Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Poehling Sent to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well I said season AND preseason. You can't just ignore his historic playoff performance.
I didn't. He did very well last year in Juniors, had a great pre-season. I never argued otherwise, so not sure what your point is with this. I still want him in the AHL this year, at least to start.

So you would also send down Kotkaniemi an Fleury? You would only call them up once you *think* you can contend? How do you know when you are in contention status? How do you know how long it will take to get into that status?
I wanted KK in AHL or Finland last year. No..I wouldn't just call them up when I think we're ready to contend. I would do it regardless of where our team is after they displayed a very good stretch of games in the minors if need be. There isn't a one specific type of situation they need to abide to.

I look at our current team, our expectations, our affiliate and their expectations, along with the individual's potential and expectation. Factoring all this, I rather Suzuki start off in the minors.

Kucherovs first season was when we swept Tampa in the first round. So should they have kept him down there?
Who cares? For the record, Kucherov was killing it in the AHL before he got called up. He had 13g in 17gp with 24pts. I never argued against calling Suzuki up if he's absolutely owning the competition.
Blues were the worst team in the league until January 3rd, did they make a mistake keeping Robert Thomas?
Honestly don't know where to start with this...hmm...you suggesting we're going to win the cup? Thomas has 1 NHL season and he was a pretty insignificant piece for their PO run scoring 1 goal in 21gp. But wouldn't Thomas have needed to go back to juniors? If not then ya, I likely would have preferred him to at least start in the AHL last season.
If Suzuki's choice was NHL or juniors, then I'd probably keep him around.
There are so many other examples out there.
Ya...there are countless examples of guys starting in the AHL and doing very well after, you named one yourself with Kucherov. Who cares...I never said Suzuki wouldn't become a good player if he stuck around, so not sure why you bring up examples.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, they compete hard in the AHL. You dont have vets slacking off, and you dont have junior players.
Well hence why I said "more or less"

But I don't agree that every veteran competes hard in the AHL. A lot of them feel like they don't want to be there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So how many games into the season will you start to care about his play?
I always care about his play - regular season play that is.

But i'll have more data to judge after he's played a dozen games, i'll be in a better position, personally, to make an assessment of where his game is at.

If in 4-6 weeks from now he's struggling, then perhaps sending him to Laval should be considered.

But he's earned the opportunity to start the year in Montreal and it's not because he struggles, that he should automatically be sent to the AHL.

This is a part of the developmental track for most players...it's not always "arrow up".

We're on the even of game 1...everyone's got a clean slate.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well hence why I said "more or less"

But I don't agree that every veteran competes hard in the AHL. A lot of them feel like they don't want to be there.
You're arguing for the sake of it mate.
The AHL is nothing like a pre-season NHL camp. Ya..“more or less”...so are my pick up games in Hong Kong on saturdays. Bunch of men playing hockey...hey..“more or less” like it. Let's not be silly. They're not the same.

A lot of vets dont want to be there...perhaps, doesn't mean they aren't competing hard.
In the end, if the AHL wasnt competitive, it would have been dismantled by now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You're arguing for the sake of it mate.
The AHL is nothing like a pre-season NHL camp. Ya..“more or less”...so are my pick up games in Hong Kong on saturdays. Bunch of men playing hockey...hey..“more or less” like it. Let's not be silly. They're not the same.
I didn't say they were the same - so not sure whose arguing for the sake of arguing here.

But OK.

A lot of vets dont want to be there...perhaps, doesn't mean they aren't competing hard.
In the end, if the AHL wasnt competitive, it would have been dismantled by now.
Who said it wasn't competitive? Again...you're taking this where it doesn't need to go.

All I said was that the way you described the NHL preseason, could more or less be used to describe the AHL.

NHL preseason isn't indicative of **** like you said...I agree with that.

But really, when you think about it, neither is the AHL.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't say they were the same - so not sure whose arguing for the sake of arguing here.

But OK.

Who said it wasn't competitive? Again...you're taking this where it doesn't need to go.

All I said was that the way you described the NHL preseason, could more or less be used to describe the AHL.

NHL preseason isn't indicative of **** like you said...I agree with that.

But really, when you think about it, neither is the AHL.

It can't. It has nothing to do with the actual regular season of the AHL. Nothing.
And yes, some guys are very good in the AHL and suck in the NHL, so being good there isn't indicative of anything either. Doesn't mean one should skip the process.

Chippy11

We have a Hulk
Jun 2, 2015
Habs have certainly one of their best 4th line since years, one of the best in the NHL.

I agree, you swap the center for a average 3rd line centre and it’s still a potable 3rd line with those wingers.
Hopefully they don’t prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->