Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
8476458.jpg

Ryan Strome Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: eco's bones and Ori

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
So we got Ryan Strome, Ryan Lindgren, Yegor Rykov, KA Miller, Riley Hughes and Matt Bellesky (50% retained) for our 2 impending UFAs Rick Nash and Michael Grabner? Consider these a couple of very good trades that will be important down the road for the next decade

Boom ...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I like Ryan. It’s taken him about 10 games to shake Oilers losers out of him and start getting confident and comfortable.

We probably wouldn’t be able to find pieces to entice Arizona to trade Dylan to us instead of Chicago. I could see Chicago trying to workout something with us to get the brothers to play together.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don`t mind Strome for Ryan Spooner and I believe that is one of Gorton`s best trade aqusition as GM. I believe Strome can get even better when he get new players this summer and in 2019 draft when we hopefully win the lottery and Jack Hughes. At least that is my wish that we win something after this season is over. :)

Anyway one of the players I`m really happy with in this season so far and a huge OT goal last night which is good for his confidence after his game in Toronto.

Reactions: eco's bones

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I like Ryan. It’s taken him about 10 games to shake Oilers losers out of him and start getting confident and comfortable.

We probably wouldn’t be able to find pieces to entice Arizona to trade Dylan to us instead of Chicago. I could see Chicago trying to workout something with us to get the brothers to play together.
For the love of God, what is the obsession of having brothers on the same team? Why? Why? Why can't two brothers enjoy being NHL players in two different cities without people trying to put them on the same team?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He ain't the greatest skater but he's an involved player with a good head for the game--in those respects he reminds me a little of Derek Stepan. You can use him on the PK--he'll drop the gloves once in a while--he finds ways of chipping in on offense. Despite the points Spooner got for us after the deadline last year I was never a fan. Spooner is a peripheral player who is not at all defensively responsible and giving him a $4 mil per year contract to me was kind of insane. I much prefer Strome. Much better all around game and a lot more competitive player.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Listening to his post-game last night, you can tell he's not shy about speaking. Maybe he's one of those good, vocal locker room guys who will speak up when necessary. A very good complementary piece.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Since coming here he has played at a 21-goal, 39-point pace. That's playing in a limited role on a bad team. I think his production has been impressive, and I think he has been a really nice addition. I mean if he maintained a 20-goal, 40-point pace through a whole season he wouldn't even really be overpaid. Hopefully he can replicate this next year and be a part of the solution moving forward.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Since coming here he has played at a 21-goal, 39-point pace. That's playing in a limited role on a bad team. I think his production has been impressive, and I think he has been a really nice addition. I mean if he maintained a 20-goal, 40-point pace through a whole season he wouldn't even really be overpaid. Hopefully he can replicate this next year and be a part of the solution moving forward.
Jimmy Vesey production for about a million more a season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I don't think teams care one iota about brothers playing together. Maybe the Strome brothers do, but neither is in a position to make that happen.

It's funny though that Dylan is doing so well. I remember a lot of people not wanting him in the Stepan deal.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Strome has been getting a LOT of icetime over the past few months.

He’s generally been playing about 16 minutes a night on average since January.

He’s been pretty good the last chunk of the season, though. 15 points in his last 20 games, pretty solid.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think teams care one iota about brothers playing together. Maybe the Strome brothers do, but neither is in a position to make that happen.

It's funny though that Dylan is doing so well. I remember a lot of people not wanting him in the Stepan deal.

Not I. People are so obsessed if a 20 year old isn't putting up 80 points that it means they are a bust. Just look at the Andersson critics.

Reactions: Calad

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
i know many folks will think this is nuts,
but i think they should name Strome Captain.
as in a Dave Maloney/Vic Hadfield/Kelly Kisio/Bob Nevin/Ryan Callahan type captain

He plays in all situations, works hard, gets involved, makes guys better.
He is doing well under Quinn, and seems trusted by Quinn.

I am not a fan of making your best or most important player captain, expect for obvious exceptions (Mess, Crosby, for 2).

IMHO, making McD captain undermined his continued development as one of the best all around D-men.

Give Strome the C, give A's (or rotating A's) to among Zib, Staal, Fast, Kreider

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i know many folks will think this is nuts

You're right. It is nuts. I like Strome, but is he a part of our core going forward? Even if management feels that way, which I very much doubt, he has been here for less than a full season. We have no idea what he is like in the locker room, if he actually speaks up and fills a leadership role. No, our captain doesn't need to be our best player, but he does need to actually be a leader and someone we anticipate being here for a long time. I can't say with any certainty that Strome meets either of those qualifications.

Reactions: Kupo

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's been a strong addition to the team. Can't be disappointed with what he's bringing to the table. It'll be interesting to see where he fits in long term and if he can keep building on the last couple months of strong play. Plenty of talent there but always seemed to be a little over his head. Having some confidence seems to be doing a lot for him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For the love of God, what is the obsession of having brothers on the same team? Why? Why? Why can't two brothers enjoy being NHL players in two different cities without people trying to put them on the same team?

For the love of god, overreacting much?

If I had a chance to play with a brother, everything else being equal, I’d love it!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
His versatility is a major asset. It’s gives Quinn options when laying out his roster. He’s a good 3rd line player who plays in all situations. That and he is a RFA at the end of his current deal and he should be around a while as a nice veteran depth piece for this organization. He’s been a real nice add by Gorton.

Reactions: belford222

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
For the love of god, overreacting much?

If I had a chance to play with a brother, everything else being equal, I’d love it!
Just stop. Every time two brothers put on an NHL sweater, it takes about 45 seconds for someone to suggest they need to be on the same team. I am so glad this board did not exist when there were 6 Sutter brothers in the league at the same time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You're right. It is nuts. I like Strome, but is he a part of our core going forward? Even if management feels that way, which I very much doubt, he has been here for less than a full season. We have no idea what he is like in the locker room, if he actually speaks up and fills a leadership role. No, our captain doesn't need to be our best player, but he does need to actually be a leader and someone we anticipate being here for a long time. I can't say with any certainty that Strome meets either of those qualifications.
Is he a part of the core going forward? Good question actually. He could be. Solid third line player who actually has been good enough to take competent shifts on the 2nd line. Can play center and has no problem sliding to wing. Adapted his game to what Quinn wants.

He is only 25. Quinn has showed an ability to extract a players talent. Is he essential? No. But with the way that he is playing, I would have no problem with him being a part of the solution going forward. A third line with him and Nametsnikov is not that bad. Of course the problem with that is pure numbers as far as having room for Anderson & Lemieux to play minutes.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
You're right. It is nuts. I like Strome, but is he a part of our core going forward? ... our captain ... does need to actually be a leader, and someone we anticipate being here for a long time. I can't say with any certainty that Strome meets either of those qualifications.

but why couldn't he be part of core going forward?
i think people are focusing on what NYR paid for him, rather than what he has shown; its a fact NYR were able to 'buy low' on Strome

he was good with Isles, traded for a $6M player, and
like many, didn't excel with the tire-fire that EO have been the last 2 seasons

a 25-year-old top-5 pick, after a couple weeks transition, he has been damn good

to me , he has filled the gap since Nash was traded, and even moreso since Hayes was traded, as a robust, reliable 2-way forward who makes his line better and keeps the opponent alert

i didn't expect it, but he has convinced me

does every member of the emerging core need to be 22 or younger?

Reactions: belford222

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
but why couldn't he be part of core going forward?
i think people are focusing on what NYR paid for him, rather than what he has shown; its a fact NYR were able to 'buy low' on Strome

he was good with Isles, traded for a $6M player, and
like many, didn't excel with the tire-fire that EO have been the last 2 seasons

a 25-year-old top-5 pick, after a couple weeks transition, he has been damn good

to me , he has filled the gap since Nash was traded, and even moreso since Hayes was traded, as a robust, reliable 2-way forward who makes his line better and keeps the opponent alert

i didn't expect it, but he has convinced me

does every member of the emerging core need to be 22 or younger?

He could be part of the core. I just think it's way too early to pencil him in there. He has another year on his contract. Let's see what he does with it. Like I said, even if Gorton considers him to be a core player, he has only been here for a short time, and we have no idea what sort of voice he is in the locker room. The idea that we would hand him the captaincy is, frankly, absurd at this point. There's no rush to name a captain. Let's see if Strome is even here beyond his current contract before we start thinking about putting a letter on his sweater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->