Player Discussion Ryan Strome

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think this needs a separate thread away from the actual thread about the trade.

I know we weren't expecting to get a 50-60pt player in return for Eberle at $2.5M, but jesus you'd hope the guy would be on a 20-20-40 pace at the very least with the opportunities he's being spoon-fed with premium C's.

I know he's not making obvious defensive gaffes (we have Russell and Gryba doing their very best at that) but the guy has been non-existent (to a Jokinenian level) since we've had him. He does absolutely nothing. He goes entire shifts without touching the puck. His passing is below average. He rarely gets shot off. His ability to receive passes is below average. His skating is average at best. He refuses to engage physically and is unable to ever recover 50/50 pucks when given the opportunity. He doesn't even look like he's trying!

NYI fans were right - this guy is absolutely INVISIBLE

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I see an inconsistent player that could use more speed. I disagree that he can't pass or shoot. He's decent in those areas of his game. That said his entire line left a lot to be desired tonight.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He's def been a disappointment. But outside of McDavid, you just described the entire team. Top to bottom there is zero work ethic from this team. Doing something as simple as that would tick off most of the boxes that plague this team on a nightly basis.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
He's def been a disappointment. But outside of McDavid, you just described the entire team. Top to bottom there is zero work ethic from this team. Doing something as simple as that would tick off most of the boxes that plague this team on a nightly basis.

Last three games I have actually really liked Jujhar, Letestu (meh), and Kassian a LOT. Our 4th line has been playing better with more sustained zone possession than our top 9.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Strome is what he is. He isn't going to help you much.
But he's far from the worst player out there.

Honestly what in the actual f*** was Chiarelli thinking with the Cammalleri pick up. Now that guy is useless. If you were going to scrape this low into the barrel why not just hold onto Desharnais? At least that guy could win a faceoff, PK a little and bury gift wrapped chances in the crease.

Drake Caggiula? Oh Lord. What a waste of a roster spot. I recall an offhand comment I made pre season about how he looks like Marc Arcobello out there. I humbly apologize to Marc Arcobello. He was never this useless.

Strome is at least more useful than either of these guys.

Reactions: Aerchon

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Last three games I have actually really liked Jujhar, Letestu (meh), and Kassian a LOT. Our 4th line has been playing better with more sustained zone possession than our top 9.

For sure. They had been great. But then, just as we've seen time and time again, the entire team goes back to pylons. I just don't understand it. 3 days off, just came off a win. They should have come out flying and taken it to Philly. there has to be something in the air in Oil Country. I haven't seen this poor of a work ethic in years. Even during the dark times we saw more heart from the team many nights.

I think Strome has the ability if he just gets involved in the play more. But easier said than done for some players.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How did he ever get 50 points before? He’s the exact opposite of the player type the PC talks about. He makes me miss Eberles work ethic and physical play.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Chia is on the job until at least next year ~20 game into the season. He will be given a chance to fix the mess he created. How is it that every gamble (Larsson/Lucic Talbot playing almost every game etc) he took last season turned up gold, and this season every gamble is snakeyes! (Strome/Russell is goood and bad on most nights Lucic is invisible except when heavy fighting, backup goalie is suspect at best) is this the law of averages working out?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
How in the Sam hell did this mediocre player ever go #5 overall? And I'd like to see the Oilers STOP making these kinds of trades for other teams castoffs just to save a few bucks, its not making us a better team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Strome is not a terrible player. This thread is awful. Click bait garbage for some random hate about a player, who while not playing great, is so far removed from being one of the Oilers issues this year it isn't even funny.

Everyone hoped for more and that is a letdown but he is a responsible two way player that fills the 3C spot adequately at an ok price.

The list is long of players I expect more from this year. As good as McDavid has been, I would put him as a guy I personally expected more from him this year from I've seen.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Don't really see the point in that, if you can add an asset for a player you don't see as having a future in the organization, that's usually the best option.
I don't know how much value a 6th or 7th will have to this organization but I suppose it's something.

Strome is not a terrible player. This thread is awful. Click bait garbage for some random hate about a player, who while not playing great, is so far removed from being one of the Oilers issues this year it isn't even funny.

Everyone hoped for more and that is a letdown but he is a responsible two way player that fills the 3C spot adequately at an ok price.

The list is long of players I expect more from this year. As good as McDavid has been, I would put him as a guy I personally expected more from him this year from I've seen.

If Strome was brought in at 2.5 for 1 year as a UFA he would be fine, instead we gave up a decent asset for him and he's been a complete nothing. But yeah, let's blame McDavid. After all, without him, we'd be the first team in NHL history to finish 31st overall.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't know how much value a 6th or 7th will have to this organization but I suppose it's something.

If Strome was brought in at 2.5 for 1 year as a UFA he would be fine, instead we gave up a decent asset for him and he's been a complete nothing. But yeah, let's blame McDavid. After all, without him, we'd be the first team in NHL history to finish 31st overall.

Ignoring cap space requirements for the team moving forward is bizarre. It needed to be dealt with.

Eberle publicly stated he had no confidence in himself while playing here. His regular season wasn't bad but his playoffs were.

Some extremely bizarre logic to think that a confidentless Eberle over Strome would be the solution to the Oilers problems this year. Think it's safe to agree with the "death by a thousand cuts" line Chiarelli used but for me goaltending has absolutely moved into the biggest deepest cuts overall. Something Eberle just wouldn't help with.

I also have you point out you agree with me that Strome is fine. People in this thread are trashing a player that does not deserve it to promote other beefs/agenda.

It's kind of sick and twisted to attack a player in the exact way that got the last player run out of town.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I think this needs a separate thread away from the actual thread about the trade.

I know we weren't expecting to get a 50-60pt player in return for Eberle at $2.5M, but jesus you'd hope the guy would be on a 20-20-40 pace at the very least with the opportunities he's being spoon-fed with premium C's.

I know he's not making obvious defensive gaffes (we have Russell and Gryba doing their very best at that) but the guy has been non-existent (to a Jokinenian level) since we've had him. He does absolutely nothing. He goes entire shifts without touching the puck. His passing is below average. He rarely gets shot off. His ability to receive passes is below average. His skating is average at best. He refuses to engage physically and is unable to ever recover 50/50 pucks when given the opportunity. He doesn't even look like he's trying!

NYI fans were right - this guy is absolutely INVISIBLE

Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Having drafted his younger brother Matt I kind of keep an eye on his brothers to see how the family is doing. Having said that I was taken back by Ryan's play last night. There were times where he put no effort at all in some battles for the puck. With all the talent on your team I thought Ryan would excel. Sadly he showed me next to nothing. I know Matt was a 4th rounder, but I do have some high hopes for him if he can improve his skating. I know it is not my place but I just wanted you to know you are not alone in your analysis of his play.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Chia is on the job until at least next year ~20 game into the season. He will be given a chance to fix the mess he created. How is it that every gamble (Larsson/Lucic Talbot playing almost every game etc) he took last season turned up gold, and this season every gamble is snakeyes! (Strome/Russell is goood and bad on most nights Lucic is invisible except when heavy fighting, backup goalie is suspect at best) is this the law of averages working out?

Lucic has been fine this season, don't know why people continue to heavily criticize him. Don't know what people expected from him exactly.
He's been one of the better Oilers on most nights.

As mentioned above, Strome is what he is. He'll show up occasionally and then disappear again for a while. He's a 30 point 3rd liner.
It's hard to single out one player. This is a team issue, they rarely have more than a few players going at once and generally fail at the general fundamentals of the game. Same issue they've had the last decade except with a different cast of characters every few years.

Reactions: Aerchon

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ignoring cap space requirements for the team moving forward is bizarre. It needed to be dealt with.

Eberle publicly stated he had no confidence in himself while playing here. His regular season wasn't bad but his playoffs were.

Some extremely bizarre logic to think that a confidentless Eberle over Strome would be the solution to the Oilers problems this year. Think it's safe to agree with the "death by a thousand cuts" line Chiarelli used but for me goaltending has absolutely moved into the biggest deepest cuts overall. Something Eberle just wouldn't help with.

I also have you point out you agree with me that Strome is fine. People in this thread are trashing a player that does not deserve it to promote other beefs/agenda.

Strome really isn't fine though. He's another plug on a team full of them. The reason he doesn't stand out is because a) he doesn't do anything and b) the team is full of issues.

I get that cap savings needed to be had but why trade Eberle for a downgrade? Cap space is only as good as what you use it on and so far it's been good for the thing it's been used on: Nothing.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Strome really isn't fine though. He's another plug on a team full of them. The reason he doesn't stand out is because a) he doesn't do anything and b) the team is full of issues.

I get that cap savings needed to be had but why trade Eberle for a downgrade? Cap space is only as good as what you use it on and so far it's been good for the thing it's been used on: Nothing.
Plus the cap savings were not needed until summer 2018. I'll never understand why the trade was rushed.

We wasted Eberle's time in Edmonton and got hosed in his trade. Ugh.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Plus the cap savings were not needed until summer 2018. I'll never understand why the trade was rushed.

We wasted Eberle's time in Edmonton and got hosed in his trade. Ugh.
Bad playoffs, addition by subtraction, blah blah blah...

Someone should unplug Chia's phone or block Snow's number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad