Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I hope Poehling will turn this page quickly. He has a lot of hockey basic stuffs to be taught back there on a regular basis.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He has not been good in Laval and he shouldn't have been called up. But hopefully now he won't pout about being sent down because he isn't ready.

A lesson that a one game sample size doesn't tell the whole story.

Give him extended AHL time and let's stop rushing players. Even worse is that despite not being deserving of a call up, they gave him no minutes and played him on the wing. That's nonsense.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Im still happy they called him up. You score 3 goals in your first game - i dont care if you have the worst training camp in the history of sports - you at least deserve a game 2.

I didnt watch past few games so if they played him only on 4th line thats disappointing but oh well. Hopefully he gives it his all in Laval now and comes back stronger than ever the next time.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
With Kotkaniemi coming back from injury and Thompson having a hell of a season so far, that was to be expected.

Yup. Weal can be the 13th forward and Poehling can play bigger minutes in Laval.

Hopefully he'll deal with the demotion a little better this time...

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He needs more time. As a player he reminds me of Danault. Similar draft position as well 25th vs 26th. Poelhing is in his draft plus 3 year, Danault was in his draft plus 4 year before he made the Nhl (year he was traded) and his draft plus 5 before becoming a regular. Let him develop.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi didn't take a step forward this year (not yet anyways). It's early (not even 25% of the season yet) so we will see. First full seasons as pro for Suzuki and Poehling so lets see what they learn this year and how they work in the off season to prepare for next season.

Lets face it, Does anybody expect their prime years to be from 20/21 - 30? That is usually elite level talent prime years. I think we will start to see real value from them when they are 22-24 range. Kind of like Domi and Drouin.

Poehling has the tools to be a real force once he gets used to the pro game. I think the kid is smart and he will work hard and listen to the advice he is getting from coaches/players. Will take some time though

Suzuki to me is ready now but needs a bit more skating/strength so he can create separate and flash his skills. Look at what he did in the past off season. He's committed to being a impact top of the line-up player!

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I wouldn't of had a problem with him getting the call up for a few games if he was actually given decent ice time, calling him up to play 8-9 minutes a game was a waste.

Would've been nice to reward a guy like Belzile with a few games for his solid pre-season and the excellent job he's done in Laval.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Suzuki has gotten on the #1 PP unit also.......

Clod gonna Clod...
Two totally different players:

Poehling was projected at draft to be a 3C capable of playing a heavy game while being able to keep pace with a potential ceiling of occasional 2B - never had the offensive acumen / skill set to allow for a grade A ceiling projection.

Suzuki was always projected to have high end offensive skill set and overall IQ, concern was always ability to keep pace & size.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe....just Maybe Suzuki has EARNED that.

Exactly. You get opportunity from hard work and you earn it. That's good development. Poehling playing on the 4th line LW to get use to the pro game is not a problem at all. I don't even think he is 100% adjusted to the intensity of the NHL yet. 4 games so far this year so lets see where he is at in game 10. Bet you the coaches are thinking the same thing

Last edited:
Reactions: llamateizer

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Should not have been recalled at all. Even if the goal was to be true to their words that somehow, they told a kid that he was going to be the first call up...how the f*** do you think he feels now....

Reactions: DangerDave

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Kotkaniemi didn't take a step forward this year (not yet anyways). It's early (not even 25% of the season yet) so we will see. First full seasons as pro for Suzuki and Poehling so lets see what they learn this year and how they work in the off season to prepare for next season.

Lets face it, Does anybody expect their prime years to be from 20/21 - 30? That is usually elite level talent prime years. I think we will start to see real value from them when they are 22-24 range. Kind of like Domi and Drouin.

Poehling has the tools to be a real force once he gets used to the pro game. I think the kid is smart and he will work hard and listen to the advice he is getting from coaches/players. Will take some time though

Suzuki to me is ready now but needs a bit more skating/strength so he can create separate and flash his skills. Look at what he did in the past off season. He's committed to being a impact top of the line-up player!
Who ever said from draft year KK, Suzuki or Poehling were elite level talents? They were all projected to be solid-to-good NHL players with potential of long term NHL careers.

Surpassing expectations is a bonus.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't of had a problem with him getting the call up for a few games if he was actually given decent ice time, calling him up to play 8-9 minutes a game was a waste.

Would've been nice to reward a guy like Belzile with a few games for his solid pre-season and the excellent job he's done in Laval.

There are some advantages to being around the big club and working with their system in practice. We tried him at 3C from the get go and then we had to move him to 4th line. He's got learning and adapting to go through and it's on him to earn the coaches trust for a bigger role. Give him time before we send him back down or promote him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Should not have been recalled at all. Even if the goal was to be true to their words that somehow, they told a kid that he was going to be the first call up...how the **** do you think he feels now....

I think he is fine with playing 4th line, being around the big club with our vets, making a NHL salary, and learning how to adjust to the pro game. He knows he has to earn his spot and he is far from being a selfish player.

I think we need to give him a few more games before we pretend to know what's best for him as fans. He is in good hands with our coaches and vets on our team.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I'm all for bashing Julien for every move he makes but he's trying to win games and gave the kid a chance to play (over Weal) and Poehling did ok, no more. The only other spot that he could have played him was 3rd line Center over Suzuki and Julien would have been critized or 2nd line winger instead of Byron, an assistant captain and leader. HF would have loved that but maybe not the players themselves.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who ever said from draft year KK, Suzuki or Poehling were elite level talents? They were all projected to be solid-to-good NHL players with potential of long term NHL careers.

Surpassing expectations is a bonus.

You can only speak for yourself. There has been lots of things said about these 3 kids pre NHL and after they turned pro. Surpassing expectations? Don't you realize the expectations were different from fan to fan? I would say Suzuki is surpassing my expectations cause I didn't think he was physically strong enough for the NHL at 20. Kotkaniemi is not surpassing my expectations in his 2nd year even it he is still only 19. I believe in the kid's ability but not going to pretend to know how hungry he is to improve. I's say Poehling is on par to my personal expectation

They could be elite level talent or top 6 talent. We don't know yet but usually elite level talent shows when you are 19/20/21 ish. Not all players break out at the same point. Probability to me based on what I have seen so far says that we will know who they are once they are in the 22-24 age range. Similar to Domi and Drouin.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Putting him with 4th line players, was doomed to fail. The Habs love to kill a guys confidence.
That is not an excuse, these are above decent 4th line players, and suzuki shined with them. SO sorry i love ryan and think he will become a star, but he showed he aint ready yet

Reactions: Gravity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad