Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The jump from prospect to pro is less about skill and more about drive & work ethic...

If he came into camp anything less than top shape, that's a huge red flag, and if I were management, id be looking to trade him this offseason while his prospect glow is still bright.

He doesn't have the elite skill or lottery pick pedigree to retain value multiple years post draft without pro success... And if he's not hungry enough to put in the work to maximize his opportunity now, odds aren't great that changes until his career flatlines, if at all.

If he was in great shape, or had a legit reason (injury, family trauma) to explain not showing up physically ready, then by all means he deserves more patience

Reactions: Doc McKenna

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't think the lukewarm reception to Poehling's rookie year should be read as fickle fans turning on a guy, to me it just demonstrates that the expectations going into this year were always patently absurd. The fact he was rated the #1 prospect is just ridiculous, and that isn't just hindsight. Going off just what we knew at the time there's no way he should have been rated higher than Suzuki after he had like 40 points in the OHL playoffs, Primeau after winning the NCAA Vezina, or Caufield after scoring 72 goals. It was all based on a handful of games at the WJC and one NHL game.

I just don't understand why the hype on him went so completely out of hand to the point he was projected as another ROR type or another Plekanec after last year. When I compared him to Eller last summer people took that as an insult for some reason, as if it's insulting for a 25th overall pick to be compared to a guy who was a key piece as a two way 3C on a cup team and stepped up to the 2nd line during the Capitals run when Backstrom got hurt. A couple good games at the WJC and one hot game in the NHL just had the projections go completely out of hand.

He's a good skater with a good frame and pro-ready physical play, great passer, and good net front guy. He plays with pace and "jam" however we want to define that. He had some growing pains with a concussion this year but basically nothing has changed in my projection of him, good 3C/middle six winger and I really struggle to see why the projection was ever anything else.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's only his 1st pro season so we have to be careful. If he has another similar year next year, then we can start to pin him down a bit more accurately. You are probably pessimistic on Brook too. I would be careful with trying to be an expert after one pro year. We need a larger sample size.

MB said he expects RP to earn a spot with the big club next year.

I say, let him get another full year of development in Laval. What the heck is the rush???

We'll find out what kind of player he is in time. In the meantime, just let him develop his game.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Is this like one of those Facebook posts where someone goes on about how upset they are but don’t say what they are upset about?

Nope i wrote it in the last GDT.

My friend has a contact into organisation. Told me last month that the organisation is really disappointed and mad at Poehling for is commitement and attitude since his Pro debut. And he came at camp post Covid in bad shape. And he LOVES gaming.

Always took it with grain of salt when he told me. But post playoffs, i believe him now.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Nope i wrote it in the last GDT.

My friend has a contact into organisation. Told me last month that the organisation is really disappointed and mad at Poehling for is commitement and attitude since his Pro debut. And he came at camp post Covid in bad shape. And he LOVES gaming.

Always took it with grain of salt when he told me. But post playoffs, i believe him now.
Well Poehling is a beast in the gym and in great shape, so I don’t believe your friend.

Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Now that we've all seen what KK and Suzuki have in their repertoire.. it speaks to just how lofty the expectations were for Poehling to believe he could be a 2C.

He needs to come into camp better prepared to hit his potential of an Eller style center.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Now that we've all seen what KK and Suzuki have in their repertoire.. it speaks to just how lofty the expectations were for Poehling to believe he could be a 2C.

He needs to come into camp better prepared to hit his potential of an Eller style center.
tbh my ceiling for him was never above as the third line. Im not even sure if he will be a center also.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
MB said he expects RP to earn a spot with the big club next year.

I say, let him get another full year of development in Laval. What the heck is the rush???

We'll find out what kind of player he is in time. In the meantime, just let him develop his game.

Poehling is ready, he just won't be that top line center everyone is dreaming of. He'll be a 3rd line center. Better than Jake Evan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I said all last summer that some posters were over hyping him due to that 1 NHL game and his WJC's. He needs to spend a full year in Laval, find his game first before they even consider calling him up. But knowing this team the first sign he starts putting up some offense they will call him up, he'll play on the 4th line, not do much, end up in the press box, then back in the AHL and fans will say why isn't he producing in the AHL. Unless MB learns from past mistakes, I fear this movie will continue to play out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling is ready, he just won't be that top line center everyone is dreaming of. He'll be a 3rd line center. Better than Jake Evan.

I saw nothing in his puck skills and awareness of the game around him that told me he's ready for the NHL or that he'll ever be a center in the NHL.

I saw a lot of qualities that could make him as high as a top 6 power forward. But there's plenty of time. I'm more interested in what kind of player he is at 23, 24, and 25 than 21 and 22.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's not over yet. He has to leave his bubble fantasy. He's still an unproven player. He gotta be in shape mentally and physically as soon as possible.

Move on and turn that page once for all.

The spots are tight. It's a race against time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well Drouin was lights out in the Q so I kinda get him being upset. Domi hasn't really shown a bad attitude.

Theres a lot of red flags about them and their attitude across their entire careers. Any sort of background checks on them wouldnt have them as being guys with good attitudes.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Theres a lot of red flags about them and their attitude across their entire careers. Any sort of background checks on them wouldnt have them as being guys with good attitudes.
I've read many articles and stories about how Drouin always goes above and beyond to work on his game, never leaves the ice in practice, always wants to do more...etc. The only "attitude" concern was him pouting about not getting a chance with Cooper. He shouldn't have done that, but he did come off completely dominating the QMJHL.

People here got their panties in a bunch because of a joke Domi said about Montreal when he was in Arizona, which was obviously intended to tease his friend Duclair. He's been extremely vocal about how much he loves it here and doesn't want to play anywhere else, is always involved in the community..etc. I have only heard and read good things about Domi until this year. I have no clue how truthful that "he won't play wing" statement is, there is no definitive proof.

So I don't see "a lot of red flags" for those two.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think the lukewarm reception to Poehling's rookie year should be read as fickle fans turning on a guy, to me it just demonstrates that the expectations going into this year were always patently absurd. The fact he was rated the #1 prospect is just ridiculous, and that isn't just hindsight. Going off just what we knew at the time there's no way he should have been rated higher than Suzuki after he had like 40 points in the OHL playoffs, Primeau after winning the NCAA Vezina, or Caufield after scoring 72 goals. It was all based on a handful of games at the WJC and one NHL game.

I just don't understand why the hype on him went so completely out of hand to the point he was projected as another ROR type or another Plekanec after last year. When I compared him to Eller last summer people took that as an insult for some reason, as if it's insulting for a 25th overall pick to be compared to a guy who was a key piece as a two way 3C on a cup team and stepped up to the 2nd line during the Capitals run when Backstrom got hurt. A couple good games at the WJC and one hot game in the NHL just had the projections go completely out of hand.

He's a good skater with a good frame and pro-ready physical play, great passer, and good net front guy. He plays with pace and "jam" however we want to define that. He had some growing pains with a concussion this year but basically nothing has changed in my projection of him, good 3C/middle six winger and I really struggle to see why the projection was ever anything else.

For sure. Though I think your projection is spot on, I'm actually somewhere in between the crazy optimists and your assessment. I think he might have a bit more than what you're saying but the attitude/character rumours are a bit worrying. I think he could be a minor star but I know that's probably stretching his limits. Despite him not really increasing his production in the NCAA, I really liked how he was starting to make some fairly skilled plays at high speeds.

I'm also getting minor bust vibes though too. I'm all over the place with him. Real wild card for me.

I've read many articles and stories about how Drouin always goes above and beyond to work on his game, never leaves the ice in practice, always wants to do more...etc. The only "attitude" concern was him pouting about not getting a chance with Cooper. He shouldn't have done that, but he did come off completely dominating the QMJHL.

People here got their panties in a bunch because of a joke Domi said about Montreal when he was in Arizona, which was obviously intended to tease his friend Duclair. He's been extremely vocal about how much he loves it here and doesn't want to play anywhere else, is always involved in the community..etc. I have only heard and read good things about Domi until this year. I have no clue how truthful that "he won't play wing" statement is, there is no definitive proof.

So I don't see "a lot of red flags" for those two.

From at the least the last year or two, my only problems are the bad decisions and consistency. I'm really not seeing the attitude and the lack of trying stuff that he gets painted with a lot. I think he ultimately could've been better in the playoffs as a whole, he was far from bad and was pretty damn lights out in the two elimination games. I want to see a full year of him with Suzuki.

Never heard about the Domi stuff. I've got a feeling he gets traded which I'm split about. Obviously depends on the return.

Kind of off topic post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad