Player Discussion Ryan Strome

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome is a 2C, not a 3C. The question is whether or not he's the type of 2C that you want on your team if it's trying to be a contender.
Exactly. Since he has come to the Rangers, his production is not as a third line center. To tell the truth, his game is not really what one thinks of as a third line center. One can try to make up all the excuses in the world that they want, but over the 156 games he has played as a Rangers, he has shown himself to be a 2nd line center. That is not really debatable any more. Debate where in that range he is, fine.

He is a 2C who, when playing with the team's best player, produces like a 1C. And contrary to popular belief, not not anyone can do it.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's a polarizing player like so many. The lazy back checking and offensive zone penalties will be there most of the time but can be forgotten when he's having multi-point games.

Personally I wish he was a different kind of player but then again you don't get players like that for Ryan Spooner. I can see why people hate him and why people stand up for him.

The best part about him is he does seem to be one of the leaders in the room, one of the most liked, and that does go a long way.

He used to stand out in these categories in the past but it doesn't look he's an offender in these categories this year. Not more than average per icetime compared to league average, nor compared to other NY Rangers, even before you put offensive production on the other scale.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
the issue with Strome moving forward is he’s gonna want a lot more money when his contract is up, and I’m not a fan of giving him said money. I think he’s gonna be one of the players who isn’t protected, but I’m not totally sure. I think he’s fine for now, though he can be incredibly frustrating. But if he’s looking for a $3mm+ raise, I don’t want to give it to him.

Supporters always pointed out that Strome was here to hold 2C position while providing protection for Chytil's development into that role and from that perspective and with production to cost ratio - he's done admirably. So I don't understand what's so INCREDIBLY frustrating about it? The other thing is where did you get this $3mm+ increase from? Even from AAV perspective this would make him a close to $8mm player - are you just throwing shit out there?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Supporters always pointed out that Strome was here to hold 2C position while providing protection for Chytil's development into that role and from that perspective and with production to cost ratio - he's done admirably. So I don't understand what's so INCREDIBLY frustrating about it? The other thing is where did you get this $3mm+ increase from? Even from AAV perspective this would make him a close to $8mm player - are you just throwing shit out there?

$3mm would make him paid $7.5mm/year. That’s 2C money. If he continues to produce this way, you don’t think he’ll be asking for at least that? Do you think he’s worth at least that? I don’t, but I wouldn’t hold it against him for asking that, because that’s market value.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
But what he has been doing is not 3C. It is a 2C and a pretty cheap one at that.

points wise, better then a 2c. I think he has 10 in his last 8. That’s first line production. His overall game... that’s debatable. I don’t think he’s been as bad as the first 10 games or so he played

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
$3mm would make him paid $7.5mm/year. That’s 2C money. If he continues to produce this way, you don’t think he’ll be asking for at least that? Do you think he’s worth at least that? I don’t, but I wouldn’t hold it against him for asking that, because that’s market value.

Ok. Your number had "+" so I rounded up. Regardless, I really doubt he will ask, let alone be offered $7.5m.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
points wise, better then a 2c. I think he has 10 in his last 8. That’s first line production. His overall game... that’s debatable. I don’t think he’s been as bad as the first 10 games or so he played
His overall game has flaws. Of course. Which is why he is a 2C and not a 1C. There are plenty of players that are better. There are players that are worse. Were he more consistent and more refined as a players, he would not be thought of as he is. But there is no one that you can bring in right now, what would not cost assets to part with or be on a similar contract.

With what is here on wing, D & goal, I have no problem heading into the intermediate term with he and Chytil as the centers.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Ok. Your number had "+" so I rounded up. Regardless, I really doubt he will ask, let alone be offered $7.5m.
I think he will is my point. That’s the market value for a quality 2C. His point totals are 2C level. He’ll be a full UFA when his contract expires.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think he will is my point. That’s the market value for a quality 2C. His point totals are 2C level. He’ll be a full UFA when his contract expires.

I don't think 7.5 m is 2C money. I think that's more in the realm of 6M for a UFA, and that's when the market is normal. Right now with the flat cap all estimates are off.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
when the time comes will zib and strome be satisfied wit:

zib 8 million 3 years plus signing bonus
strome 5.5 million 3 years plus signing bonus?

i would think strome would be happy with that, considering how she was in the shithouse in edmonton as compared to being here. i like the chemistry on ice he has with panarin , buch and chytil . basically when he's not messing up too badly overall he gels pretty well with anyone on the 1st or 2nd line. overall way more pluses and minuses.

zibs - i dunno - would he target the 10 million mark, which would be practically doubling his annual salary?

and if chytil hits his stride he'll be looking at 4-5 million as well.

what to do - what to do

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think 7.5 m is 2C money. I think that's more in the realm of 6M for a UFA, and that's when the market is normal. Right now with the flat cap all estimates are off.
Am betting that he will be able to be had in that $6-$6.5m range

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
His overall game has flaws. Of course. Which is why he is a 2C and not a 1C. There are plenty of players that are better. There are players that are worse. Were he more consistent and more refined as a players, he would not be thought of as he is. But there is no one that you can bring in right now, what would not cost assets to part with or be on a similar contract.

With what is here on wing, D & goal, I have no problem heading into the intermediate term with he and Chytil as the centers.
Agree with that. There are way more pressing needs then him and Chytil flipping back and fourth between 2c and 3c for the next year or so. What to do long term with Zibby, and identifying potential trade targets to replace him if they chose to move on should be paramount. That and who they should draft, because it could be another to 5-10 pick this year as well

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agree with that. There are way more pressing needs then him and Chytil flipping back and fourth between 2c and 3c for the next year or so. What to do long term with Zibby, and identifying potential trade targets to replace him if they chose to move on should be paramount. That and who they should draft, because it could be another to 5-10 pick this year as well
I am not talking flipping between Chytil and Strome for 2C & 3C. I am talking about the two of them being the top-2 line centers.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would be uncomfortable at 5.5 let alone 6.5 lol
Then it is back to who are you going to bring in at that price tag and what assets is it going to cost you to acquire this player?

Strome is a 2C. We KNOW that he works with Panarin. So plug him with Panarin and let Chytil center some combination of Kreider, Lafreniere & Kakko or Buch.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Then it is back to who are you going to bring in at that price tag and what assets is it going to cost you to acquire this player?

Strome is a 2C. We KNOW that he works with Panarin. So plug him with Panarin and let Chytil center some combination of Kreider, Lafreniere & Kakko or Buch.
Keep him for the length of this deal, dump him next deadline, role with Chytil or a younger center who is cheaper, though less established. No way am I comfortable with that kind of coin for strome especially if it comes with more then a 2 year term which he most likely is looking for. This will be his Last significant deal. There’s not many players in the nhl that wouldn’t work with panarin

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Keep him for the length of this deal, dump him next deadline, role with Chytil or a younger center who is cheaper, though less established. No way am I comfortable with that kind of coin for strome especially if it comes with more then a 2 year term which he most likely is looking for. This will be his Last significant deal
Ok. Who? Who are you bringing in to be a top-6 center who fits the bill as being younger and cheaper?

You need not be comfortable, but you need to have a better idea of what you are replacing him with. What player are you plugging into a top-2 line center roll and what did it cost you to acquire such a player given that if he is cheaper, then he is making less than the $4.5 that Strome is getting? Oh, AND is younger. Who is this player?

Reactions: jay from jersey

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I am not talking flipping between Chytil and Strome for 2C & 3C. I am talking about the two of them being the top-2 line centers.

I like Chytil a lot, but I think it's way too early to conclude that he's 1C material. Way way too early.

I like him as a 2C at least in the future. But a 1C kind of guy needs to be a truly elite player. He has only shown potential thus far and hasn't really put together enough of a body of work to determine he's ready for that kind of responsibility to go against the top D on opposing teams, every single night. Nor has he shown he can be a shutdown guy against opposing 1C's.

The team has been known to lack center depth. I really hope they don't trade Zib for his present struggles.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Chytil a lot, but I think it's way too early to conclude that he's 1C material. Way way too early.
I never said that he was a 1C. I said to play them on the top two lines. Strome works with Panarin. We KNOW that. Fine call him the top line center, if you wish. The time as arrived that Chytil should be 2C. Judging by his play, that time is now.

The elite money on this team is going to be spent on elite assets at wing, and defense. And given what is here and in the pipeline is rightfully so. The cost to acquire an Eichel for example, would create havoc in a number of other places.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
isn't there going to be some kind of tv money boom coming up soon? if that is true why not keep all 3? and whatever money is leftover can used to straighten out the 4th line and pick up defenseman.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I never said that he was a 1C. I said to play them on the top two lines. Strome works with Panarin. We KNOW that. Fine call him the top line center, if you wish. The time as arrived that Chytil should be 2C. Judging by his play, that time is now.

The elite money on this team is going to be spent on elite assets at wing, and defense. And given what is here and in the pipeline is rightfully so. The cost to acquire an Eichel for example, would create havoc in a number of other places.
I certainly wouldn't take Eichel. But I wouldn't give up on Zib either. I'm hoping they sign Zib to a team friendly contract after this season and he gets his game together. I don't know how much that would cost, but it will definitely be cheaper than Eichel.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't take Eichel. But I wouldn't give up on Zib either. I'm hoping they sign Zib to a team friendly contract after this season and he gets his game together. I don't know how much that would cost, but it will definitely be cheaper than Eichel.
I am not debating that ZBad would be cheaper than Eichel. But if I want to keep Buchnevich, then that is the player that will need to get moved out so to create cash.

It is not too late, but this is looking like a very much down season for Mika. He is making $5.5. Unless he wants to get a Kreider type of contract, am not sure that he is going to be THAT much cheaper than Eichel. He will probably come in between $1-$2m less.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
forget about eichel. he'll probably wind up with the kings if they want him. they also have more to offer in a trade than we do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad