Player Discussion Ryan Strome

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe he's going through that Nuge phase where he's asked to elite at 2way and its throwing him off or maybe his offence just sucks. Both are possible. But I don't mind him as long as he doesn't hurt us.

Reactions: ujju2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe he's going through that Nuge phase where he's asked to elite at 2way and its throwing him off or maybe his offence just sucks. Both are possible. But I don't mind him as long as he doesn't hurt us.
This is valid, but we've seen nearly every game him set up linemates for solid scoring chances. He's a quality playmaker. At some point someone's gotta finish.

Reactions: ujju2

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Giving Strome 2 years was a huge mistake. He’s not good at anything and makes no impact on the any given game. Throw him in the press box for 2-3 games and see if he can bounce back after that.

Reactions: The Batman

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
He’s making 3.5 mill, he should be a positive factor and contributing to wins. Guys like Khaira and Brodziak, for what they make, are ones I would be happy with if they aren’t hurting us.

Strome is getting paid like he should be driving that 3rd line and produce 35 points or so. He’s been pretty useless thus far.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
it's not really their fault, it's just that the 3rd line has zero talent and can't accomplish anything. To be fair, they really have no business playing in the NHL. Blame Chia.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
it's not really their fault, it's just that the 3rd line has zero talent and can't accomplish anything. To be fair, they really have no business playing in the NHL. Blame Chia.
Strome's 100% an Nhler. He's a streaky 3rd liner he will wake up and go on an insane stretch sooner or later. He is playing good for the most part and carrying around our deadweight in Lucic.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Solid defensively, but his line (and his play) lacks any identity. It reminds me of Nuge as the #3 centre. Yes, he can competently fill the role, but he'll bring nothing to the table when doing so.

I still think it'd be best from him to shift to RW, and move Khaira to the #3 centre. He's a better option to cycle with Lucic, and is also decent defensively. Assuming Chiasson eventually cools down, I'd be curious to see...

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Strome
Lucic-Khaira-Chiasson
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Strome's 100% an Nhler. He's a streaky 3rd liner he will wake up and go on an insane stretch sooner or later. He is playing good for the most part and carrying around our deadweight in Lucic.
You could argue Lucic and Strome are dead weight.

14 donuts for this guy. The only forward on the team without a point. The trade just gets more and more brutal.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
He’s not good at anything

That is demonstrably false. Ryan Strome is very good at preventing goals against. He's easily the best defensive forward on the team.

Also, luck is a widely accepted concept in analytics and Strome has had none. If not for that, Strome would likely be around his usual scoring levels.

McCurdy from the Edmonton Journal had a good article a couple of days ago:

"Indeed, that is Strome’s calling card. In 142 minutes of 5v5 play this season, his group has sawed off, scoring 2 goals but allowing just 2. That’s well under a goal an hour at each end of the rink. In a season where cleaning up the defensive side of things has been a major priority, that has value. Especially when you think of that ice time as rest time for McDavid and Draisaitl; in that context “low event” doesn’t seem like a bad idea.
In terms of flow of play, that 3 line has held its own and then some. During those 142 minutes, the Oilers are running a consistent 55% in all shot and scoring counts maintained by the essential Natural Stat Trick, with Strome ranking #1 among all forwards in on-ice shot attempts and scoring chances when expressed as a percentage. Those results are rooted in defence, as he is also #1 on the club in allowing the fewest such events per 60 minutes, while ranking nearer the middle of the pack in generating them. A similar pattern holds in the Cult of Hockey‘s own scoring chance metrics, where Strome has the best defensive mark among all the regular centres.
It’s especially instructive to compare how Strome’s most frequent linemates have done with and without him. Lucic for example has a respectable 51% Corsi in 90 minutes with Strome but an ugly 41% in 52 minutes on other lines. Strome without Lucic on the other hand is running 61%. Even more extreme are scoring chances where Lucic and Strome together are at 54%, Lucic without at a ghastly 34%.
Similar holds true for Strome’s other recent winger, Jesse Puljujarvi. In 57 minutes playing with Strome, J.P. has a 57% share of shot attempts and 56% of scoring chances. In 41 minutes with other linemates, Puljujarvi is running 42% and 43% respectively."

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I get the frustration about Strome's lack of production, but that's no excuse for not recognizing his defensive play this season. It's been outstanding. The numbers back it up.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I get the frustration about Strome's lack of production, but that's no excuse for not recognizing his defensive play this season. It's been outstanding. The numbers back it up.
If he's playing shutdown hockey against the best lines, then fine, but he's not. There is no possible way we win with a 3rd line like we have, he and his linemates HAVE to produce more. He is also on the 2nd string PP and still gets goose eggs, that is nowhere near acceptable. There is no way he can keep this pace of a 6 point season, and Im sure he wont, but he better start producing soon.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
That is demonstrably false. Ryan Strome is very good at preventing goals against. He's easily the best defensive forward on the team.

Also, luck is a widely accepted concept in analytics and Strome has had none. If not for that, Strome would likely be around his usual scoring levels.

McCurdy from the Edmonton Journal had a good article a couple of days ago:

"Indeed, that is Strome’s calling card. In 142 minutes of 5v5 play this season, his group has sawed off, scoring 2 goals but allowing just 2. That’s well under a goal an hour at each end of the rink. In a season where cleaning up the defensive side of things has been a major priority, that has value. Especially when you think of that ice time as rest time for McDavid and Draisaitl; in that context “low event” doesn’t seem like a bad idea.
In terms of flow of play, that 3 line has held its own and then some. During those 142 minutes, the Oilers are running a consistent 55% in all shot and scoring counts maintained by the essential Natural Stat Trick, with Strome ranking #1 among all forwards in on-ice shot attempts and scoring chances when expressed as a percentage. Those results are rooted in defence, as he is also #1 on the club in allowing the fewest such events per 60 minutes, while ranking nearer the middle of the pack in generating them. A similar pattern holds in the Cult of Hockey‘s own scoring chance metrics, where Strome has the best defensive mark among all the regular centres.
It’s especially instructive to compare how Strome’s most frequent linemates have done with and without him. Lucic for example has a respectable 51% Corsi in 90 minutes with Strome but an ugly 41% in 52 minutes on other lines. Strome without Lucic on the other hand is running 61%. Even more extreme are scoring chances where Lucic and Strome together are at 54%, Lucic without at a ghastly 34%.
Similar holds true for Strome’s other recent winger, Jesse Puljujarvi. In 57 minutes playing with Strome, J.P. has a 57% share of shot attempts and 56% of scoring chances. In 41 minutes with other linemates, Puljujarvi is running 42% and 43% respectively."

Sounds like Strome is driving that line with 2 plugs.

He's very a responsible centre.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I have nothing against Strome this season besides that he cant win a faceoff to save his life.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It really did on that Crosby play. I mean when you are thrown out against the other teams 4th line most of the time.. your plus minus wont look too bad. Get real, f*** his defensive game. 1 point in 18 games playing 15 min a night. Sooner or later that -1 will swell.

Like I said , the Ultimate vanilla player... Just a body on the roster to kill time and cap space.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It really did on that Crosby play. I mean when you are thrown out against the other teams 4th line most of the time.. your plus minus wont look too bad. Get real, f*** his defensive game. 1 point in 18 games playing 15 min a night. Sooner or later that -1 will swell.

Like I said , the Ultimate vanilla player... Just a body on the roster to kill time and cap space.

Eller, Connolly, Heinen, Ehlers, Laine, Little, Burakovsky, Kane, Krejci, Turris, Kruger, Jarnkrok, Anisimov, Debrusk, Backes, Nyqvist, Fiala, Saad, McCann, Bjugstad, Kessel, Niederreiter, Zucker, Rasmussen, Malkin.

"4th line"

space321

May 11, 2011
Eller, Connolly, Heinen, Ehlers, Laine, Little, Burakovsky, Kane, Krejci, Turris, Kruger, Jarnkrok, Anisimov, Debrusk, Backes, Nyqvist, Fiala, Saad, McCann, Bjugstad, Kessel, Niederreiter, Zucker, Rasmussen, Malkin.

"4th line"

I hope you're not excusing his brutal play due to his "quality" of competition.

He's paid 3.1M, he should be able to produce against the average NHL player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hope you're not excusing his brutal play due to his "quality" of competition.

He's paid 3.1M, he should be able to produce against the average NHL player.
3.1m, he is an average NHL player.

You guy's do know the cap is at 80m right, no longer the 39m when the lockout happened? and 5m was a superstar?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You guy's do know the cap is at 80m right, no longer the 39m when the lockout happened? and 5m was a superstar?
He has less goals than Kyle Brodziak who plays in a smaller role and gets no PP time.

Pull up your big boy pants and start producing, Strome.

space321

May 11, 2011

Thanks for the enlightenment man. Here's some facts:

Google says the average NHL salary is 2.4m. This means Strome is being paid more than average.

Strome has 1 goal in 16 games, that is below average production.

On the Oilers, all forwards getting paid less than him have either equalled or surpassed his point production. Strome is 5th highest paid forward on this team btw.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
The guy has been stapled to plugs. He's set up Lucic and Puljuarvi a ton of times and they haven't finished. He's hit a bunch of posts. The guy is playing decent hockey, but its not his fault the guys with him are useless offensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad