Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Poehling Sent to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
4th line deployment wasn't the problem and wasn't a factor in the decision. The concussion was. He fell behind and tried to do to much in his last preseason game to make up for lost time. Meanwhile, Thompson had a solid camp. I expect Poehling to be back soon, unless we're unexpectedly good and healthy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Suzuki is responsible enough defensively. Perhaps it's too much of a risk with Drouin on the other wing. But Byron, Armia, or Lehkonen are also good defensively.

I'd go

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Domi Weal
Lehkonen KK Suzuki
Byron Thompson/Poehling Armia

Having said that, this is just the beginning. CJ is slow to make changes, but he does make changes eventually.

I’m sure they will try various options with our balanced lineup approach. I’m open to it

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
4th line deployment wasn't the problem. The concussion was. He fell behind and tried to do to much in his last preseason game to make up for lost time. Meanwhile, Thompson had a solid camp. I expect Poehling to be back soon, unless we're unexpectedly good and healthy.
This.

Not to mention that there was no way Poehling was going to start game 1 vs the Canes...they're going with Domi-Danault-Kotkaniemi-Thompson down the middle to start the year.

So why potentially lose a depth Dman for a player you're not going to use right off the bat anyways.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Crazy how camps can turn everything you were thinking upside down.

I thought Suzuki would need time in the A and Poehling would be a lock on the team, but then camp happened and this is the result.

He'll be back up in no time. Within the first 10 games, I'm guessing.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
4th line deployment wasn't the problem. The concussion was. He fell behind and tried to do to much in his last preseason game to make up for lost time. Meanwhile, Thompson had a solid camp. I expect Poehling to be back soon, unless we're unexpectedly good and healthy.

Depends on what Suzuki and Kotkaniemi does as well. Let’s say Suzuki keeps earning his spot and Poehling does very well in the AHL.. who’s the guy going to Laval when Poehling forced our hand and we have no injuries?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Crazy how camps can turn everything you were thinking upside down.

I thought Suzuki would need time in the A and Poehling would be a lock on the team, but then camp happened and this is the result.

He'll be back up in no time. Within the first 10 games, I'm guessing.

Could get even more upside down.. image Poehling replacing Kotkaniemi and the eagle gets sent to Laval? It’s more possible than most realize

Reactions: Redux91

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I mentioned them because they weŕe specifically referenced the other day as players MB was afraid to lose so he couldnt send them down forcing him to send poehling instead but on the 4th line minutes thing we definitely agree
I know but why cut up MB then? The two things have nothing to do with each other and they’re actually good decisions.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Imo, he's like Eller tons of skills and physical gifts, but has Tunnel vision and lacks hockey sense. Is at least a great defensive player who will randomely come alive offensively - sometimes even in big monents.
He protects the puck very well and is surprisingly good at take aways

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He protects the puck very well and is surprisingly good at take aways

Yes that's one of his skills - that meshes well with his physical gifts.

It's very useful for defensive purposes. But what use is having the puck on offensive if you can't score or create a scoring chance.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I was listening to TSN690, I forget who it was but all three were like, "Habs are definitely going with 14F/7D. Without a doubt." Smart reporters we have here.
I was listening this morning on my way to work. One of them was convinced we're gonna go into season with Drouin as the extra forward.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
the think I'm scared is that the AHL has some goons who just want to prove they are capable goons to play in the NHL.

It just takes the wrong goon to hit Poehling's head again.
There's a lot less goons than there were 10 years ago. You don't even get a fight every match now. The PIM leaders have around 150 compared to 300+ in the past.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Not the sexy move but the right one nonetheless

Was really excited to see him in MTL but it won't be long

Reactions: CDN24

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Drouin and Weal definitely have skill, so at the least the "KK plays with bums" narrative will die.
Drouin is a bum though.

And Weal is an actual 3rd line player.

KK was anchored with Drouin in the 3rd portion of last season and KK disapeared.

He was then put on the wing and then Drouin on the fourth because Drouin was sapping the life of any line he was put on.

So I can't really agree with your assessment that KK is not playing with "bums".

Weal will help because of his work ethic, but he's no star and if Drouin stays Drouin, then KK will still be playing with a "bum"

Reactions: habsfan891

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
And now you know why players will always lie about concussions..

The **** does Thompson do that Poehling doesn't do 10x better?

Edit; I know this is temporary, but yeah, I'm still not very happy about it this morning..

Who cares. What matters is what’s best for Poehling’s career long-term. He should get a ton of minutes in Laval, not so much in Montreal.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
will help him for sure, but would love to have him up
he will replace Byron when he gets hurt soon, he gets hurt alot

he'll replace Thompson, not Byron

starting him in Laval is good tho, he didn't play much in the preseason and he still might not be at 100%

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Mixed feelings here guys............probably the right call, but I was hoping he would have stayed...

Let's hope for a call up soon, once Laflamme is traded...

This is where I’m at. Prob the right call but as a fan I was looking forward to seeing him play every night. Oh well, injuries are almost guaranteed, I suspect we seem him pretty soon.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wouldn't be surprised if Kotkaniemi gets sent down if he continues to struggle and Poehling takes his place.
At least they'd have the proper starting chair for Poehling if that was the case. I'm actually relieved he's no where near our fourth line at this point at least up and until Thompson is no longer.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
And where will he be used when he's back?

Thompson sits and you move Lehkonen/Suzuki/Poehling/Weal around the roster.

Basically he can play 4C instead of Thompson or 2nd line LW with Domi and Suzuki. Alternatively you can put Suzuki with Weal/Poehling etc.

Reactions: 26Mats

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Is there any evidence that Julien trusts Reilly or Folin? Because it seems like he doesn't.

He also hasn't had much issue playing young guys.

Rielly and Folin are insurance if Fleury is not ready or if someone gets hurt. Not much on the RD side if Fleury not ready any you lose folin to waivers. Look at the Jets D. They claimed a LD off waivers today. if folin were on waivers he would be a jet now. Their RD as of right now is Neal Pionk (101 NHL games exp) and Sami Niku (31 games NHL exp), and Luke Green (o games NHL and 15 games AHL experience). (3 guys between NHL and AHL) 2 of whom are very green no pun intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad