co hope this is the basis for our top 12 next season if/when strome and perhaps Rooney price themselves out.
I also hope we may see a Jones-Schneider 3rd pair to go with
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Vet
Shesty
New guy for back up

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
As long as we DO NOT SELF RENT HIM

Get something for him (if we're not resigning him)... I don't care what... something.
Nah I think self-renting is perfectly fine. There's no way Strome gets us anything of significant value and this will be the first taste of the playoffs (hopefully) for a lot of our young guys. I think winning an extra game or two, potentially, outweighs a 2nd and nothing prospect.

Reactions: TGWL and Crease

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020

probably more like……

panarin- chytil- Kakko
laf - Goodrow -(someone)

actually has laf been tried with Panarin yet?

Maybe a

kreider - zib - kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Laf

that really thins our third line

one thing is for certain with the amount Chytil shoots there will be no more complaints about the Panarin, Strome combo over passing.

TBD if that’s a good or bad thing

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As long as we DO NOT SELF RENT HIM

Get something for him (if we're not resigning him)... I don't care what... something.

Unless they fall way out of the playoff race, i don't think that's realistic. And as someone else mentioned, i don't think he'd be very valuable in a trade.

He can be productive with good players but i don't think he supplants or slots into any playoffs team top6 forwards as a center. Can't win faceoffs, isn't great defensively and doesn't drive the line offensively.

Reactions: tomobson

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Unless they fall way out of the playoff race, i don't think that's realistic. And as someone else mentioned, i don't think he'd be very valuable in a trade.

He can be productive with good players but i don't think he supplants or slots into any playoffs team top6 forwards as a center. Can't win faceoffs, isn't great defensively and doesn't drive the line offensively.

That's what annoys me about R.Strome. He's the only forward who is not asked to play a good overall game. The team has adapted to play to his strengths in the o-zone, where his admittedly good traits shine, and cover for his defensive shortcomings.

What we see now is peak Strome. He is not a bad player, but he is not a great one either and I feel he gets away with things because he has the "gift of the gab".

He is such a specialty player he feels like a luxury. His saving grace is that he seems to be peaking exactly at the right time, but then again the team supports him in doing so.

Reactions: tomobson

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Gonna be a lot of unnecessarily salty people when Strome signs his deal.
I'd rather have a complete Center at his price or both Kreider and Trouba.

Plus he's blocking Kakko on PP1. The only good thing about that is it could be saving us from a monster contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad