Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You think he might have a better shot at hitting .200 than he does scoring 20? :P

What I meant is that it's foolish to say that Poehling will never have offense and therefore it's not important to develop.

Even if he'll be a bottom six player, he'll be much more productive if he can pot 15-20 goals than if he can pot 5-10 goals. So his offense needs to be developed regardless of his ceiling.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
I disagree, you can't compare Poehling vs Pacioretty.

Pacioretty was 19 during his first AHL season and still got 29 pts in 37 gp. In the same season he had 11 pts in 34 gp in the NHL.

Poehlinh was 20 last during his first AHL season and got 13 pts in 36 gp. At this point, he has 5 pts in 28 gp in the NHL.

There's no comparison IMO. At this point, we would be lucky if he turn out into Eller 2.0. Then again, Eller got 57 pts in 70 gp in the AHL (first season in America) at 20.

Pacioretty also turned into a 30-35 goal scorer, something none of us expect from Poehling. The point is more that it takes time with prospects and we can't call him a bust yet. If Poehling becomes a 20-25 goal power forward that plays solid defence we should be really happy.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
From what Rob Ramage (Habs director of player development) said of Poehling to the Athletic

Ryan Poehling: “I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago, and he’s hungry. I said, how was your bubble experience? He said, it would have been nice to play, but it just made me hungry. It made me hungry. I want to be on the ice with the Canadiens next year.”

Reactions: Deebs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
From what Rob Ramage (Habs director of player development) said of Poehling to the Athletic

Ryan Poehling: “I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago, and he’s hungry. I said, how was your bubble experience? He said, it would have been nice to play, but it just made me hungry. It made me hungry. I want to be on the ice with the Canadiens next year.”

Maybe he would have played if he wasn't so hungry for video games and slacking off during the pause.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Depends if he finaly started training or if hes 10 months off still.
Sounds like he’s been training that whole time and the non training thing was fake news.

Maybe he would have played if he wasn't so hungry for video games and slacking off during the pause.
Fake news. Ramage said he’s been training hard, and Poehling is up to 210lbs at 6’2.5” per Grant McCagg.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Oh f*** off Ryan. Maybe you should actually train and not spend most of the time playing video games when you know you could have gotten the chance.

I really don't like this kid's attitude.

Reactions: Tyson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh f*** off Ryan. Maybe you should actually train and not spend most of the time playing video games when you know you could have gotten the chance.

Was it really video games or was it him drinking and boating around like weve seen on his instagram? f***ing college frat kids.

Soured me on these american picks honestly.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I would have rathered him say he wants to get better in x, y, and z area of the game. In the past his been too focused on being in the bright lights of the and less focused on just focusing on getting better. A really good year in Laval could do wonders for him long term. Just ask Mete who was deprived of that crucial development time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sounds like he’s been training that whole time and the non training thing was fake news.

Fake news. Ramage said he’s been training hard, and Poehling is up to 210lbs at 6’2.5” per Grant McCagg.

It's not fake news.. he might be training since the play-in ended, but he didn't when we were on pause until then.. which is the quote I referenced.

Reactions: Vachon23

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Was it really video games or was it him drinking and boating around like weve seen on his instagram? f***ing college frat kids.

I'm pretty positive it was video games. I honestly have no clue why this happened to him. We have only read, heard and seen good things about this kids attitude until last year.

At the very least when Drouin pouted, he torched the QMJHL for years whereas Poehling never improved production wise in college and thought everything was going to be given to him after his WJC and first NHL game.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Did he get taller? Wow big boy. Hope he's working hard and he can put last year behind him. Would be great if he can replace Danault potentially. Would rather not have to pay Danault 4-5 million.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I hope it's true that he took it more seriously this time. I still think that he has potential to become a good NHLer and guy of his size won't hurt us if he can win a spot on the 4th line this year

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually asks to be traded. Seems to be entitled and think what’s happening to him is not fair.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Holy shit same. All these zoomer kids look like preppy douchebags.

They're like the vilains in the Outsiders, they're socs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm pretty positive it was video games. I honestly have no clue why this happened to him. We have only read, heard and seen good things about this kids attitude until last year.

At the very least when Drouin pouted, he torched the QMJHL for years whereas Poehling never improved production wise in college and thought everything was going to be given to him after his WJC and first NHL game.
He posted like 200 stories of him either boating or golfing during the first covid break

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

What's wrong with him saying that? You should be much more concerned if he said he doesn't mind sitting in the pressbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23 and dralaf

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Thought he had a great camp last year before the concussion. Might have tried to rush back to keep his spot and didn't help him. Then, it's obvious he was desapointed and didn't go to Laval with the best attitude. Not playing at the end might have been the slap in the face he needed, let's hope so. Still think he has the tools to be an efficient middle 6 nhler that can play center or left wing with good size, speed and 2way game. I think a less skilled, but faster Lars Eller could be a good comparable... we'll see. Habs will need some cheap contracts to play in the show very soon too!

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad