Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Poehling Sent to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Depends on how long KK's leash is. If he struggles for the first 10 or so, then yeah we could definitely see that happening.

It's funny how much we take to new guys and then the year after their rookie season the honeymoon effect is completely gone. We're super excited about Suzuki and Fleury and with KK it's like "you better get your s*** together, 19 year old."
Same happened with Victor Mete, Arturri Lehkonen, Alex Galchenyuk, Carey Price.

Very few players have escaped this 2nd year wrath from Habs fans.

Expect to see the same next year with Suzuki, Fleury and Poehling.

Reactions: dralaf

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was right! ****ing bust can't even make the NHL!!

Jokes aside, it's the right choice at the moment. Not that he isn't NHL ready, but Bergevin describing him playing fourth line and getting scratched every odd game sounded awful.

It's not the right choice on account of the specter of ending up as a part time 4th liner on the NHL team but only because of overvaluing scrubs like Reilly and Folin.

Failed reasoning. Correct outcome. Who needs a plan.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's not the right choice on account of the specter of ending up as a part time 4th liner on the NHL team but only because of overvaluing scrubs like Reilly and Folin.

Their reasoning is atrocious. But this is a group who's going to play Chiarot over a vastly superior Kulak for no reason. So I've long accepted the reasoning will be atrocious but hoping for accidental good outcomes.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Same happened with Victor Mete, Arturri Lehkonen, Alex Galchenyuk, Carey Price.

Very few players have escaped this 2nd year wrath from Habs fans.

Expect to see the same next year with Suzuki, Fleury and Poehling.
Oh I already do.

Now that you mention it, the only one I can think of lately who hasn't has been Gallagher?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Should be KK being sent down to Laval, with Poehling centering the 3rd line... but okay wtv

Perhaps, but, if they're close, they're going to keep the guy who played last season. Sending KK down would certainly draw attention.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Oh I already do.

Now that you mention it, the only one I can think of lately who hasn't has been Gallagher?
Pretty much - but he's the exception, not the norm.

Maybe Subban, though I don't even think he dodged the 2nd year fan/media hate.

Just comes with the territory.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
If he plays in the Ligue Sénior de Garage du Québec Sud-Ouest, he could play every single minute and be top-1.

Can you think of any reason why that might not be a good thing?

Whats the alternative? Him and kk compete to see who can play with the worst linemates all year while Danault plays with our top wingers. Ive seen this play out already.

Reactions: Pickles and Mrb1p

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

If they are worried about him playing limited minutes and getting scratched at times, it means he is not ready for the 4th line full-time yet.

So with a young player, it is better for him to play 6th line in Laval than 5th line in the pressbox or short-term injury sub.

But if Ryan were really seen as capable of being in the top-12 he would be on the team now, and not pass first through top-18 (6th line).

Reactions: Archijerej

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
What you call "the worst linemates" are far and away better than the linemates in Laval. Better to play with Armia and Lehkonen than Peca and Belzile.

Ok, remember that when we’re all bitching about the fact he had 7-8 minutes of playing time. Or was consistently our least played forward.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Whats the alternative? Him and kk compete to see who can play with the worst linemates all year while Danault plays with our top wingers. I've seen this play out already.
This isn't making sense. Even if you would like KK or Poehling to play with Gallagher and Tatar and are frustrated that our idiot coach does not agree, it's still better to get Lehkonen and Armia rather than Belzile and Weise.

At least in the NHL, our man might play with Gally or Tuna in practice or the occasional shift in a game. In Laval, he can only hope that Jevpalovs gets a bit better and surpasses Weise, or for other inane developments.

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
This isn't making sense. Even if you would like KK or Poehling to play with Gallagher and Tatar and are frustrated that our idiot coach does not agree, it's still better to get Lehkonen and Armia rather than Belzile and Weise.

At least in the NHL, our man might play with Gally or Tuna in practice or the occasional shift in a game. In Laval, he can only hope that Jevpalovs gets a bit better and surpasses Weise, or for other inane developments.

Yes of course the habs wingers are better than lavals, but how good is it for development when said player is playing limited time and stapled to the bench when he makes a mistake? Look at the end of the day we both want the same thing the best player possible, I really dont think the habs know how to go about this. We’ve tried rushing guys to the nhl and it hasnt worked great, maybe alittle patience is needed. Just a quick look on hockey db shows that pk, pacioretty and pleks spent significant time in the ahl and turned out alright.

Reactions: Pickles

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes of course the habs wingers are better than lavals, but how good is it for development when said player is playing limited time and stapled to the bench when he makes a mistake? Look at the end of the day we both want the same thing the best player possible, I really dont think the habs know how to go about this. We’ve tried rushing guys to the nhl and it hasnt worked great, maybe alittle patience is needed. Just a quick look on hockey db shows that pk, pacioretty and pleks spent significant time in the ahl and turned out alright.
Pleks spent time on the 6th line BEFORE he was good enough for the 4th line. Pacioretty same thing.

Subban had things to work on when he turned pro, flaws in his game at Junior that needed to be expunged before he could handle a regular role in the NHL.

I'm not against guys playing on the 6th line or the 5th defence pair down in Laval. Especially if they need this phase of development to get them ready for 4th line or 3rd D-pair roles.

But if they are already good enough for the role they would eventually get after their stint in Laval, and the aren't too many NHL regulars ahead of them, then no need to send them down.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Highest GPG in the history of the NHL and can’t crack the roster of one of the weakest offensive teams :sarcasm:

That’s what happens when you corner the market on bottom 6 players

Ok with him playing big minutes in Laval rather than the 4th line but would rather see someone traded to make room and Domi moved back to the wing

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The only reason to start your pro career on the 6th line (top AHL line) is if you are not ready for the 4th line yet, and you don't think it is a good ideato be on the 5th line (press box).

Most of the time, a player who comes up from the AHL goes to the bottom-six anyway. It's rare to be playing with Alex Belzile one day, and Brendan Gallagher the next.
In montreal it is, every other team, not so much.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ok, remember that when we’re all *****ing about the fact he had 7-8 minutes of playing time. Or was consistently our least played forward.
Just wait and see, next game hell have more ice time! Its all according to the plan! Make him earn it! Gotta bring him in slowly! Do you want Kotkaniemi playing against the other teams top line?

Mashup of 2019.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Who knows what will happen... could be he replaces another struggling centre that is sent down for a reset.... could be a well known struggling winger is traded and there is a spot on the wing.... could be that a well liked first line centre is moved back to the wing to make space to Peohling...

Who knows....

I have no problem with Poehling spending time in Laval.

I just think this decision is postponing an inevitably hard decision: how to find a spot for all of Danault, Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Poehling in the top 9?

Suzuki is versatile enough to play wing. We'll see about Poehling. Because I have a feeling he's good enough to be a top 9 player right now.

imo his time in Laval will prove that.

So I have no problem with the decision. I just think it's not really making a decision. They said it was because he only had 2 preseason games and they need more games to evaluate him and they don't want to unnecessarily lose a depth player (they'd have to put Cousins, Reilly, or Folin on waivers to make room for him). Anyways, we'll see what happens in Laval.

Reactions: Paddyjack

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It is when they’re nhl depth. Plus I don’t believe either of them spent any time in the ahl. No sense losing them for nothing. Then who gets called up? Ouellette? Alzner?

Leskinen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We’re talking about Bergevin here eh? He will not risk losing depth on D even if you think nobody claims Reilly or Folin.

I agree.

I will say, given the depth we have at forward in Laval, I'd rather lose Cousins than Reilly or Folin.

Reilly and Folin are better than a whole host of players we tried as the number six (Beaulieu, Nesterov, Joe Morrow, Redmond, Jerabek, Ouellet, Alzner, Schlemko, Streit (2nd time) etc...) After all those trials I think keeping these guys as #7 and #8 makes sense.

Hudon, Evans, Varone, Barber, McCarron, etc... can all fill in on the 4th line if there's an injury at forward if we were to lose Cousins to waivers. And, Byron, Poehling, and Weal can move into the top 9 if there's an injury in the top 9.

So we're well insulated if there's at least 3 injuries at forward. What if there were 3 injuries at D? I'd rather have Reilly and Folin than Ouellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino