Player Discussion Ryan Strome

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If only he had Brassard’s hero good looks. I’m being ironic but I bet there’s something to it.

In all honesty there’s something to it. Brassard came when the Rangers had Stepan and Richards to compare at C and the team as a whole was at its height (on the strength of Lundqvist)
Brassard is my hero back off lol. Looking forward to seeing another NYR player even come close to what he did in the playoffs for us.
But yes Ryan Strome has been terrific and I was one of the haters. I love admitting I was wrong when it benefits my team.
The guy is gonna put up .75-.8 ppg in probably the toughest division in hockey...and without Panarin.

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome was a black hole for the first 15-16 games of the season. He is finally playing well for 6 games and the apologists want to cash in.

I hope he keeps it up because it will only serve the team well when they trade him as well as their current play.
So he got most of his points in the last 6 games? You have the same vehemence against Krieder as well, right? I only say that because it is funny how you do not rail against him.

Let’s try a confidence building question. How many points has Strome had in how many games as a Ranger?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Or just realistic. He was absolutely brutal the first month and a half. This is who he is though. When he is on he is good, not great,
1) which Ranger forward vet was not awful in beginning?
2) when he’s on he is good snd not great? Shocker that. In other news, water is found to be wet. Exactly who do you see touting him as being great?
3). What? He is streaky? You mean what separates good from being a star? Again. Shocker that

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So he got most of his points in the last 6 games? You have the same vehemence against Krieder as well, right? I only say that because it is funny how you do not rail against him.

Let’s try a confidence building question. How many points has Strome had in how many games as a Ranger?
Dont be condescending and dont play f***ing dumb.

Comparing Kreider is so ignorant. Kreider wasnt hurting the team in other areas of the game when he wasnt scoring. He wasnt turning pucks over, making careless decisions, barely backchecking, and taking dumb penalties.

Like I said, its been 6 games and the apologists were drooling at the opportunity to cash in. Forget the first 15 games, those didnt matter. Only the games that fit your argument matter. Typical. Such a short memory some of you have.

I gladly gave him credit today in the GDT. He played well. But it doesnt excuse his piss poor play for the first quarter of the season.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Comparing Kreider is so ignorant. Kreider wasnt hurting the team in other areas of the game when he wasnt scoring. He wasnt turning pucks over, making careless decisions, barely backchecking, and taking dumb penalties.

Like I said, its been 6 games and the apologists were drooling at the opportunity to cash in. Forget the first 15 games, those didnt matter. Only the games that fit your argument matter. Typical. Such a short memory some of you have.

I gladly gave him credit today in the GDT. He played well. But it doesnt excuse his piss poor play for the first quarter of the season.
Were all the vets struggling in the beginning? Or were they not? Yes or no?

You are harping about the last 6 games. Are you harping the same about Krieder? How about Lafreniere?

Why cherry pick the 15 games you are referring to? What represents a more realistic sample; your cherry picked 15 games or Strome’s entire body of work since he has suited up for the Rangers?

At least be consistent. If you are killing him for those games, what about the rest of the team?

I also note that you have not answered the simple question of how many points he has put up in how many games as a Ranger?

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004

Kreider has 7 minor penalties, strome 5.

These are basically a lot of nebulous comments when you could simply say you don’t like strome. Talking about trading for Eric staal who has nothing left makes that pretty clear.

I don’t love strome but he’s performing exactly as he should.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Were all the vets struggling in the beginning? Or were they not? Yes or no?

You are harping about the last 6 games. Are you harping the same about Krieder? How about Lafreniere?

Why cherry pick the 15 games you are referring to? What represents a more realistic sample; your cherry picked 15 games or Strome’s entire body of work since he has suited up for the Rangers?

At least be consistent. If you are killing him for those games, what about the rest of the team?
Now youre bringing a rookie Lafreniere into this?

His entire body of work? This is who Strome is. Inconsistent. You are speaking as if Strome puts up 75+ points yearly and deserves the benefit of the doubt. No, he is roughly a 50 point player who has inadequacies away from the puck and even with it. When he isnt scoring he can so often be a liability out there. He is terrible on faceoffs. He takes dumb lazy penalties. Isnt responsible defensively. These are the same things that have plagued him his whole career. But you want to look at point totals and make your argument? Go for it. Knock yourself out.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Now youre bringing a rookie Lafreniere into this?

His entire body of work? This is who Strome is. Inconsistent. You are speaking as if Strome puts up 75+ points yearly and deserves the benefit of the doubt. No, he is roughly a 50 point player who has inadequacies away from the puck and even with it. When he isnt scoring he can so often be a liability out there. He is terrible on faceoffs. He takes dumb lazy penalties. Isnt responsible defensively. These are the same things that have plagued him his whole career. But you want to look at point totals and make your argument? Go for it. Knock yourself out.
Let’s try this again. How many point has Strome put up in how many games as a Ranger? This seems to be a pretty simple question that you are refusing to answer.

50 points is nothing? How many forwards in the NHL scored that many last year?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider has 7 minor penalties, strome 5.

These are basically a lot of nebulous comments when you could simply say you don’t like strome. Talking about trading for Eric staal who has nothing left makes that pretty clear.

I don’t love strome but he’s performing exactly as he should.
Lol you mean Eric Staal who is a UFA to be and may only cost a 3rd round pick? A veteran who is 50% on the faceoff dot and is a more responsible player? And whom we would only be looking into under certain circumstances? The same Eric Staal that has outscored Ryan Strome the last 3 seasons? Thats the one that has nothing left? Lol ok.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Let’s try this again. How many point has Strome put up in how many games as a Ranger? This seems to be a pretty simple question that you are refusing to answer.

50 points is nothing? How many forwards in the NHL scored that many last year?
Is it all about point totals for you? Thats all that matters? Forget the rest of his game. I know his grand 50 points excuses all of his other shortcomings. Fantastic. Keep bringing us those 50 points, it makes up for all the dumbass plays you make throughout the season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jesus, he's played well this year. Why does it have to be battle lines drawn between Strome supporters and detractors irrespective of the evidence in front of everyone's eyes?

It's always the same people.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Strome is such an interesting player.

The are times you want to throw objects through your tv, and yet there he is again pacing at a full-schedule 60 point pace.

Yeah, and I think what we need to understand is that we are not paying Strome to be the guy who carries us to victory every game. Strome cap hit is 64th among centers. Now, that's not adjusted for age, RFA vs UFA etc. It's just a basic ranking. But 64th highest cap hit among centers is 3rd line money.

Yet he is producing like a 2nd line center. And yes, the debates we have had over and over again but Strome put up a career high in goals (albeit with that high shooting percentage) with his most common linemates being Jesper Fast and Vlad Namestnikov.

The following year Panarin had a career high in goals and assists in just 69 games playing with Strome. Now, the case has been made that Strome benefitted from Panarin but let's be real here: Panarin putting up career highs in both goals and assists in just 69 games has to be at least be in part contributed to the chemistry he has with Strome.

Then this season Kreider starts off slow and has 9 goals in 6 games after being paired with Strome. Small sample size, I know. But it's another example of a player producing with Strome.

I think if you look at each of these in a vacuum, the "excuses" make sense but when you combine these 3 and look at that as a whole over a 2.5 year period then I can't help but be happy with what he brought to the team especially when you add in that low cap hit.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Who would have thought that Ryan Strome would be taking a leadership role on the 2021 New York Rangers.

He might be around longer than we might expect... for better or worse. He's played well and at the very least, his stonks are on the rise.

Buch and Strome might get new contracts that are movable the first couple of years... Might be in our best interest to just let things play out. Look how much a f***ed up year has changed.

But I wouldn't be surprised, if Zibs is the one that is moved now.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Lol you mean Eric Staal who is a UFA to be and may only cost a 3rd round pick? A veteran who is 50% on the faceoff dot and is a more responsible player? And whom we would only be looking into under certain circumstances? The same Eric Staal that has outscored Ryan Strome the last 3 seasons? Thats the one that has nothing left? Lol ok.

Why is the cost to obtain staal relevant? Or what he has done when he was 33 when he’s now 36 and struggling to keep up with the play?

it’s great that he wins a few more face offs. I suppose he could replace Rooney but there’s little chance he’s playing over strome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is it all about point totals for you? Thats all that matters? Forget the rest of his game. I know his grand 50 points excuses all of his other shortcomings. Fantastic. Keep bringing us those 50 points, it makes up for all the dumbass plays you make throughout the season.
Honestly, at this point you will see what you want. If you are watching this year and are
still looking to either explain away his success or just outright ignore what is right in front of your face, not really sure of what to tell you.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Strome is such an interesting player.

The are times you want to throw objects through your tv, and yet there he is again pacing at a full-schedule 60 point pace.

He's a polarizing player like so many. The lazy back checking and offensive zone penalties will be there most of the time but can be forgotten when he's having multi-point games.

Personally I wish he was a different kind of player but then again you don't get players like that for Ryan Spooner. I can see why people hate him and why people stand up for him.

The best part about him is he does seem to be one of the leaders in the room, one of the most liked, and that does go a long way.

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Honestly, at this point you will see what you want. If you are watching this year and are
still looking to either explain away his success or just outright ignore what is right in front of your face, not really sure of what to tell you.
I am watching. As I continue to say to you, the same shortcomings that have plagued him his whole career since he was a top 5 pick, showed up again this year. And they showed up for the first 15 games in an amplified way. You want an approval rating for 6 games. You consider success as Strome showing up for 27% of the games. What is there to ignore? His best game was against Washington. He had a good game against a Boston team playing the 2nd of a back-to-back after they got beat up by the Islanders. He did well against a terrible Devils team. You keep asking about points. How about some context to them.

@Gordon Bombay said it best, he is a polarizing play. And it is exactly what I was saying above. When he is on, he is a good player that can put up points and it masks his weak play in other areas. When he is bad, he is really bad and as @Edge said it can make you want to throw something through a TV. He isn’t some 4th liner getting less than 10 minutes a game. He is getting good minutes so his mistakes can really affect the game. I dont care that we got him for Spooner and “won” the trade. We are past that now. We need him to be more consistent. I hope he keeps producing points, it will only help the team and his trade value.

@TheBPA i did not have Staal replacing Strome as if Strome wouldnt be on the team. Had him centering Kreider and Strome, keeping those two together

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He's a polarizing player like so many. The lazy back checking and offensive zone penalties will be there most of the time but can be forgotten when he's having multi-point games.

Personally I wish he was a different kind of player but then again you don't get players like that for Ryan Spooner. I can see why people hate him and why people stand up for him.

The best part about him is he does seem to be one of the leaders in the room, one of the most liked, and that does go a long way.
I think this post sums up this board's view of Strome. He was acquired with low expectations and he has actually more than exceeded them. And some people don't know how to handle. it.

You may wish he was a different player, but what exactly does that mean?

When he first came to the Ranger, he's bit of success was chalked up to his shooting percentage and his production wasn't sustainable.

Then he played with Panarin and he the CW was "well anyone can produce with Panarin."

Now you want him to be different? Too often people prefer to focus on what a player isn't (see Kreider, Chris and Trouba, Jacob) rather than see the value in what a player is.

All he's done here is generally played well and assumed a bit of a leadership role here. Maybe the former 5OA pick is starting to show why he was a 5OA.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think this post sums up this board's view of Strome. He was acquired with low expectations and he has actually more than exceeded them. And some people don't know how to handle. it.
Exactly. He's a highly improved player that we have for a fair contract, that has produced over the last 2 seasons. You can hate the bad penalties and occasional giveaways, but he's an essential player to the organization this season and next season. Our team does not have center depth and we all saw what happened when we lost Chytil. Like it or not, we need him, and he's risen to the occasion many times.

And as for being "merely the beneficiary of Panarin", even if true (it's not) doesn't mean that isn't an important role to play. It's a team game and Panarin needs line mates to help him be effective. He was an MVP candidate last season with Strome as his center. Sometimes, not getting in someone's way is as important as being the driving force on a line.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006

You may wish he was a different player, but what exactly does that mean?

When he first come to the Ranger, he's bit of success was chalked up to his shooting percentage and his production wasn't sustainable.

Then he played with Panarin and he the CO was "well anyone can produce with Panarin."

Now you want him to be different? Too often people prefer to focus on what a player isn't (see Kreider, Chris and Trouba, Jacob) rather than see the value in what a player is.

All he's done here is generally played well and assumed a bit of a leadership role here. Maybe the former 5OA pick is starting to show why he was a 5OA.

What I meant was his style of play. I'd prefer him to not have the lazy back checks, the offensive zone penalties, the shying away from contact, be a faster skater, etc.

That's why I said "but then again you don't get players like that for Ryan Spooner". Hell, our own GM was trying to trade him this offseason because of these traits.

I don't know if you're lumping me into this category of people who don't know how to handle it but I'll argue my take on Strome there is pretty reasonable. I can look past the warts when he's having multi-point games, we got him for a guy who's not even in the NHL anymore, and he's showing leadership.

Is that not looking into the value of what he is? There's no fault in wishing he was a different style of player.

Reactions: RGY
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
What I meant was his style of play. I'd prefer him to not have the lazy back checks, the offensive zone penalties, the shying away from contact, be a faster skater, etc.

That's why I said "but then again you don't get players like that for Ryan Spooner". Hell, our own GM was trying to trade him this offseason because of these traits.

I don't know if you're lumping me into this category of people who don't know how to handle it but I'll argue my take on Strome there is pretty reasonable. I can look past the warts when he's having multi-point games, we got him for a guy who's not even in the NHL anymore, and he's showing leadership.

Is that not looking into the value of what he is? There's no fault in wishing he was a different style of player.

The GM was trying to trade him (if indeed he was) was because of the cap, not because he isn't a different kind of player.

Even comparing him to Spooner is a thinly-veiled way to diminish what Strome has been here. Again, focusing on what he's not instead of what he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad