Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Am I the only one who still firmly believes in Poehling? I'm not the least bit worried about him. I still think he will become a great middle-six C. Just need to be patient with him.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Am I the only one who still firmly believes in Poehling? I'm not the least bit worried about him. I still think he will become a great middle-six C. Just need to be patient with him.
Same. Great debut then a great play in the preseason then concussion and then in and out/up and down of the line up and Laval then Covid. I don’t know about the rumors about his conditioning but he looked ok in preseason, maybe showed up like shit at the restart but many players have come in unfit but got a pass cause they’re vets.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never saw him as an impact player. His college production was mediocre. people said his linemates were not good. He doesnt have any elite skills. His hockey sense is not that great. He's a big kid who is good in many areas. His size and strength will help him become a decent third line winger in the league. Second line is his max. We'll see I'm not giving up but was never high on him.

I considered him a middle 6 forward all along. Never thought he'd be an offensive type but he is a big body that skates well which we lack. Habs need to figure out a way to get this mixed in much better than what we have right now. You want to go on deep playoff runs? We won't do that with soft wingers all over the place.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MB said he expects RP to earn a spot with the big club next year.

I say, let him get another full year of development in Laval. What the heck is the rush???

We'll find out what kind of player he is in time. In the meantime, just let him develop his game.

Bergevin wants the players to prove them wrong and make it (agree with it or not). I think we need to let the kids go down their own development path. Saying Poehling should play NHL or AHL next year is overlooking what they can do in the off season and how they look to start the year next year.

I agree... it's tracking like he should play another AHL season but it's up to him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The key for Poehling will be the following

• Don't pout about not getting ice-time and be real with yourself about your new reality. You are one guy amongst many, all of which are talented and strong. Motivation, dedication and being humble will be important ingredients to making sure you earn your sport.
  • Train in the off-season seriously. Work extensively on mental processing speeds, puck control, and shooting.
  • Listen to the coaches and the development staff.
  • The Montreal Canadiens development team must ensure that he isn't called up at the first sight of production in the AHL. Keep him there until he is head and shoulders above his teammates and his competition for a long period of time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bergevin wants the players to prove them wrong and make it (agree with it or not). I think we need to let the kids go down their own development path. Saying Poehling should play NHL or AHL next year is overlooking what they can do in the off season and how they look to start the year next year.

I agree... it's tracking like he should play another AHL season but it's up to him.

Yeah, I know what both you and MB are saying. MB saying he expects RP to come to camp ready, have a good camp, and earn a spot is a vote of confidence for RP. It's saying get to work on your preparation and you'll get your spot if you do the proper preparation.

I just don't want another Mete situation where he spends too much time in the NHL early and loses his eligibility to go to Laval for needed development time.

Poehling needs to be focused on developing his skill set and overall skill set and not on getting the immediate ego rush from being in the limelight short term.

Last edited:
Reactions: MasterD

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'm not a "firm believer", but I do see some positives with him. He skates well, big body, goes to the net... I'm not sure about his skills though, I think he'll top out as a 3rd line power forward winger, but he's definitely a piece of what this team has needed for decades. Fast skating big bodies that can play hockey.

Reactions: DangerDave

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
RP loi doks like he is fat. He has a double chin at 21, wtf? Get your shit together kid, frat life has ended.
I don't see the double chin, but i gotta say i'm a bit disappointed in him when it comes to fitness. To me it screamed a hard working guy in the gym, looking to get better everyday. The 100 days without doing anything because he wanted to get his head straight realy turned me off big f***ing time. Does he think he's a vet or something? You might be able to take a huge off season when you're a final product. not when you're still developping.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see the double chin, but i gotta say i'm a bit disappointed in him when it comes to fitness. To me it screamed a hard working guy in the gym, looking to get better everyday. The 100 days without doing anything because he wanted to get his head straight realy turned me off big f***ing time. Does he think he's a vet or something? You might be able to take a huge off season when you're a final product. not when you're still developping.

Lol what? did he really take 100 days off?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I never really understood the hype around Poehling. That being said, I recall a shift where he was out there with Suzuki and KK for whatever reason earlier this year. The 3 absolutely dominated and spent over 2 minutes in the opponent's end while generating a bunch of quality chances.

Poehling will not be a center in Montreal but he should absolutely be given a shot on Suzuki and KK flank. We're in need of a big, fast and decently skilled winger. For all we know, Poehling may be able to fill that role. We should try it before making a move for someone like Anderson.

I've heard he has attitude issues but I'm sure he'd be pretty thrilled at the opportunity to play with those 2.

Reactions: azcanuck

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Yeah, I know what both you and MB are saying. MB saying he expects RP to come to camp ready, have a good camp, and earn a spot is a vote of confidence for RP. It's saying get to work on your preparation and you'll get your spot if you do the proper preparation.

I just don't want another Mete situation where he spends too much time in the NHL early and loses his eligibility to go to Laval for needed development time.

Poehling needs to be focused on developing his skill set and overall skill set and not on getting the immediate ego rush from being in the limelight short term.

Both Mete and KK had something in common when they came at camp: There was a dire need for a C or a D at that time. In the case of RP I'm not worried anymore that they will rush him because I think our centre line is locked with Suzuki-KK-Danault and likely Evans. Unless they want RP as a winger now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Both Mete and KK had something in common when they came at camp: There was a dire need for a C or a D at that time. In the case of RP I'm not worried anymore that they will rush him because I think our centre line is locked with Suzuki-KK-Danault and likely Evans. Unless they want RP as a winger now.

yeah I agree. But that's also what worries me. We have an open spot at 4th line wing, as it stands now.

This management prioritizes having the best 12 forwards on the ice to win now over player development. KK said he prefered playing in the AHL at the time he was demoted. Mete initially said he was disappointed to go down, then couldn't stop raving about how much he learned when he went down. Pacioretty said he'd rather be in the top 6 in the AHL than 4th line in the NHL. Poehling is not like these players. He wants to be in the big show right now. He's fine with starting on the 4th line because he thinks he can work his way up the lineup.

I'd rather him hone his craft in the AHL playing 18 minutes a night. I see the worst case scenario of him being in the NHL is him getting way too many concussions way too early, like Latendresse. Like Latendresse, he often has his head down and is getting rocked consistently...

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Lol what? did he really take 100 days off?

Yeah it's wierd i can't find the video... looks like it was removed or something, i think it was an interview regarding phase 1-2 and was asked what he did to get prepared during the quarantine and said he didn't do much the last 100 days. he relaxed in order to get his head straight, something along those line.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah it's wierd i can't find the video... looks like it was removed or something, i think it was an interview regarding phase 1-2 and was asked what he did to get prepared during the quarantine and said he didn't do much the last 100 days. he relaxed in order to get his head straight, something along those line.

Lol wtf? What a f***ing bum.

Homie needs some sisu.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol wtf? What a f***ing bum.

Homie needs some sisu.
Cant believe this. Now I get why he didnt play. Sounds like Benoit Pouliot and Louis Leblanc all over again.

If hes that lazy thats on Timmins, I rarely blame him for the poor record but he has to see those things. Bad interview skills.

Then again, RP could be in a bad place mentally and I cant blame him. Lets hope its the latter and he comes back as a complete physical beast because hed look great either as a Danault replacement or on the wing.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Cant believe this. Now I get why he didnt play. Sounds like Benoit Pouliot and Louis Leblanc all over again.

If hes that lazy thats on Timmins, I rarely blame him for the poor record but he has to see those things. Bad interview skills.

Then again, RP could be in a bad place mentally and I cant blame him. Lets hope its the latter and he comes back as a complete physical beast because hed look great either as a Danault replacement or on the wing.

It's unbelievable. Are we sure it's true?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He said it himself. I think its pretty much real.

Q8XJCFV.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad