Player Discussion Ryan Strome

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'd love Stromer back on a nice deal 4 or 5 year if possible he is only 28. he can get a nice contract from another team. Its up to him, if he wants to stay and keep playing with Panarin. Chemistry matters. What if he signed with the Flyers and doesn't produce much. That could be something Strome looks into when resigning with Rangers,, or signing with a new team.

Personally I think he really loves NY and wants to stay here, but he'll need to get a decent bump and term to stay. He and his agent understand that all of his recent success will translate into a very nice UFA deal, one that he may not have a chance to get again.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's going to get Kevin Hayes money.

Francis is a terrible GM. I can see him signing Strome.

I can also see Ottawa giving him term.

Reactions: tomobson

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We better hardball the f*** out of him. Strome isn’t the kind of player you give into their ask for. He can stay here and play with Panarin on our terms or he can f*** right off to being a 20 point player again.

Reactions: Sayba and Synergy27

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
There's no need for hostility. Strome deserves some credit for his success. It's not all from playing with Panarin.
he's still a shitty hockey player who is only here because he has chemistry with a top 5 player on the planet.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I think 5 years x $6-6.25 million is the right price for him. I've made this comparison in here before, but his career trajectory was very similar to Brayden Schenn.

Re-signing Strome does represent risk, but he has elite chemistry with Panarin, and now with Kakko producing, I don't think it's a coincidence. Strome is important to that. He desperately needs to work on and bump that faceoff % though.

I would personally slide Chytil to wing, and then explore trades for a third line center who wins faceoffs. I think the Rangers need a Tyler Bozak/Lars Eller type right now moreso than an upgrade on Strome. I don't understand how they let Christian Dvorak slide past them, but he is the guy I would target now that the Canadiens are imploding. He has been brutal this season, but I think that is circumstantial more than anything else. He's the guy to buy low on especially at that cap hit. Another guy who is admittedly going to be hard to pry, but would fit this team right now perfectly is Boone Jenner.

The Capitals have Eller, the Blues had/have Bozak, the Lightning have Cirelli. I believe you look into acquiring a player like that on top of Zibanejad and Strome, and then worst comes to worst, Strome is moveable later in a similar way Brassard was.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I hate Strome but he’s been good lately. If only he rounded out his game a bit, I’d be happy to keep him here.

I don't think he can. He is a smart guy and doing what he can, like he got annoyed with his game against Toronto and tried to get involved physically to get his personal game going. But the way he is deployed now is supporting his strengths with Panarin and Kakko taking up the defensive duties and Strome roaming up top.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
he's still a shitty hockey player who is only here because he has chemistry with a top 5 player on the planet.

When Panarin was gone during last season, I swear Strome was almost a PPG player wasn't he?

I've never been the biggest fan of his but I'll call a spade a spade, he's a good player.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

DazeHereToAmaze91

Nov 14, 2021
Listen,

He's been great for us from a point scoring POV, there's no doubt about that. But Panarin is definitely a huge part of that. And yes he played very good for like 10 games or so when Panarin was gone due to Russia being Russia.

But that's such a small sample size.

The fact of the matter is Strome is a glorified winger who's not good defensively or on draws. Has he performed about expectations for us? Most definitely.

Is he someone you want as your #2 C if you want to compete? No.

We need a Horvat, Hertl or O'Reilly type of player on that line if we ever want to compete for real. But it's hard to obtain those players and it's going to take a lot of creative thinking to fit a clear upgrade on that line with our cap situation.

Nemeth has been solid but I never liked that signing. Jones has shown enough to get that spot, if he didn't play well we could've just traded or signed a stop gap then. Why did we give out 3 years at that caphit? That's too much. If that was the price due to a bidding war, just pull out.

Back to Strome. He has exceeded expectations. But if you guys really want the Rangers do to damage in the playoffs, we need a legit C with Panarin. Not some winger who pretends He's a C.

Reactions: CLW

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't think Strome is a long-term fit here but the guy played arguably his best hockey as a Ranger last year when Panarin was dealing with stuff back in Russia. He might be largely a complimentary player with Panarin but he's hardly incapable of producing without him.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Peltz

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think it’s unlikely they sign Strome long term but deep down I know there’s a possibility they re-sign him for some absurd contract

And then the team will spend the next 5 years wondering why they never won anything when they locked up two centers for big money who play the exact same game

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think it’s unlikely they sign Strome long term but deep down I know there’s a possibility they re-sign him for some absurd contract

And then the team will spend the next 5 years wondering why they never won anything when they locked up two centers for big money who play the exact same game

They'll be wonderin why they never drafted young centers that could fit the top 6 role and loaded up on 20 defensemen instead. I dont think Strome gets a fair shake here but if he is here past next year its because management never planned for this day.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If Strome was a couple years younger I would have no problem locking him up, but locking in another 29 year old center as much as I like the guy is something I would like to avoid. However, there really don't seem to be any better options that will be more affordable and better at the moment so I don't know what else there is to do. As long as it's not as immovable as Zibanejad's contract I guess it wouldn't be too terrible.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I don't think Strome is a long-term fit here but the guy played arguably his best hockey as a Ranger last year when Panarin was dealing with stuff back in Russia. He might be largely a complimentary player with Panarin but he's hardly incapable of producing without him.
He produced but his line also got destroyed defensively if I recall correctly. I think if you give Panarin and Mika some time they will have no trouble producing at around the same rate and then the rangers can get a more responsible center for the 2nd line.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don't remember much from last game. What I do remember is in the first period (?), Strome being visible irate, slashing the glass right in front of Kaapo's face and being pissed off at Kaapo?

I wont buy the "he was pissed at himself"- take, if that even exists. I hope he doesn't do it again.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I don't remember much from last game. What I do remember is in the first period (?), Strome being visible irate, slashing the glass right in front of Kaapo's face and being pissed off at Kaapo?

I wont buy the "he was pissed at himself"- take, if that even exists. I hope he doesn't do it again.
giphy.gif

Strome talking to Kakko on the bench.

Reactions: Doctyl and tomobson

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I personally would not re-sign Strome. He's too similar to Zib and we need another kind of center in the top 6. I also don't see how we can afford what he will likely command.

That said, the team needs to decide what it wants to do. If Strome is gone after this year, then the team needs to turn him into draft/prospect capital. If they intend to bring him back, then that extension needs to be done BEFORE the trade deadline. The absolute dumbest thing the team could do is wait until after the TDL (ie: when most of Strome's value will be gone and he can then up his asking price and bend the team over a barrel).

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I like Strome, I think he's good value right now, but I'm also scared of his next contract. The problem is that we painted ourselves in a corner, we basically had our head in the sand waiting for this year without adding a young center that could fit that role in the draft. We are in a real jam, anyone decent will already have a contract similar to what Strome would get, anyone young may not be ready or a gamble at this point. Poor positional drafting could pave the way to a too long deal for Strome

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Strome will sign a big contract and turn into Stepan 2.0 if not worse because at least Stepan had better hockey IQ.

We got Strome for Ryan Spooner and got some really good production out of him. But the worts in his game are far more riskier than the positives.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
If Strome is replaced in the line-up, it would be a steep order expecting his successor to come close to his 60-70 point pace over the last 3-4 years. I just don’t see a highly-paid tandem of Zibanejad/Strome being satisfactory for a coach like Gallant, though, who clearly expects a more focused 2-way game from his top players. If Strome is dealt, I would imagine it’s for something like a 2nd and a reclamation project or a late-first straight-up.

Chytil has been much more noticeable lately, and if he keeps the ball rolling then the question of Strome’s future should err further and further toward a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad