Player Discussion Ryan Strome

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
How many bad penalties has he taken this year that you needed to mention it?

He's only take 5 minors across 23 games, and 2 were in the same game vs. Philly. How many of those were bad/lazy/untimely, I don't know.

Makes me wonder if there's somewhere that tracks if a player's penalty gets converted to a goal against.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's only take 5 minors across 23 games, and 2 were in the same game vs. Philly. How many of those were bad/lazy/untimely, I don't know.

Makes me wonder if there's somewhere that tracks if a player's penalty gets converted to a goal against.

Only 5 minor and folks still feel a need to mention it, amiright?

Otherwise I'd view bad penalties not in terms of opponents converting on PP opportunity but rather situational - offensive and neutral zone holding or interference are mostly bad penalties.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He was also a third line player, at best.
Yea but an excellent one. And 3 million is what 3rd liners are pretty much paid. He didn’t sign some crazy over the top deal. It’s all relative. We might have a chance to sign strome to a shorter deal, because as stated above A lot of other teams will be leery of giving him that kind of cash. But on the flip side, there’s always a market for centers and right handed defensemen since Moses wore short pants

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yea but an excellent one. And 3 million is what 3rd liners are pretty much paid. He didn’t sign some crazy over the top deal. It’s all relative. We might have a chance to sign strome to a shorter deal, because as stated above A lot of other teams will be leery of giving him that kind of cash. But on the flip side, there’s always a market for centers and right handed defensemen since Moses wore short pants
That is what I believe as far as teams being leery to play him as if he is a 70 point player. 55 or so? Well, that has pretty much what he has been, no?

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Not understanding. You cannot see another team giving him that much?

ok - i'll backpedal a little. i see three teams with some cap space that might explore signing strome. devils, panthers and redwings. out of the 3 florida most likely could make an offer, as they might not want to go with wennberg for another year. are the devils happy with zacha?

still 7 million a year for a player who has any prolonged success with 1 out of 3 teams in his career is a bit much.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ok - i'll backpedal a little. i see three teams with some cap space that might explore signing strome. devils, panthers and redwings. out of the 3 florida most likely could make an offer, as they might not want to go with wennberg for another year. are the devils happy with zacha?

still 7 million a year for a player who has any prolonged success with 1 out of 3 teams in his career is a bit much.
And I cannot see him getting a $7m deal. Especially not with a flat cap.

Reactions: Fitzy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And I cannot see him getting a $7m deal. Especially not with a flat cap.
The length of the deal they would give him is far more concerning to me. Maybe he signs a 2 year deal and surprises us but I just can’t see it

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
EweJEkmWEAADuUC

Offensive Wins Above Replacement, entire league, as of this morning.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think all you have to do is look at the results from that chart and you should immediately be able to tell whatever method they are using is not any good.
There are a couple of weird results, yes, but I think the problem with analytics discourse on this site is that people take a couple of weird results and just toss out the entire point which was that Strome has been very good this year. I mean, has he not been?

Nobody said the method was perfect and that everyone on the list would be where they belong.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
I'm almost starting to wonder if we don't kick the tires on bringing Strome back for something reasonable.

Crazy talk, I know!
I'm all for bringing back Strome at a reasonable price. He's a fine 2 C for us and his chemistry with Panarin is better than anyone else on the roster. The bigger issue is whether Mika will be our long term 1C. We shit a lot on Strome but his production as a Ranger really is astounding.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nah not exactly crazy talk.
It just feels like it because I was against this guy for awhile.

He's just annoying in a lot of ways -- takes penalties, not great defensively, not good on the powerplay. And then there was the whole Panarin thing.

But if he's gonna produce at even strength whether Panarin is there or not like he has this season, I'll deal with annoying for first line offense.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It just feels like it because I was against this guy for awhile.

He's just annoying in a lot of ways -- takes penalties, not great defensively, not good on the powerplay. And then there was the whole Panarin thing.

But if he's gonna produce at even strength whether Panarin is there or not like he has this season, I'll deal with annoying for first line offense.

Lot of us were against this guy.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Ryan Strome has finally developed into the Ryäń Strömê the Oilers and Islanders had hoped for.

Henceforth, Ryäń Strömê will be pronounced Rye-yawn Strome-me

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Ryan Strome has finally developed into the Ryäń Strömê the Oilers and Islanders had hoped for.

Henceforth, Ryäń Strömê will be pronounced Rye-yawn Strome-me
Exactly. He is a decent 5th overall pick on a cheap contract who has become what his pre draft expectations were. I'm all for better options but I don't see any in the very near future.

Reactions: Tob

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm resurrecting this thread from 5 pages back for good reason.

Everyone saw that insane goal with Artemiy rushing up the ice, stopping on a dime in open space and firing a laser behind Blackwood.

But if you watch that several times it becomes very clear that not many players would've timed that pass in such a way for it to happen. Takes a damn good amount of awareness, communication and chemistry with Panarin to pull off a play like that.

It happened in an instant and almost looked like Strome was expecting it. He started the pass the moment Panarin stopped. That's like mindmeld shit. Joe Mic said "who does that?" - well you need a guy to pass you the puck in that spot to have it happen in the first place.

Then he hustles to a puck and throws blind pass across the crease to sneaking Panarin for another one.

Strome has 131 points with the Rangers is very close to a point a game player this season, after a dreadful (but short) start to the season.

We see Panarin in all of his greatness and I dont want to take away any of that but I had to give Strome his due. He's been excellent and showing why he was drafted 5th overall.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm resurrecting this thread from 5 pages back for good reason.

Everyone saw that insane goal with Artemiy rushing up the ice, stopping on a dime in open space and firing a laser behind Blackwood.

But if you watch that several times it becomes very clear that not many players would've timed that pass in such a way for it to happen. Takes a damn good amount of awareness, communication and chemistry with Panarin to pull off a play like that.

It happened in an instant and almost looked like Strome was expecting it. He started the pass the moment Panarin stopped. That's like mindmeld shit.

Then he hustles to a puck and throws blind pass across the crease to sneaking Panarin for another one.

Strome has 131 points with the Rangers is very close to a point a game player this season, after a dreadful (but short) start to the season.

We see Panarin in all of his greatness and I dont want to take away any of that but I had to give Strome his due. He's been excellent and showing why he was drafted 5th overall.

Strome's assist was by far more difficult to execute than Panarin's shot.

At this point I am not completely sure which Gorton's trade was the biggest value gain - Zibanejad & 2nd for Brassard & 7 or Strome for Spooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Strome and the deal to get him flies under the radar because he's been a little bit of a whipping boy with the fan base.

But that deal was grand larceny. He's actually improved as a Ranger, even if you want to discount that he's been next to Panarin this whole time. Any other center in this franchise would not have the same chemistry. We are talking about a 74 point season this year if its a full slate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->