Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Not a knock on the player, but if by your standards ROR is "big" so is our entire forward group. He's 5'11.

Is he not 6'1? That's what he's listed at on hockeydb. Guess it's not huge still but the guy plays "big". And surprisingly we have guys that are not midgets - Danault is also listed 6'1 on the same site but he doesn't strike me as "big" when I watch him play lol

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Does he need to be protected for expansion draft just because he played that one game?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Big year for Poehling, Brook, and others in our pool. Ylonen, Hillis, Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Primeau to name some others.

As far as Poehling? He just needs to stay hunger to improve and committed to the parts of the game the coach is trying to get him to focus on. He's got game and we lack big boys that skate well. I'll make my true judgement after his 2nd pro year. If he stalls again, it's troubling yes
I’m not really basing my opinion on his struggles in the AHL. I never thought there was much to his game. I suspect he will improve marginally, but it won’t be enough to be promoted and contribute full time to an NHL team. He’s a tweener at best imo.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I’m not really basing my opinion on his struggles in the AHL. I never thought there was much to his game. I suspect he will improve marginally, but it won’t be enough to be promoted and contribute full time to an NHL team. He’s a tweener at best imo.
Yep
Another late first round bust.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don't think he's a bust. I think people overrated him from day 1. The offense was never really there save for a couple games in the WJC tournament and his hat trick in his NHL debut. He probably could develop into a solid bottom six guy with 25-30 point potential in the NHL. He was always a safe type pick with a low ceiling that is likely to play in the NHL due to his size and reliability in his own end. Offense was never going to be his bread and butter.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't think he's a bust. I think people overrated him from day 1. The offense was never really there save for a couple games in the WJC tournament and his hat trick in his NHL debut. He probably could develop into a solid bottom six guy with 25-30 point potential in the NHL. He was always a safe type pick with a low ceiling that is likely to play in the NHL due to his size and reliability in his own end. Offense was never going to be his bread and butter.

While there is some truth to the over hyping of Poehling's offensive potential I would say that you are equally guilty of the opposite in limiting him to a 30 point ceiling.

I still see a 45-60 point ceiling for him with a strong two way game. He is very good at tipping pucks and when he adds some man strength he could potentially be a handful in front of the net on the pp.

Hopefully he is putting the work in to reach that ceiling.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
While there is some truth to the over hyping of Poehling's offensive potential I would say that you are equally guilty of the opposite in limiting him to a 30 point ceiling.

I still see a 45-60 point ceiling for him with a strong two way game. He is very good at tipping pucks and when he adds some man strength he could potentially be a handful in front of the net on the pp.

Fair enough. I can't say that he would never score 45-60 points. He just doesn't strike me as the type that can produce big numbers like that. He wasn't even a PPG player in college. Not even in his final season (which was his junior season). Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Don’t get people wrong. Ryan Poehling will be an NHL player because he’s a rounded defensive forward. Because of his size and built people in Montreal wanted a franchise center at the time, probably people think he’s a #1 center. He’s actually a perfect #3 center if fully reach potential. I see a Lars Eller type.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Fair enough. I can't say that he would never score 45-60 points. He just doesn't strike me as the type that can produce big numbers like that. He wasn't even a PPG player in college. Not even in his final season (which was his junior season). Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right.
Poehling was never projected to put up big numbers, draft ceiling projection was a solid 2-way C.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Poehling takes a massive step forward this year, Bergevin will have the luxury of being able to trade Domi and Danault for other assets, possibly including cap space as well. That'd be an incredible outcome.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If Poehling takes a massive step forward this year, Bergevin will have the luxury of being able to trade Domi and Danault for other assets, possibly including cap space as well. That'd be an incredible outcome.
Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening, but this is definitely the desired outcome.

Reactions: DAChampion

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Yeah I think some are just over counter-weighting some of the crazy hype with the low ball expectations.

As much as I wanted to see a big leap in his offensive production in his D+2 year, I still saw significant improvement in his game. He really started to make skill plays at high speeds which stood out to me.

I don't think there's star upside but real impact for us? I think so. But I mean sheer upside.

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned whether he can get back on track. When you hear CJ talking up KK and Suzuki when they first hit the bubble and no mention of Poehling, it was a bit concerning. Especially with the rumours floating around about laziness or whatever. Take them with a grain of salt but many times where there's smoke, there's fire. Him not even getting a sniff at our 4th line was telling too.

I think Poehling's going to be one of Bouchard's first real tests or maybe a better word is 'project'. I believe we should think long and hard about trying him out on the wing. His size and overall game, best case scenario, could really help out our top 9. As much as we need another true trigger man, I think he could be great with KK or Suzuki who have great shots themselves.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Don’t get people wrong. Ryan Poehling will be an NHL player because he’s a rounded defensive forward. Because of his size and built people in Montreal wanted a franchise center at the time, probably people think he’s a #1 center. He’s actually a perfect #3 center if fully reach potential. I see a Lars Eller type.
He's probably the polar opposite of an Eller.
Poehling has no real high end skills.
He's going to be a grinder , who provides some size in the corners and limited offense. It's exactly what this team needs more of.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

He’s a lot more DLR than he is Eller.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He's going to be a grinder , who provides some size in the corners and limited offense. It's exactly what this team needs more of.

what? lol. Poehling has more raw skills than Eller. Eller was good defensively but has a tunel vision.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
what? lol. Poehling has more raw skills than Eller. Eller was good defensively but has a tunel vision.
Poehling is a better playmaker than Eller. Eller has better hands and slightly better shot. Physically I think they both max out similarly.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Eller's tunnel vision is something imagined by Habs fabs.

The reason that he never passed the puck was that he played with no shot players like Bourque. He passes just fine in Washington.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut

Does everyone seem to forget the World Junior Hockey Championships were he was one of the top scorers, including single handedly bringing back Team USA from 3 goal deficit. He won the top forward award against elite talent.

So no, we don't know if he has real high end skill, some prospects need time in the NHL to figure out the speed of the game.

I would not trade him in a package unless it was for a Laine or another top 6 forward.

Give him time in the AHL to be the #1 center and let's see what he has, I am still very optimistic on his upside, but he needs to put in the work!

Reactions: azcanuck and cphabs

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
According to Bergy, who refuted the rumors of him not being in shape, Poehling didn't play because they did not think he was strong enough physically to impose himself and play the kind of game they want him to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest