Player Discussion Ryan Strome

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I hope you're not excusing his brutal play due to his "quality" of competition.

He's paid 3.1M, he should be able to produce against the average NHL player.

Not an excuse, but there's a pretty big difference.

If he was actually playing fourth liners, it would be horrendous.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for the enlightenment man. Here's some facts:

Google says the average NHL salary is 2.4m. This means Strome is being paid more than average.

Strome has 1 goal in 16 games, that is below average production.

On the Oilers, all forwards getting paid less than him have either equalled or surpassed his point production. Strome is 5th highest paid forward on this team btw.

Google is wrong at least if you are looking at roster players. The average team is spending about $75M on the cap with a 23 man roster. That gives you an average of $3.25M. Furthermore if you remove guys on their ELC the average is is closer to $4M. Strome is the 319th highest paid player in the NHL which means he is probably paid about right in line with where he should be.

No one is going to argue that his production matches his salary this year. But he is at least playing very well defensively which is somewhat unexpected for a guy with his background so while it would help to get more production from him the reality is that it is not his line that is costing the team games.

Reactions: McDNicks17

space321

May 11, 2011
Google is wrong at least if you are looking at roster players. The average team is spending about $75M on the cap with a 23 man roster. That gives you an average of $3.25M. Furthermore if you remove guys on their ELC the average is is closer to $4M. Strome is the 319th highest paid player in the NHL which means he is probably paid about right in line with where he should be.

No one is going to argue that his production matches his salary this year. But he is at least playing very well defensively which is somewhat unexpected for a guy with his background so while it would help to get more production from him the reality is that it is not his line that is costing the team games.

Okay so he's paid average. I don't know how a lack of production can be seen as not costing his team any games. You know you haveto score goals to win right? Fact is we have heavily invested in this 3rd line that is just not pulling their weight. If Strome had a 30 point pace (so like 2g 3a so far), that could flip the results of one or two games. At least he was shooting more before this last loss, so that's a start hopefully to see more offense from him.

I also disagree he's been solid defensively, he has his lapses. If you look at the 2nd goal last game, Strome falls and gets left behind in the buildup leading to the goal. He also can't win a face off to save his life.

I like how Puljujarvi was crucified by a sizable number of people on this board for "flipping the puck out" and "confusing RNH and Connor", but Strome's mistakes just get glossed over.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Okay so he's paid average. I don't know how a lack of production can be seen as not costing his team any games. You know you haveto score goals to win right? Fact is we have heavily invested in this 3rd line that is just not pulling their weight. If Strome had a 30 point pace (so like 2g 3a so far), that could flip the results of one or two games. At least he was shooting more before this last loss, so that's a start hopefully to see more offense from him.

I also disagree he's been solid defensively, he has his lapses. If you look at the 2nd goal last game, Strome falls and gets left behind in the buildup leading to the goal. He also can't win a face off to save his life.

I like how Puljujarvi was crucified by a sizable number of people on this board for "flipping the puck out" and "confusing RNH and Connor", but Strome's mistakes just get glossed over.
He isn't paid average, he is paid below average.

So you would rather him be scoring 20 points and be a -20 player, than scoring 1 and be a -1 or even player? Since scoring is all that matters.

I like how all the Puljujarvi defenders make up every excuse in the book besides the fact that Puljujarvi just isn't playing good hockey right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

So you would rather him be scoring 20 points and be a -20 player, than scoring 1 and be a -1 or even player? Since scoring is all that matters.

I like how all the Puljujarvi defenders make up every excuse in the book besides the fact that Puljujarvi just isn't playing good hockey right now.
I'd rather him score and still be around even.

It's not like he doesn't get PP time either, where he is also remarkably ineffective.

1 f***ing point on the season. Isn't he tied with our much maligned goalie in that department?

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I'd rather him score and still be around even.

It's not like he doesn't get PP time either, where he is also remarkably ineffective.

1 ****ing point on the season. Isn't he tied with our much maligned goalie in that department?

He's playing with linemates who haven't buried the chances he's created. For sure he's not scoring himself, but he has created chances that a boat anchor, a newborn gazelle and garden gnome haven't finished, so his 1 point isn't just on him.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
unfortunately, trading Ebs for Strome, Hall for just Larsson only, #15 for Renhart that turned into nothing and cost us a chance at Barzal, Kyle Conner, Thomas Chabot, Travis Konecny, Maroon for a low scoring college prospect and a draft pick this year, and the bust (so far) that is Puljujarvi have all hurt this team and kept us at only a mediocre level on the ice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
unfortunately, trading Ebs for Strome, Hall for just Larsson only, #15 for Renhart that turned into nothing and cost us a chance at Barzal, Kyle Conner, Thomas Chabot, Travis Konecny, Maroon for a low scoring college prospect and a draft pick this year, and the bust (so far) that is Puljujarvi have all hurt this team and kept us at only a mediocre level on the ice.

The 3rd became Marody IIRC and he's looking like a solid prospect that could contribute as soon as this season.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

My problem with Hall for Larsson was it being a straight up trade, Chiarelli should have at least received another player plus a draft pick. Also Maroon was traded because he was about to be a UFA, it was the smart thing to do since they were out of the playoffs. I'd trade Ebs for Strome again, but they should have received at least a draft pick along with him.

space321

May 11, 2011

How the f*** is he suddenly paid below average? Are you basing your argument on what that @Fourier guy said up there? Where he removed ELCs and other non-full time NHL contracts for some reason? If we're gonna remove ELCs we might as well remove overpaid UFA contracts.

The stats speak for themselves when it comes to showing how effective certain players have been:

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.f...8/11/screen-shot-2018-11-09-at-3-34-49-pm.png

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How the **** is he suddenly paid below average? Are you basing your argument on what that @Fourier guy said up there? Where he removed ELCs and other non-full time NHL contracts for some reason? If we're gonna remove ELCs we might as well remove overpaid UFA contracts.

The stats speak for themselves when it comes to showing how effective certain players have been:

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.f...8/11/screen-shot-2018-11-09-at-3-34-49-pm.png
75m/23 = 3.25m

Ryan Strome - 3.1m

3.1m is less than 3.25m

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's playing with linemates who haven't buried the chances he's created. For sure he's not scoring himself, but he has created chances that a boat anchor, a newborn gazelle and garden gnome haven't finished, so his 1 point isn't just on him.
No it's not but just "Creating chances" isn't good enough on a team that's struggling to score. He needs to supply some offense too.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
No it's not but just "Creating chances" isn't good enough on a team that's struggling to score. He needs to supply some offense too.

I agree, but I was really happy to see him score. He has a good shot, but I would love to see his linemates bury the chances he's creating. Barring that, I hope that goal gets him think shot first, because they desperately need him to get going, but they can't expect a 3C to be their saviour.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017

I heard once that if you create 10 chances and don't score it's better than scoring 3/3 on the chances you do have. :DD

space321

May 11, 2011
75m/23 = 3.25m

Ryan Strome - 3.1m

3.1m is less than 3.25m

Oh wow, a whole 0.15M, I guess technically he's below average, but that's being very nitpicky, so I'll go ahead and be more nitpicky.

I looked up some data on capfriendly, and according to that site, teams are spending an average of 38.5M on its forwards. That's an average of 2.97M per forward, which makes Strome paid above average compared to his peers.

Care to comment on those stats though? Strome seems to be bottom of the barrel on the Oilers when it comes to scoring and getting scored on.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oh wow, a whole 0.15M, I guess technically he's below average, but that's being very nitpicky, so I'll go ahead and be more nitpicky.

I looked up some data on capfriendly, and according to that site, teams are spending an average of 38.5M on its forwards. That's an average of 2.97M per forward, which makes Strome paid above average compared to his peers.

Care to comment on those stats though? Strome seems to be bottom of the barrel on the Oilers when it comes to scoring and getting scored on.
Bottom of the barrel when it comes to getting scored on? You mean top of the barrel right?

He has 1 point and is a -1.

He is giving up less than 1 goal an hour at 5on5.

Care to comment on those? Or you still thinking hes playing against 4th line competition.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Huh? The guy with the lowest 5v5 GA/60 on the team?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

space321

May 11, 2011
Huh? The guy with the lowest 5v5 GA/60 on the team?

I guess I should've said scoring chances against then. It's like you guys ignore the stats I linked and blow it off like it's wrong. I guess I would do that too when it kinda goes against the narrative.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I guess I should've said scoring chances against then. It's like you guys ignore the stats I linked and blow it off like it's wrong. I guess I would do that too when it kinda goes against the narrative.

The guy with the lowest scoring chances against per 60 at 5v5 on the team?

Talk about irony.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Did you even look at the stats? lmao

Did you? lol

Apparently having the lowest "major mistake per 15"(whatever that is) of the centers means you're at the bottom of the barrel for scoring chances against?

Those stats are saying the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Strome has the lowest scoring chances against, so how is he bleeding chances against? Do you even understand the numbers you're looking at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad