Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He wasn't spewing bs at all. It was reported that Bergevin said no to moving Poehling as part of a trade for ROR.
Marc Bergevin Confirms What The Sabres Wanted For Ryan O'Reilly.

Still, the overall strategy of getting a bunch of young centers (Poehling, Kk, Suzuki, Domi) and seeing which ones panned out was a better strategy than going for an older vet.

Last time we traded a young prospect for a center it was McDonagh for Gomez. Development isn't linear. Except for can't miss prospects, no one knows exactly what they have in the cupboard.

Reactions: jaffy27

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
im 99% sure that draft pick was #3 overall. Buffalo knew Bergevin was desperate. This was before O’Reilly got the MVP.
ROR was swimming in a sea of mediocrity in Buffalo and tbh he wasn't that impressive as a Sabre. I know someone that is a massive Sabres fan(yes they do exist) and he was glad to see him go, he compared him to Pacioretty's last days here.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I tbink if he can be a younger, cheaper, danault replacement in a few years it would be perfect

Reactions: angusyoung

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I tbink if he can be a younger, cheaper, danault replacement in a few years it would be perfect

They are developping him at the wing.
Hes gonna be one of our top 9 winger in a couple of years. Big, fast, and can score points while being reliable defensively. We dont any wingers like that in our team or prospect pool. The closest thing is Armia, but he isnt fast.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Hes gonna be one of our top 9 winger in a couple of years. Big, fast, and can score points while being reliable defensively. We dont any wingers like that in our team or prospect pool. The closest thing is Armia, but he isnt fast.

I agree with top 9. I just don't see him as a point producer at the level to play in top 6.

What I find concerning is they saw more in Belzile and he didn't get into the lineup. I think next year is critical for his development. They need to have patience with him even if it means another year in the AHL. Nothing wrong with getting major minutes in Laval before making the jump.

Last edited:

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
If he can get his stuff together and come to camp motivated he could be an important winger for this team. Up to him. But this is getting close to the make or break point.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I said all last summer that some posters were over hyping him due to that 1 NHL game and his WJC's. He needs to spend a full year in Laval, find his game first before they even consider calling him up. But knowing this team the first sign he starts putting up some offense they will call him up, he'll play on the 4th line, not do much, end up in the press box, then back in the AHL and fans will say why isn't he producing in the AHL. Unless MB learns from past mistakes, I fear this movie will continue to play out.
I like the guy but he has been over hyped since he was picked. Can still be an asset to the club, or make good trade bait. I remember everyone saying how awesome he will be. That was 3 years ago. We already have 2 centers that made the jump at 2 years. We have holes elsewhere that are now much more pressing. Even if he is eller/Danault good, I would rather shore up our LD using him and a 2nd for a 3-4 dman.

During the playoff I saw people praising and putting down chariot. A decent dman but not enough to move the needle. Mete after 3 season reminds me of gorges, decent but hardly top pairing guy. Rom might be really good, or he comes over and never realizes his potential like emelin. Hard to say. In the meantime we should also be looking at a RD replacement for petry and weber. They played well, but I have no illusions that they will be like this in 2 to 3 years. Need to think about the future.

Reactions: montreal

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
the rumor was #3 overall pick, Poehling and prospect for Oreilly. Bergevin said no.
No the rumour was RP 2nd round and something else. Could have been a 5th rounder or one of our 2nd or 4ths round prospects, we don't know. Seeing we had no center's 2 years ago, it was safer to hang on to him. No risk bargain bin is not going to lose a trade so it wasn't going to happen. Needs came first. Hindsight it may have been a bad move, but we didn't know how kk and Suzuki might have turned out, and still don't.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
People need to relax. Yes, he had a rough year and KK did too.

What do they both have in common?

They both sustained injuries early on in the season, that can be difficult to bounce back from, especially for someone like Poehling who has played 30-40 games per year his whole life.

He just finished his first year as a pro and now he knows what level he needs to be at physically and mentally. If he comes back as the same player next year than yes, we can start worrying. Until then, let's just relax.

Reactions: Walrus26

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I agree with top 9. I just don't see him as a point producer at the level to play in top 6.

What I find concerning is they saw more in Belzile and he didn't get into the lineup. I think next year is critical for his development. They need to have patience with him even if it means another year in the AHL. Nothing wrong with getting major minutes in Laval before making the jump.
They probably saw Belzile as unexciting, hard working and a known quantity on the 4th line. Makes perfect sense that he'd get picked to slot in during a playoff / play in series over the young guy who's known to need a lot of work on his on-ice radar and general pro smarts.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
RP does not have any great qualities/skills to become an NHLer, if he makes the show as a regular it will be as 4th liner, fringe player. He has never had top 6 upside. If he could ever become 1/2 the player Danault is we will be lucky.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
This was out of necessity in the NHL and he plays center in Laval. Every time Bergevin mentions him, he says they see him at center.

He doesnt really have a future at center with the habs. Suzuki and KK are locked at centers, and I cant see Bergevin trading Danault. Poehling is too talented to just be a 4th line center, and we have Evans that can fill that role.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He doesnt really have a future at center with the habs. Suzuki and KK are locked at centers, and I cant see Bergevin trading Danault. Poehling is too talented to just be a 4th line center, and we have Evans that can fill that role.
There is nothing wrong with having an excellent #4 center if Poehling proves he can be one. If and when he's ready to play higher up the lineup he either becomes a good trade asset, or one of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi or Danault can be used as such. Actually, that's a dream scenario for any GM. Pigeonholing him on the wing because we might not be able to fit him into our top-9 as a center is short-sighted and a waste of an asset.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There is nothing wrong with having an excellent #4 center if Poehling proves he can be one. If and when he's ready to play higher up the lineup he either becomes a good trade asset, or one of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi or Danault can be used as such. Actually, that's a dream scenario for any GM. Pigeonholing him on the wing because we might not be able to fit him into our top-9 as a center is short-sighted and a waste of an asset.

Not at all.
Having a center play the wing is not an issue whatsoever.
Plenty of teams do that or have done that: see Stamkos, Giroux, Draisaitl, JT miller, etc.
We literally did that with Suzuki/Domi.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It's probably a moot point at this time as Poehling will spend the season in Laval. The 4th like center spot should be Evans' to lose.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I still have hope in this kid. If we go back to training camp, Poehling was way ahead of KK, and a bit ahead of Suzuki . He had a great training camp. He only played 1 or 2 exhibition games and got injured and suffered a concussion. After that, the wheels fell off the wagon. Don’t throw the towel too quick.

Reactions: De Montreal

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It's probably a moot point at this time as Poehling will spend the season in Laval. The 4th like center spot should be Evans' to lose.
It is a moot point now, but I meant the future. Right now he's Laval-bound for sure.
On the other hand, Kotkaniemi looked like two different players in the span of months. A lot can happen with players at that age.

Reactions: DAChampion

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

What about Joel Teasdale? fast,gritty with a touch.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Poehling will be 3rd line center in Montreal .
Danault will likely be traded before his contract expires .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce