Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I have no issues trading Poehling at all if it's part of a deal for a good young winger or defenseman.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I hope being surrounded by suzuki and kk fuels his competitive drive to have a much better sophomore season

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
They did admit that he pouted and had a negative attitude when he didnt make the team out of camp when he was sent down.
No they did not. This is what Joel Bouchard actually said: "C’est le temps de le laisser tranquille et me laisser le coacher...Le bruit de l’extérieur et quand je dis ça, je ne parle pas du Canadien, le Canadien le laisse tranquille. Je parle des journalistes et des partisans...C’est assez de bruit et maintenant, on travaille avec. Il a une bonne attitude, c’est un bon kid, il veut bien faire, il ne veut pas décevoir personne et là, on travaille ensemble avec Alex Burrows, moi, avec ses coéquipiers."

That was on November 25. You can hear everything Bouchard said about Poehling here:

He did admit to not working out for the entire pause from covid to the bubble.
No he did not. This is what Ryan Poehling actually said: "Umm, I mean honestly, this last hundred days I didn't really prepare, I shouldn't say prepare, it was just more of just a recollection of what happend, what I could do differently and that, I've been working since last July for this year, so I think for me I just kinda took some time off and kind of just got my head straight, and I think that's helped me out a lot."

That was in response to a reporter that asked him what had he improved most about his game. He didn't actually say that he he did not work out for that entire time, that's just a negative interpretation. Here is another interpretation that is perfectly consistent with what he said, and to my mind more likely. Athletes work out moderately in-season to maintain, and more intensely off-season to develop and improve. The question was about what he had improved. His response indicated that he had not yet switched to his intense off-season training regimen, i.e. he was still following his in-season training regimen, which for him is equivalent to taking time off in comparison to his usual off-season training regimen.
And that doesnt encompass the things that we arent allowed to talk about.
I guess you are referring to his political and religious leanings, which have absolutely nothing to do with him as a hockey player nor do they call his character or attitude into question. The very reason that this subject matter is banned here is that it is very much irrelevant on a hockey discussion board, and potentially divisive. So since we are not allowed to talk about it, let's not even bring it up.
Obviously you are taking too much offense to how people phrase things on a hockey board where most posts are sensationalized or hyperbolic.
I don't know about you but complaining and pouting as a first year player because you didn't make the NHL (and did nothing to show you should be there and did nothing subsequently to show you did deserve to be there) isnt being humble, it is pouting and it is an attitude issue.
I dont know about you but after a first pro season where I had one of the worst first years of any Habs first rounder.. not working out isn't exactly the sign of being motivated. Sounds pretty lazy to me and would absolutely lead to him not looking as fit as a pro should be (and for mrb1p who literally body builds and is hyperbolic would make the double chin comment).
You took offense to the phrasing but the underlying reason for those statements have all been corroborated.
Now we are getting to the root of the problem. My stance is that if someone has to resort to sensationalism or hyperbole to support a position, then their position has little merit. There are a lot of smart and knowledgeable people here, and I include you as one of them. I strongly believe that this would be a better and less divided place if everyone took the time and used their smarts and knowledge to form an opinion that is supported by the actual evidence, instead of supported by rumors, sensationalism, and hyperbole.

Thank you for taking the time to read my response.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I always find thid kid a bit strange.

I dont know..a feeling.

At wjc , I was shocked by his interviews on RDS for exemple.....always talking at 100mph...hoping to finish the interview asap...he was looking as someone who need to pee..

When he lost in the final...I have never seen a guy crying that much. I was like ok..this kid wants to win badly and then after 10 minutes I was like ..wow..a 5 year old kid dont cry that much..

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I always find thid kid a bit strange.

I dont know..a feeling.

At wjc , I was shocked by his interviews on RDS for exemple.....always talking at 100mph...hoping to finish the interview asap...he was looking as someone who need to pee..

When he lost in the final...I have never seen a guy crying that much. I was like ok..this kid wants to win badly and then after 10 minutes I was like ..wow..a 5 year old kid dont cry that much..

Definitely has a massive ego that is used to success. Let's see how he handles setbacks and not meeting expectations so fast.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
He even messed up his first interview.....lol....so pumped to be picked by a original six like the maple leafs....haha

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Why are people so down on him? Next year is the big one for Mr. Poehling.
Hates gonna hate.

Seriously though, its that dead zone. Last summer you could have traded high.. now you'd be trading low... but will he bounce back or fall even lower? Tough to say. May still get some value in a package but 1 on 1 he ain't going to bring you back much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hates gonna hate.

Seriously though, its that dead zone. Last summer you could have traded high.. now you'd be trading low... but will he bounce back or fall even lower? Tough to say. May still get some value in a package but 1 on 1 he ain't going to bring you back much.

It's normal for guys to adjust to the Pro game. He could get his value back after next year or it gets worse. You got to live with that. Same as Brook.

Way too much pressure and expectations

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
I’d put his value at the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick right now.

I’d rather keep him than trade him for that. If he has another off year his value will drop to a 3rd-4th. If he surprises and makes some solid improvements, I could see his value rocketing back to 1st round territory.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let him get Boucharded and then we'll talk. If Bouchard can't help him get to where he should be, then it'll be time for some other org. to try.

Unless there is something we don't know. I mean, he might just be immature and has a few lessons to learn.

Reactions: Deebs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Let him get Boucharded and then we'll talk. If Bouchard can't help him get to where he should be, then it'll be time for some other org. to try.

Unless there is something we don't know. I mean, he might just be immature and has a few lessons to learn.

I think being MVP of the world Juniors also helped his cause. Romanov's world Junior performances are a big reason for his high rating among many.

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I really hope it's a maturity thing with him. If he is still the same way next year, there should be serious questions on how the Habs draft crew couldn't find this problem early on with another first round disappointment/bust.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I really hope it's a maturity thing with him. If he is still the same way next year, there should be serious questions on how the Habs draft crew couldn't find this problem early on with another first round disappointment/bust.

It's not like it would have been hard to find out the red flags

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I don't get the hate for Phoeling.

Kid is big strong, hard to knock of the puck.
Has a good shot and can skate

He reminds me of a young #17 named John LeClair another American kid.

Before you all jump down my throat I don't think he's a 50 goals scorer in a totally different era.

But give him a chance to grow into a LW role and learn how to be a pro.

I see him as a solid 20-25 goal 3rd line winger who could be plugged into the second line as spot duty.

He was a great college player and his MVP at the World Juniors shows the kid has a lot of upside.

Trading him and Domi for Johnny Hockey would be a HUGE mistake!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->