Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
The GM was trying to trade him (if indeed he was) was because of the cap, not because he isn't a different kind of player.

Even comparing him to Spooner is a thinly-veiled way to diminish what Strome has been here. Again, focusing on what he's not instead of what he is.

I see him as a 2C with warts. Ideally, you'd like him as a 3C with Chytil or someone else over him. But is his style of play one of a 3C?

Are we not allowed to critique that? Are we just supposed to accept every player for "what he is"?

And I have no idea how saying we got him for Ryan Spooner is diminishing what he's done. If anything it's saying he's done better than expected which is exactly what you said regarding his expectations.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
this thread bump was kinda made for me lol so here I am

Strome has been very good since Panarin went out. He's done exceptionally well driving offense all season (even when he was cold at the beginning of the year, unlike Zibanejad). He's also really cut down on the penalties lately, which is a huge complaint i've always had with him.

I'm genuinely surprised and impressed with his driving offense with Panarin out, I didn't think he'd do it. Thank god he is since Zibanejad is on mars right now or whatever.

I still take issue with his defensive play, which I still find really lazy at times. I'm also glad he seems to be off the PK.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I see him as a 2C with warts. Ideally, you'd like him as a 3C with Chytil or someone else over him. But is his style of play one of a 3C?

Is he an ideal 3rd line center? He certainly could be. Personally, I would rather play Strome and Chytil in the top six right now and have a third line with Panarin and Zib.

Are we not allowed to critique that? Are we just supposed to accept every player for "what he is"?

Of course you can. But when it gets to the point where more is made of the occasional bad penalty than is made about the good things he does, the focus then goes to what he's not (a bit of an epidemic of this board).

And I have no idea how saying we got him for Ryan Spooner is diminishing what he's done. If anything it's saying he's done better than expected which is exactly what you said regarding his expectations.

It diminishes him because the message is not "he's been a good acquisition" but becomes "we only gave up Spooner?"— who is no longer in the league.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
the issue with Strome moving forward is he’s gonna want a lot more money when his contract is up, and I’m not a fan of giving him said money. I think he’s gonna be one of the players who isn’t protected, but I’m not totally sure. I think he’s fine for now, though he can be incredibly frustrating. But if he’s looking for a $3mm+ raise, I don’t want to give it to him.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Is he an ideal 3rd line center? He certainly could be. Personally, I would rather play Strome and Chytil in the top six right now and have a third line with Panarin and Zib.

Of course you can. But when it gets to the point where more is made of the occasional bad penalty than is made about the good things he does, the focus then goes to what he's not (a bit of an epidemic of this board).

It diminishes him because the message is not "he's been a good acquisition" but becomes "we only gave up Spooner?"— who is no longer in the league.

I'm not sure he's an ideal 3C but he did play that position at first here. Like anything, it could happen and maybe he does slot in there.

I don't post as much as others but I do agree here, that certain plays are over-analyzed more than they should be. We could argue whether he takes the occasional bad penalty more than others but there's no need to go down that road.

And that certainly was not my intention when I wrote that. It was meant to read as he's done far better than what was expected when he got here.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Good that he is getting his trade value up again, and with Chytil emerging as at least legit 2nd line center, this would be a good time to trade. We could wait till next season but then risk him playing bad and his value dropping, especially with him potentially being on the 3rd line next year if Chytil is promoted full time.

Reactions: Reway10

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
is there a market demand of any kind for strome? teams might be willing to give up a pick for him but not an actual player top 6 in their rotation.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
is there a market demand of any kind for strome? teams might be willing to give up a pick for him but not an actual player top 6 in their rotation.

There probably will be if he finishes this season on a 50-60 point pace WITHOUT Panarin as a linemate.

The question then inevitably becomes whether Strome is more valuable to us still than his potential trade return. If NYR deal Chytil for Eichel and Zibanejad for a kid, then we hold onto Strome for the 2nd line next season.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
chytil and zib for eichel? ehh i don't know. toss this season aside. the past 3 seasons zib has scored more goals than eichel. if i was going to trade zib for a center i'd want back dubois or aho.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am watching. As I continue to say to you, the same shortcomings that have plagued him his whole career since he was a top 5 pick, showed up again this year. And they showed up for the first 15 games in an amplified way. You want an approval rating for 6 games. You consider success as Strome showing up for 27% of the games. What is there to ignore? His best game was against Washington. He had a good game against a Boston team playing the 2nd of a back-to-back after they got beat up by the Islanders. He did well against a terrible Devils team. You keep asking about points. How about some context to them.
Want to talk about context? I ask you for either the third or fourth time; how many points in how many games as a Ranger? Not sure why you utterly refuse to answer the question. You know exactly why. Because once you answer the question, it will debunk that he only shows up for 27% of the games. Again, if you believe that he shows up for less than 3 games out of 10, that just means you are only seeing what you want to see. In other words #StromeDerangementSyndrome

He’s inconsistent? That is what separates goos from great from stars. Plain and simple.

I also find it a bit odd that you seem to be hanging the start of the season on him, but are forgiving of the rest of the vets who played just as invisible at that time.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When you'd rather be right than have something positive happen for your team.
What I find comical is when people sing the praises of Hughes at the expense of a Kakko or Lafreniere as evidence that they are being stunted and never bother to shown what percentage of his offense is against the Rangers. But with Strome you get “well the last two games were against the Devils...”

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Want to talk about context? I ask you for either the third or fourth time; how many points in how many games as a Ranger? Not sure why you utterly refuse to answer the question. You know exactly why. Because once you answer the question, it will debunk that he only shows up for 27% of the games. Again, if you believe that he shows up for less than 3 games out of 10, that just means you are only seeing what you want to see. In other words #StromeDerangementSyndrome

He’s inconsistent? That is what separates goos from great from stars. Plain and simple.

I also find it a bit odd that you seem to be hanging the start of the season on him, but are forgiving of the rest of the vets who played just as invisible at that time.
I’m mixed on goos players....

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I just did the math if he only shows up for 27% of games he scores 2.6 points per game in the games she shows up. What a stud.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Because his mistakes are amplified by the fact that he causes more harm than good when he makes them. The other vets play in different situations. Zib PKs. Kreider provides speed, forechecking, net front presence. Strome is freaking lazy when it comes to the defensive side of the puck. That is a problem when you are getting top 6 minutes every night.

You can clamor for his point totals all you want as a Ranger and use that to deflect all of his inadequacies. Good for you. Thank you Strome for your 0.65 PPG pace as a Ranger. Now maybe be more responsible out there so I can appreciate that PPG. That would be nice. Its not just that he is inconsistent, its that he is a detriment out there. A negative.

And btw, the other vets being Zib and Kreider are not completely exempt of criticism.

Its been 6 games. As i said i hope he keeps it up for the rangers sake this season and his trade value moving forward

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Because his mistakes are amplified by the fact that he causes more harm than good when he makes them. The other vets play in different situations. Zib PKs. Kreider provides speed, forechecking, net front presence. Strome is freaking lazy when it comes to the defensive side of the puck. That is a problem when you are getting top 6 minutes every night.

You can clamor for his point totals all you want as a Ranger and use that to deflect all of his inadequacies. Good for you. Thank you Strome for your 0.65 PPG pace as a Ranger. Now maybe be more responsible out there so I can appreciate that PPG. That would be nice. Its not just that he is inconsistent, its that he is a detriment out there. A negative.

And btw, the other vets being Zib and Kreider are not completely exempt of criticism.

Its been 6 games. As i said i hope he keeps it up for the rangers sake this season and his trade value moving forward
I still find it rather amazing they all you can do is talk about the last 6 games but completely run and hide when asked a direct question. Let’s try for the 5th time. How many points does Strome have in how many games as a a Ranger? Why do you steadfastly refuse to answer this question?

Strome has been better defensively and better on face offs than in past. In other words, he has basically been a good but not great second line center. After that, what exactly are you arguing about?

BTW, it’s easy to make stats to say what you want. Why not look at his points after scoring 1 point in his first 6? What has it looked like since?

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I still find it rather amazing they all you can do is talk about the last 6 games but completely run and hide when asked a direct question. Let’s try for the 5th time. How many points does Strome have in how many games as a a Ranger? Why do you steadfastly refuse to answer this question?

Strome has been better defensively and better on face offs than in past. In other words, he has basically been a good but not great second line center. After that, what exactly are you arguing about?
I answered your precious question with his PPG number during his time here. Is that not good enough for you or do you want to continue to be a confrontational clown like you always are on these boards? My guess is the latter.

You want to die on the Ryan Strome hill? Go for it. You would think this guy is your Son with how dismissive you are of the blatant mistakes he makes out there.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I answered your precious question with his PPG number during his time here. Is that not good enough for you or do you want to continue to be a confrontational clown like you always are on these boards? My guess is the latter.

You want to die on the Ryan Strome hill? Go for it. You would think this guy is your Son with how dismissive you are of the blatant mistakes he makes out there.
How many points in how many games as a Ranger? Why not simply answer the exact question that I have posed?

Also, after scoring 1 point in his first 6 games, what has Strome done for the remainder to date?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

I thought it was Panarin who made him?

strome always put up points here. Even before we signed Panarin strome put up .5 ppg after the spooner trade. Panarin def helped his production throughout the whole season I don’t think that can be disputed. Good for strome though going on a hot streak without him. I think if strome were a 3C adding this offensive no one would mind him as much. He would make people happy in fact lol. The problems with strome are his defensive play and overall usage As a 2C first PP guy etc not many feel strome is the right guy for the job. If he was a 3rd line guy doing exactly what he’s been doing I don’t think people would mind him as much. Strome did drop 50 pts with the isles. He was drafted high for a reason. He has talent but never put it all together. He’s still youngish maybe he’s a late bloomer. But at around 5 mill a year for a 3C. That’s pretty steep

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
strome always put up points here. Even before we signed Panarin strome put up .5 ppg after the spooner trade. Panarin def helped his production throughout the whole season I don’t think that can be disputed. Good for strome though going on a hot streak without him. I think if strome were a 3C adding this offensive no one would mind him as much. He would make people happy in fact lol. The problems with strome are his defensive play and overall usage As a 2C first PP guy etc not many feel strome is the right guy for the job. If he was a 3rd line guy doing exactly what he’s been doing I don’t think people would mind him as much. Strome did drop 50 pts with the isles. He was drafted high for a reason. He has talent but never put it all together. He’s still youngish maybe he’s a late bloomer. But at around 5 mill a year for a 3C. That’s pretty steep
But what he has been doing is not 3C. It is a 2C and a pretty cheap one at that.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->