Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Generally you can tell by now if a prospect has high end skills or not. He's not 19.
I'm not saying he has NO SKILL. He's could be an above average player, that's his ceiling. And he could bring it in the form of an all around game. That would be great. I like Ryan. I still have hope for him. We need some size and speed on the wing.

Another former 1st round pick from USA...Max Pacioretty was older than Poehling when people here were saying the exact same thing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling development reminds me of max pacioretty, i think many have to chill and be patient.
only way i would trade him, is he part of a package for a young impact player.
If not, then let him spend the year in laval like max did in the minors

bellow is max stats... easy to see that ryan is only in year 1 as a pro. To become an nhl reg, it took max 4 years.
2008-09Hamilton BulldogsAHL3762329431----------
2008-09Montreal CanadiensNHL34381127-3----------
2009-10Montreal CanadiensNHL523111420-5----------
2009-10Hamilton BulldogsAHL182911101251012
2010-11Hamilton BulldogsAHL27171532204----------
2010-11Montreal CanadiensNHL3714102439-1----------
2011-12Montreal CanadiensNHL79333265562----------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Pacioretty started producing at the ANHL and NHL level in 2010-2011 - i.e. in his 4th season post draft. Poehling is now entering his 3rd season post draft. If he follows Pacioretty's path he'll start producing not this year but next year. Still, I definitely think Poehling has less talent than Pacioretty and it may take longer for him to find his way as a 20 goal power forward winger. I want him to develop all year in Laval.

Last edited:
Reactions: John B and tazsub3

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nah Poehling reminds me more of Danault's development. They literally had identical ppg pace in the AHL in their rookie year there. The attitude is what scares me most. Entitled and just wants to video game. Never gonna cut it like that.

I think Poehling has the drive to be hard working. But he's much cockier than Danault, who at least had more humility. Poehling expects himself to be successful. Danault expeted himself to work his own ass off and see what would happen. Poehling by now I think has realized he's going to have to work. We'll see if he actually embraces the role of someone who's going to have to work every day for every inch of success.

Reactions: nicehiss

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think Poehling has the drive to be hard working. But he's much cockier than Danault, who at least had more humility. Poehling expects himself to be successful. Danault expeted himself to work his own ass off and see what would happen. Poehling by now I think has realized he's going to have to work. We'll see if he actually embraces the role of someone who's going to have to work every day for every inch of success.
Poehling scorer 4 goals in his 1st NHL game. I remember people having him at 20 goals last year and times on the 3rd line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling scorer 4 goals in his 1st NHL game. I remember people having him at 20 goals last year and times on the 3rd line.

His awareness on the ice needs to mature. He's too prone to turnovers and can't handle the speed of the NHL game. Hopefully with experience the NHL game slows down for him. There's no rush.

But I do think he could score 20 eventually as a winger. Not sure he has the IQ and puck skills to be a center. He does have NHL size and speed though.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
His awareness on the ice needs to mature. He's too prone to turnovers and can't handle the speed of the NHL game. Hopefully with experience the NHL game slows down for him. There's no rush.

But I do think he could score 20 eventually as a winger. Not sure he has the IQ and puck skills to be a center. He does have NHL size and speed though.
He does have good size and speed with a scoring touch. I agree that being a winger that crashes the net wouldn't be a bad thing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just needs to get stronger so he can be a power player in the NHL. Just gonna take some time.

He does have good size and speed with a scoring touch. I agree that being a winger that crashes the net wouldn't be a bad thing.

I really hope they don't rush him into a 4th line role in the NHL. Let him try to develop a scoring touch at the AHL level first. As Pacioretty asked to do, and ended up doing.

Reactions: John B

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I really hope they don't rush him into a 4th line role in the NHL. Let him try to develop a scoring touch at the AHL level first. As Pacioretty asked to do, and ended up doing.

Poehling will never develop into a scorer IMO, his shot is nothing to write home about.

He's big and has a decent touch and flair for the net, he should be developed as a big winger that drives the net.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Poehling will never develop into a scorer IMO, his shot is nothing to write home about.

He's big and has a decent touch and flair for the net, he should be developed as a big winger that drives the net.

Have you heard of the Mendoza line in baseball?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Agreed on the second point about developing him as a bug winger.

How many goals will he score? I don't know. Bo way he's an elite scorer. Can he consistently hit 25? That's a tall order. He had two nice snipes in his his first game, in addition to the deflection goal and the drive the net and shovel it in goal. He'll need to work on his shot. But first thing's first: he needs to gain awareness of the play around him so he doesn't constantly turn the puck over.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Looking like Poehling is another first round bust.They wouldn't even play him in the playoffs when we basically had nobody to put in the lineup.

Oh he's not ready now. No one is debating that. I'm more concerned with how he looks not even this upcoming year, but the year after.

Pacioretty and Tom Wilson are two power forward types that it took a little longer for them to really get their career going. Pacioretty's numbers in both the NHL and AHL were not good the year before he started producing.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Pacioretty started producing at the ANHL and NHL level in 2010-2011 - i.e. in his 4th season post draft. Poehling is now entering his 3rd season post draft. If he follows Pacioretty's path he'll start producing not this year but next year. Still, I definitely think Poehling has less talent than Poehling and it may take longer for him to find his way as a 20 goal power forward winger. I want him to develop all year in Laval.
:confused:

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

Several reports of Danault this off season describe him as very 'confident'. And when Danault was Poehling's age, he had just finished a 72-game season in the AHL with 26 points... It took 2 more years for him to be an NHL regular. If anything I think Danault may be a good comparable for Poehling if he continues to develop.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Several reports of Danault this off season describe him as very 'confident'. And when Danault was Poehling's age, he had just finished a 72-game season in the AHL with 26 points... It took 2 more years for him to be an NHL regular. If anything I think Danault may be a good comparable for Poehling if he continues to develop.

I don't know about this one. I never saw Danault at the AHL level. But hasn't he always been a defensive winner and good with puck management? I could see him being confident with the puck, because of his above his age level awareness of the game. Whereas I see Poehling lacking this, but just generally having a big ego and having high expectations and ambitions for himself.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Poehling can put it together imagine a line of Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Anderson in the playoffs

:hit:

Could be useful.

But I'd rather us get a Kucheriv and a Point and imagine a line with those two on it.

Oalat's a bull and an important player. But he's an important secondary player, like Anderson.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
EiokulIWkAAY5pG

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wish we had traded him when his value was high. I had high hopes but I'm more conservative now. Not enough upside.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Pacioretty started producing at the ANHL and NHL level in 2010-2011 - i.e. in his 4th season post draft. Poehling is now entering his 3rd season post draft. If he follows Pacioretty's path he'll start producing not this year but next year. Still, I definitely think Poehling has less talent than Pacioretty and it may take longer for him to find his way as a 20 goal power forward winger. I want him to develop all year in Laval.

I disagree, you can't compare Poehling vs Pacioretty.

Pacioretty was 19 during his first AHL season and still got 29 pts in 37 gp. In the same season he had 11 pts in 34 gp in the NHL.

Poehlinh was 20 last during his first AHL season and got 13 pts in 36 gp. At this point, he has 5 pts in 28 gp in the NHL.

There's no comparison IMO. At this point, we would be lucky if he turn out into Eller 2.0. Then again, Eller got 57 pts in 70 gp in the AHL (first season in America) at 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad