Player Discussion Ryan Strome

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He's a polarizing player like so many.

I think this all the time but its really not that true. Even though people argue about him constantly, most people generally agree on the basics.

Sure, the mood on Strome changes depending on what kind of streak he is on. The first 2/3 of this season the whole team was a mess, his puck luck was terrible, no one was giving him any help, and he was on pace for like 35 points and some people wanted to shoot him into space. Now his luck is better, he's got linemates who are producing (including a white hot Kreider) and people are showing him some love.

But at the end of the day pretty much everyone agrees on what Strome is: easily one of our 3 best centers (blocking absolutely no one) who is pretty good offensively (usually), not very good defensively (usually) and at the end of the day is probably a guy you keep around as long as it makes sense under the cap.

I doubt even his biggest detractors or fans deviate much from that assessment. The rest is just noise.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's interesting because even though I'm hesitant to commit to Strome, in the back of my head I have the decision to go with Drury/Gomez over Nylander ending up being a disaster for Jagr.

They aren't the exact same scenario, a lot of variables, but theres no doubt in my mind we should have re-signed Nylander and gone with Nylander, Gomez, Cullen down the middle instead of shooting for the moon and ending up with a problem.

Chemistry matters. Jagr didn't hit his bonus year in part because he was playing with a rookie Dubinsky and Brad Isbister most of the year.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i wish we could find a way to get that dolan guy.

avtr_dd738ce140315f8cfe6d7bddffe1550f_original.gif

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Ok. Who? Who are you bringing in to be a top-6 center who fits the bill as being younger and cheaper?

You need not be comfortable, but you need to have a better idea of what you are replacing him with. What player are you plugging into a top-2 line center roll and what did it cost you to acquire such a player given that if he is cheaper, then he is making less than the $4.5 that Strome is getting? Oh, AND is younger. Who is this player?
Middle 6. And I don’t know yet. I’m not the GM. By all means ride strome s current deal to the end, but no freaking way I’m locking him up at 6 mill plus for multiple years. That’s foolish. He’s got way to much MEH on his resume then the last year and a half of good sprinkled with bad moments. Mainly defensive gaffs and dumb penalties

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Middle 6. And I don’t know yet. I’m not the GM. By all means ride strome s current deal to the end, but no freaking way I’m locking him up at 6 mill plus for multiple years. That’s foolish. He’s got way to much MEH on his resume then the last year and a half of good sprinkled with bad moments. Mainly defensive gaffs and dumb penalties
That is fine, but who? What center who is younger than Strome and makes less than Strome are you trading for? There is not a single player like that coming up as UFA. So now you need to deal assets for him. And no team is trading you such a young center. Unless you REALLY fork over assets. So my question remains.....what does the trade profile look like, both in terms of what is being given up and what is being acquired?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That is fine, but who? What center who is younger than Strome and makes less than Strome are you trading for? There is not a single player like that coming up as UFA. So now you need to deal assets for him. And no team is trading you such a young center. Unless you REALLY fork over assets. So my question remains.....what does the trade profile look like, both in terms of what is being given up and what is being acquired?
I don’t know at this time, the decision doesn’t have to be made by tonight or noon tomorrow. Things are fluid. Someone could request a trade, have a contract dispute, or we can draft someone maybe not even a first rounder that surprises us all. Who knows. But bet your sweet ass I’d exhaust any and all options before I hand Ryan strome multiple years at near 7 million. Thats a quick way to get in cap hell

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
strome - 5.5 mill per year + signing bonus 3 years. if his agent can do better than that with another team b-bye then.

if anything that is cap hell it's that trouba contract.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think this all the time but its really not that true. Even though people argue about him constantly, most people generally agree on the basics.

Sure, the mood on Strome changes depending on what kind of streak he is on. The first 2/3 of this season the whole team was a mess, his puck luck was terrible, no one was giving him any help, and he was on pace for like 35 points and some people wanted to shoot him into space. Now his luck is better, he's got linemates who are producing (including a white hot Kreider) and people are showing him some love.

But at the end of the day pretty much everyone agrees on what Strome is: easily one of our 3 best centers (blocking absolutely no one) who is pretty good offensively (usually), not very good defensively (usually) and at the end of the day is probably a guy you keep around as long as it makes sense under the cap.

I doubt even his biggest detractors or fans deviate much from that assessment. The rest is just noise.

tell it like it is brother

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
strome - 5.5 mill per year + signing bonus 3 years. if his agent can do better than that with another team b-bye then.

Trouba is def 1-1.5 over market for his services. But that contract is very movable in year 4-5. He’ll still be at top 4 D and the end of his current deal. Unlike Staal and Girardi were. They’re best days were behind them. Big minute eating Right handed D with a mean streak will always have some demand unless every team somehow gets 2 or 3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t know at this time, the decision doesn’t have to be made by tonight or noon tomorrow. Things are fluid. Someone could request a trade, have a contract dispute, or we can draft someone maybe not even a first rounder that surprises us all. Who knows. But bet your sweet ass I’d exhaust any and all options before I hand Ryan strome multiple years at near 7 million. Thats a quick way to get in cap hell
I am not saying anything needs to be done. But the probabilities of landing a middle 3 center who is a) younger than Strome and b) makes a lot less than Strome are practically nil as teams tend to hoard players like that.

Eichel would cost a lot more and leave holes throughout the lineup. Mika would cost a lot more and force you to start to trade away players you really do not want to (looking at Buchnevich here).

Keeping Strome for the medium term (let's call it 3 years) allows to maintain flexibility under the cap and for you to continue to evaluate trade targets and/or the cost of bringing them on.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

And if it is $6.5m, what then? Bye-bye? Fine, what center are you replacing him with? What does he look like? What is it going to cost in assets to bring him in?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

This is pretty much spot on.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I am not saying anything needs to be done. But the probabilities of landing a middle 3 center who is a) younger than Strome and b) makes a lot less than Strome are practically nil as teams tend to hoard players like that.

Eichel would cost a lot more and leave holes throughout the lineup. Mika would cost a lot more and force you to start to trade away players you really do not want to (looking at Buchnevich here).

Keeping Strome for the medium term (let's call it 3 years) allows to maintain flexibility under the cap and for you to continue to evaluate trade targets and/or the cost of bringing them on.
2-3 is a different animal. I’m a betting man, and with this current market strome and his agent are gonna want at least 5 given the small amount of center depth out there. This is his big 1 his retirement contract. I don’t think we’re going to see a 2 or 3 year deal but I could be wrong. I’m not infallible. But if this is the case I’d rather roll Chytil and pay less for a guy like Lowry as our 2-3. Or even a young unknown worse dirt cheap like Hendriksson and sign an experienced 4th line c for 2yrs 1.5 mill

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
2-3 is a different animal. I’m a betting man, and with this current market strome and his agent are gonna want at least 5 given the small amount of center depth out there. This is his big 1 his retirement contract. I don’t think we’re going to see a 2 or 3 year deal but I could be wrong. I’m not infallible
And this is a legit possibility. But I am also looking at 1) playing where his career got resurrected b) playing for a team in which he is trusted by the front office and coaching staff c) being able to play with a Panarin and finally d) taking less to play with a team that is clearly building for something big in the not too distant a future.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And this is a legit possibility. But I am also looking at 1) playing where his career got resurrected b) playing for a team in which he is trusted by the front office and coaching staff c) being able to play with a Panarin and finally d) taking less to play with a team that is clearly building for something big in the not too distant a future.
It’s all going to come down to the cash and the term. I guess it will be revisited, but I do not trust players doing right by the rangers or their agents lol. This is the front office that wouldn’t give fast an extra year at 3mill. And he was our beloved Swiss army knife

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
And if it is $6.5m, what then? Bye-bye? Fine, what center are you replacing him with? What does he look like? What is it going to cost in assets to bring him in?

i get what you are saying. his departure will leave a huge void that is going to be a royal pain the ass to fill. i want the guy to stay.

i just can't see him asking for 6-7 million a year and any other team matching that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s all going to come down to the cash and the term. I guess it will be revisited, but I do not trust players doing right by the rangers or their agents lol. This is the front office that wouldn’t give fast an extra year at 3mill. And he was our beloved Swiss army knife
He was also a third line player, at best.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i get what you are saying. his departure will leave a huge void that is going to be a royal pain the ass to fill. i want the guy to stay.

i just can't see him asking for 6-7 million a year and any other team matching that.
Not understanding. You cannot see another team giving him that much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad