Player Discussion Ryan Strome

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
How the **** is he suddenly paid below average? Are you basing your argument on what that @Fourier guy said up there? Where he removed ELCs and other non-full time NHL contracts for some reason? If we're gonna remove ELCs we might as well remove overpaid UFA contracts.

The stats speak for themselves when it comes to showing how effective certain players have been:

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.f...8/11/screen-shot-2018-11-09-at-3-34-49-pm.png

I have to agree that Strome isn't bothering me that much as I see him developing more on the 2way or defensive side. Would more offense help? Of course but it is only magnified when losing and because no one else is contributing much.

As for that spreadsheet, what the hell does it even show? It's BS to me. I love Drai but I'm supposed to believe that that McD has had as many 'major mistakes' as he has when he was F ing up left and right at beginning of season? Or that Pulji only has 1 mistake???

space321

May 11, 2011
I have to agree that Strome isn't bothering me that much as I see him developing more on the 2way or defensive side. Would more offense help? Of course but it is only magnified when losing and because no one else is contributing much.

As for that spreadsheet, what the hell does it even show? It's BS to me. I love Drai but I'm supposed to believe that that McD has had as many 'major mistakes' as he has when he was F ing up left and right at beginning of season? Or that Pulji only has 1 mistake???

If you guys actually watch the Pittsburgh game, which is the game that got Puljujarvi benched and started this whole "Jesse doesn't know how to play" narrative, you can actually see none of the GA that he was on the ice for was actually his fault. So I can totally believe that he only has 1 "mistake".

I'm well aware that one set of stats with such a small sample size needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However, it is something to show that the play on the ice isn't as black and white as some posters here seem to believe. The current widespread opinion is "Strome sucks offensively but he's defensively sound" and "Jesse is a defensive liability", these stats just show that it might not be that clear cut.

None of us have the time to go back and rewatch every game to verify these stats, but why do we just assume they're wrong? It's not like the person who tracked the stats have some sort of personal vendetta against any of our players.

Reactions: Panda Bear

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
If you guys actually watch the Pittsburgh game, which is the game that got Puljujarvi benched and started this whole "Jesse doesn't know how to play" narrative, you can actually see none of the GA that he was on the ice for was actually his fault. So I can totally believe that he only has 1 "mistake".

I'm well aware that one set of stats with such a small sample size needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However, it is something to show that the play on the ice isn't as black and white as some posters here seem to believe. The current widespread opinion is "Strome sucks offensively but he's defensively sound" and "Jesse is a defensive liability", these stats just show that it might not be that clear cut.

Fair enough but I'm old school. (And old)! I use my eyes for my opinions.

And I think Strome is just fine as a 3rd line centre. Again, like everyone I'd love more points but I like his game for the most part. Basically I can't complain because he's just .... there. Vanilla as others say. But I see many instances where he rises above so I'm ok with that.

Saying that, I think Jessies defensive game is actually way above what a tropical 19 / 20 year old game is at. I don't hold his latest inconsistencies against him as I think he's simply found himself over his head.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How the **** is he suddenly paid below average? Are you basing your argument on what that @Fourier guy said up there? Where he removed ELCs and other non-full time NHL contracts for some reason? If we're gonna remove ELCs we might as well remove overpaid UFA contracts.

The stats speak for themselves when it comes to showing how effective certain players have been:

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.f...8/11/screen-shot-2018-11-09-at-3-34-49-pm.png

Also did you see Strome's wingers on there?

They have 2 less "major mistakes" than the other 10 wingers combined.

Pretty impressive that he's still one of the best players on the team as far as shots and chances go.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
upload_2018-11-16_11-13-9.png

anyone know who this is.

Valterri Filpulla

The guy some of these HF posters were laughing off as an upgrade on Strome.

Faster, more experienced, better at almost every aspect of hockey.

Put him on the Oil and on the 3rd line , the Oilers are probably leading the division.

Strome fans :biglaugh:

Keep Oiling guys.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
18-1-1-2 seems like...not so great production. This is simply not good enough, even if he was the reincarnation of Bob Gainey defensively it wouldn't offset how much of an offensive black hole he's been so far this year.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Saw a few posts on HFNYI a few days ago and they were laughing at the Eberle for Strome swap.

They can’t believe they suckered us on Strome and his “potential”.

What a blah player Strome is. Another Chia special. What really gets me is that he said he scouted Strome closely and considered him for the Young Guns World Cup team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
18-1-1-2 seems like...not so great production. This is simply not good enough, even if he was the reincarnation of Bob Gainey defensively it wouldn't offset how much of an offensive black hole he's been so far this year.

It's how McLellan has always coached.

Stack one line and tell the rest of the team to tread water. Same thing in San Jose. Same thing here.

The rest of the team isn't great, but there's a reason why only McDavid's line scores at 5v5.

Reactions: AM and OilDrop37

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's how McLellan has always coached.

Stack one line and tell the rest of the team to tread water. Same thing in San Jose. Same thing here.

The rest of the team isn't great, but there's a reason why only McDavid's line scores at 5v5.

Chiasson has scored 6 goals, Cagguila 6 with half of them away from McDavid, even Brodziak has 2. There was a stretch of about 5-6 games not too long ago when the only lines scoring at even strength were the 2nd and 4th lines.

Blaming Strome's production on Mclellan is giving him a free pass that he doesn't deserve. The 3rd line is consistently their weakest line with Strome being the common demoninator throughout the season.
Even Stauffer has been calling out Lucic and Strome for their putrid production. They need to be better, flat out. These are players who are historically better, they need to show it especially at 9M combined.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chiasson has scored 6 goals, Cagguila 6 with half of them away from McDavid, even Brodziak has 2. There was a stretch of about 5-6 games not too long ago when the only lines scoring at even strength were the 2nd and 4th lines.

Blaming Strome's production on Mclellan is giving him a free pass that he doesn't deserve. The 3rd line is consistently their weakest line with Strome being the common demoninator throughout the season.
Even Stauffer has been calling out Lucic and Strome for their putrid production. They need to be better, flat out. These are players who are historically better, they need to show it especially at 9M combined.

Strome is definitely historical. His current level of production at 14 to 15 minutes a night is historically bad. Not sure how he potted an assist. At this point im actually cheering for him not to get a point. I want to see just how bad this gets. can he go 41 games with 4 points ? 82 games with 8 points ? lower ?

way to set the bar Stromer.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'm not sure I'd use Chiasson's four 30 foot wristers or Caggiula's two 5v5 goals away from McDavid as shining examples of secondary scoring.

The Oilers have four forwards with more than 2 points away from McDavid at 5v5.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not sure I'd use Chiasson's four 30 foot wristers or Caggiula's two 5v5 goals away from McDavid as some shining example of secondary scoring.

The Oilers have four forwards with more than 2 points away from McDavid at 5v5.

You said "there's a reason why only McDavid's line scores 5 on 5" and I showed you an example of scoring outside of the McDavid line. Why does it matter how pretty the goals were? You don't remember that 5-6 game stretch before the recent east road trip when most of the even strength scoring was scored by the 2nd and 4th lines?

Yes, the Oilers have 4 forwards with more than 2 points away from McDavid and Strome isn't one of them. 2 points in 18 games for Strome, inexcusable. Brodziak had as many goals in one games as Strome has had points all season.
This is bordering on historically low production for a 3rd line center this deep into a season. Not good enough.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The good news is it’s only 533k to buyout Strome. Why Chia have him a 2 year contract I dunno.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You said "there's a reason why only McDavid's line scores 5 on 5" and I showed you an example of scoring outside of the McDavid line. Why does it matter how pretty the goals were? You don't remember that 5-6 game stretch before the recent east road trip when most of the even strength scoring was scored by the 2nd and 4th lines?

Yes, the Oilers have 4 forwards with more than 2 points away from McDavid and Strome isn't one of them. 2 points in 18 games for Strome, inexcusable. Brodziak had as many goals in one games as Strome has had points all season.
This is bordering on historically low production for a 3rd line center this deep into a season. Not good enough.

Not sure why you want to argue semantics. Obviously someone other than McDavid's line has scored.

Here's their 5v5 points away from McDavid:
Chiasson: 6
Rieder: 5
Leon: 4
Khaira: 4
RNH: 2
Caggiula: 2
Brodziak: 2
Lucic: 1
Strome: 1
Rattie: 1
Yamamoto: 1
Kassian: 1
Puljujarvi: 0

That's basically a couple good games from the second line and Khaira away from getting nothing from the rest of the roster.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure why you want to argue semantics. Obviously someone other than McDavid's line has scored.

Here's their 5v5 points away from McDavid:
Chiasson: 6
Rieder: 5
Leon: 4
Khaira: 4
RNH: 2
Caggiula: 2
Brodziak: 2
Lucic: 1
Strome: 1
Rattie: 1
Yamamoto: 1
Kassian: 1
Puljujarvi: 0

That's basically a couple good games from the second line and Khaira away from getting nothing from the rest of the roster.

What semantics am I arguing?

You basically made my point with your points listing.
All those players have more even strength points away from McDavid than Strome does except for his linemate, a player who was injured half the year, a 2nd year player who has played far less games, a 4th liner who was a zero most of the season up until the trade rumors lit a fire under his ass and Pulju who looks lost most nights.

What are we arguing again? I said that Strome's lack of production has been inexcusable and you cited the reason for that was Mclellan's system, a system in which most of the role players still score more than Strome away from 97.
2 points in 18 games on the 3rd line. How is this being defended?
BTW, a lot of forwards need to be better, this just isn't exclusive to Strome. He and Lucic get singled out because their even strength production is worse than the rest and they get paid to produce more.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What semantics am I arguing?

You basically made my point with your points listing.
All those players have more even strength points away from McDavid than Strome does except for his linemate, a player who was injured half the year, a 2nd year player who has played far less games, a 4th liner who was a zero most of the season up until the trade rumors lit a fire under his ass and Pulju who looks lost most nights.

What are we arguing again? I said that Strome's lack of production has been inexcusable and you cited the reason for that was Mclellan's system, a system in which most of the role players still score more than Strome away from 97.

You're arguing that I literally meant "only McDavid's line scores" which was pretty obviously hyperbole. Just pointless semantics.

Again, if you're pointing to Leon, a guy shooting 37% and their line mate who have only contributed in a couple of games and Jujhar Khaira as shining examples of secondary scoring, it's probably not as strong as you think.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're arguing that I literally meant "only McDavid's line scores" which was pretty obviously hyperbole. Just pointless semantics.

Again, if you're pointing to Leon, a guy shooting 37% and their line mate who have only contributed in a couple of games and Jujhar Khaira as shining examples of secondary scoring, it's probably not as strong as you think.

Lets not even put Draisaitl in the same sentence as Strome in any respect, it's insulting to a great player regardless of how high his shooting percentage is.

Again Dnicks, all I'm saying is that Strome's production is not good enough and you posted a points chart to strengthen that point.
You're blaming it on Mclellan's system (which is flawed no doubt) yet others are still outscoring him at even strength.
This doesn't mean that others don't need to be better, it just means that Strome needs to be better. He and Lucic have been the worst of the bunch in their role.
4 combined even strength points between the two in 18 games, this is historically poor production for a 3rd line or at least it's close.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Lets not even put Draisaitl in the same sentence as Strome in any respect, it's insulting to a great player regardless of how high his shooting percentage is.

Again Dnicks, all I'm saying is that Strome's production is not good enough and you posted a points chart to strengthen that point.
You're blaming it on Mclellan's system (which is flawed no doubt) yet others are still outscoring him at even strength.
This doesn't mean that others don't need to be better, it just means that Strome needs to be better. He and Lucic have been the worst of the bunch in their role.
4 combined even strength points between the two in 18 games, this is historically poor production for a 3rd line or at least it's close.

Drai is obviously much better and should be scoring more, but I hope you can admit that Leon shooting 26% and Chiasson shooting 40% at even strength isn't even remotely sustainable and without it, they'd have disastrous even strength scoring totals away from McDavid too. If Strome had Chiasson's even strength sh%, he would have 10 even strength goals, to illustrate how ridiculous it is.

So essentially you've got a second line scoring at a fairly pedestrian rate even with hugely unsustainable %s and a fourth line with a few points(which I think we can agree will be few and far between) to go along with that third line. Is it a coincidence that all of these guys aren't producing or is it maybe system related?

Remember in San Jose? McLellan would put Marleau and Pavelski with Thornton, pray Couture could do something on the second line and then basically ignore the rest of the roster. His third liners have always been lucky to even hit 20 points.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Next time well catch Strome is probably if we play in Europe next year to open the season again

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Drai is obviously much better and should be scoring more, but I hope you can admit that Leon shooting 26% and Chiasson shooting 40% at even strength isn't even remotely sustainable and without it, they'd have disastrous even strength scoring totals away from McDavid too. If Strome had Chiasson's even strength sh%, he would have 10 even strength goals, to illustrate how ridiculous it is.

So essentially you've got a second line scoring at a fairly pedestrian rate even with hugely unsustainable %s and a fourth line with a few points(which I think we can agree will be few and far between) to go along with that third line. Is it a coincidence that all of these guys aren't producing or is it maybe system related?

Remember in San Jose? McLellan would put Marleau and Pavelski with Thornton, pray Couture could do something on the second line and then basically ignore the rest of the roster. His third liners have always been lucky to even hit 20 points.

Well, we'll find out now with I'm guessing Marody? to start there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad