Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Maybe im a bit old school but I like my 3rd line center to have some grit to his game vs Strome's vanilla play.

If your third line isnt scoring at least its winning face offs and making sure whatever lines they play against are gonna need ice packs after the game.

Strome is so meh. Doesnt win faceoffs, doesnt hit, doesnt put up points

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Maybe im a bit old school but I like my 3rd line center to have some grit to his game vs Strome's vanilla play.

If your third line isnt scoring at least its winning face offs and making sure whatever lines they play against are gonna need ice packs after the game.

His line isn't getting outscored though, which is impressive because Strome is the guy unfortunate enough to be saddled with Lucic.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The entire league is pretty vanilla compared to the old school days

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The entire league is pretty vanilla compared to the old school days
Id agree to an extent with the overall NHL game but when I watch other games, the 3rd line is usually chippy, especially compared to the top 6

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well it's certainly not in line with what I'm expecting. We're paying him 3M to be the third line center and score ~30 points a year from that position.

With a start this slow and unlucky he probably won't get there this year, but down seasons happen to everyone.

3rd line and 2nd unit PP. Plus whatever topsix the team gives him. Its not like this is a buried Center struggling to get a point.

I don't think its fair comment to say this season, saddled with Lucic. Milan is playing reasonably well, at least being a factor, and at least scoring and producing. I don't think Milan has been awful in own zone either. If theres an anchor here this season its Strome. His linemates like Lucic, and Cagg, are finding production. Both of even had games where they are very good.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kyle Brodziak also doesn't get PP time.

Neither Lucic nor Strome have a single goal 5x5.
You're really dying on that hill when it comes to PP time. I wouldn't credit anyone on that second unit on having quality PP time considering 85% of the time is dedicated to the top unit trying to set up. That second unit hasn't even had dedicated personnel for the most part this season which likely equals zero chemistry.

Strome's lack of production is not a result of a lack of opportunity. He generates plenty of them because the puck spends a lot of time in the opposing team's end when he's out there. The same can't be said for the other two.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
You're really dying on that hill when it comes to PP time. I wouldn't credit anyone on that second unit on having quality PP time considering 85% of the time is dedicated to the top unit trying to set up. That second unit hasn't even had dedicated personnel for the most part this season which likely equals zero chemistry.

Strome's lack of production is not a result of a lack of opportunity. He generates plenty of them because the puck spends a lot of time in the opposing team's end when he's out there. The same can't be said for the other two.

Our third line is shooting 3% right now at evens they won't keep up the lack of finishing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
With the way this team is set up and with how the lines are being used, I think scoring from the third line is more of a bonus than a necessity.

If they had a few points, I'd bet they would have a few more goals against too and then you're right back to where you are now.

Actually, I think this is the type of team that needs some production from their 3rd line because of weak top 6 winger depth. They've been getting by with minimal even strength production from the top line and mostly Chiasson, who will get cold eventually, potting goals.

At some point, they are going to need to get some production from players who usually are good for 30-35 points minimum. Right now, Lucic and Strome are even on pace for less than 30 points combined with this including Lucic PP production. At some point, they are going to give up goals so that +/- is going to get ugly if they continue to provide no offense.
They are paid $9M to put up at minimum 3rd line level offense along with other intangibles. They aren't even putting up 4th line level offense now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Actually, I think this is the type of team that needs some production from their 3rd line because of weak top 6 winger depth. They've been getting by with minimal even strength production from the top line and mostly Chiasson, who will get cold eventually, potting goals.

At some point, they are going to need to get some production from players who usually are good for 30-35 points minimum. Right now, Lucic and Strome are even on pace for less than 30 points combined with this including Lucic PP production. At some point, they are going to give up goals so that +/- is going to get ugly if they continue to provide no offense.
They are paid $9M to put up at minimum 3rd line level offense along with other intangibles. They aren't even putting up 4th line level offense now.

I'm not worried about the top6's 5v5 scoring.

McDavid had the best 5v5 season since Lemieux last season. He'll get going.

Reactions: guymez

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Can't really blame Strome or the 3rd line for last night's embarrassment, that's entirely on special teams.

I don't think anyone is blaming him for last night, it is more on the player himself and the lack of (offensive) contribution of what we expect of him as a third line center.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not worried about the top6's 5v5 scoring.

McDavid had the best 5v5 season since Lemieux last season. He'll get going.

Sure, but in order for the Oilers to go places, they are going to need scoring from other lines and the 2nd line isn't strong enough on wing to compensate for a non-existent 3rd line all season.

I can't think of any playoff team that has had a completely impotent 3rd line. They need to start chipping in offensively. They aren't strong enough defensively to continue to keep the goals against down, even against weaker competition.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You kinda nailed it with this, but not for the reasons you're saying. He does get opportunity and doesn't produce. He gets time in all three situations and doesn't produce anything. +/- is the only stat people point to to show how "good" he is when he isn't a plus player... Even McDavid has worse +/- than RNH, Chiasson and Russell....

Is that even worse than unused cap space would have been?
Maybe, maybe not. We're not exactly starved for centers. What we could use is a good scoring winger.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Since when is Puljujarvi a center?
Never said he was, I was talking about how we can use this void to develop Pulju or give Marody an actual chance. JJ is sufficient for 3C if Strome is. I honestly forget Strome is even out there most times.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure, but in order for the Oilers to go places, they are going to need scoring from other lines and the 2nd line isn't strong enough on wing to compensate for a non-existent 3rd line all season.

I can't think of any playoff team that has had a completely impotent 3rd line. They need to start chipping in offensively. They aren't strong enough defensively to continue to keep the goals against down, even against weaker competition.

Isn't it fair to assume they'll start picking up a few points if we're also assuming they're going to allow a few more goals?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ok how many points does he have to score per 11 games to be acceptable?

If he scores 3 per 10 games but 0 in the first 10 and 6 in the next does that make a difference?

Also Strome is statisically our best PKing forward and really the only one that hasn't been outright bad.

EDIT: I missed RNH. Second best.
One single solitary point would be a really nice start. For 3.1 million dollars/year, yah, that would be nice.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Strome is the only Oiler who has played in every game this year and is yet to register a point.

Are people still defending this guy as a third line center? We need to upgrade on him if we want to be a contender.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Strome is the only Oiler who has played in every game this year and is yet to register a point.

Are people still defending this guy as a third line center? We need to upgrade on him if we want to be a contender.
I'll defend him a bit his defensive game has improved beyond what I thought him to be capable of upon my viewings of him earlier in his career, he is doing the right things defensively more often than not and doesn't look out of place on the PK. I do think the points will eventually come for him, he's more a points in bunches than a consistent contributor. As to whether or not we need to upgrade on him to be a contender, I'd say that's probably fair, I'd say he isn't a big enough detriment to be the reason we don't make the playoffs, but could hold us back from going deep in the playoffs. Generally the top teams have 3rd line centers who bring a bit more to the table, either speedier with more forecheck or backcheck pressure, elite at shutting other players down, produce at a low quality 2nd line center rate offensively, or provide a physical gritty element to create some wear and tear on the opposition over a best of 7 series. Strome doesn't fit any of the secondary attributes which generally give a top teams 3rd line center some separation from the run of the mill 3rd line centers of the league, the one he is most suited to filling is producing at a low quality 2nd line center offensive rate, but he's clearly off to a poor start in regards to meeting that bar.

If I was looking at Strome through the eyes of a contending team (which I'm not sold we are yet), I'd consider Strome to be a sub-standard part that I'd look towards upgrading, but he's not a trash player in dire need of replacing. He'd be on my checklist of things to fix or improve on, but most likely not the most glaring issue.

Reactions: McOvechking

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Definitely looking responsible defensively this year, just gotta hope his offense comes around. If he can put it together with last year offensive output he'd be a fantastic third line C.

He may not be your typical third line center, but I think he can work there nicely, especially if we ever are able to surround him with some offensive talent.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad