Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He seemed like a nice guy but just did not fit in well here.
I don't think the issue was he didn't fit in well here. I think the issue is that he wasn't very good. He wasn't very good in New York. He came to Edmonton and unsurprisingly wasn't very good here. The Oilers thought they could "reclaim" him. There was nothing there.

One of the most unnoteworthy high profile additions this team has had. Played 100 games as an Oiler. Probably noticed him in about 10 of those games, good or bad.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think the issue was he didn't fit in well here. I think the issue is that he wasn't very good. He wasn't very good in New York. He came to Edmonton and unsurprisingly wasn't very good here. The Oilers thought they could "reclaim" him. There was nothing there.

One of the most unnoteworthy high profile additions this team has had. Played 100 games as an Oiler. Probably noticed him in about 10 of those games, good or bad.

That could be, I didn't watch him enough on the Islanders to know if wysiwyg or if he was better or worse there. Pro scouting has been a weakness of this team for many years. Koskinen at least so far looks like someone knew wtf they were doing in terms of pro scouting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Possible uses for Strome would be as a cycle passer instead of shooter. for some reason the player, and usage had him shooting the puck as much as passing and just supporting plays. This fed into his self defeating as Strome really struggles to score at the NHL level. That's a problem for many players. Trouble for Strome as well is he was getting a lot of guys like Lucic, Pulju, etc that have also had trouble scoring. This resulting in non scoring collectives. Strome paid the price, ironically, for the lack of scoring and offense depth on this team that his trade contributed to. The biggest irony is that Strome couldn't really work here because we don't have the production depth around him. Strome might actually be able to do something if he had the right mix around him. Sometimes he would make deft and quick plays and reads, decisions that were good.

When Strome had moments of confidence you could see some verve, see some talent. But this was being hammered into the ice by players that have 2 goals in 66GP.

Lets be clear here too. Lucic is so bad of a hockey player now he was able to stymie McD + Drai at the same time. He was able to completely negate that line.

The problem, in fairness, wasn't Strome, it was Lucic. He's simply struggling to play NHL hockey right now. The player Lucic is now, he's not better than Khaira. That is an immense problem that isn't going away.

Even the decision last night to give Lucic most of a game with McD and Drai probably cost us the loss. It was a desperate move to get something going for Lucic that greatly contributed to our loss. It took the best line, maybe in all of hockey, right out of the game.

There is no way in hell Strome would look worse there than Lucic did.

Anyway Strome tried his best here, I believe that, didn't complain, was adaptable in roles, and was professional here. I liked his disposition, and he seemed to care. I didn't like his play too much while he was here but I wish him the best.

Reactions: TaroTsujimoto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad