Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling has lots of flaws in his game. It will be hard for him to be a third line player at NHL level. Could end up being just a 4th liner. His mental approach to the pro game is not there yet. One more full season in Laval is required.

It's only his 1st pro season so we have to be careful. If he has another similar year next year, then we can start to pin him down a bit more accurately. You are probably pessimistic on Brook too. I would be careful with trying to be an expert after one pro year. We need a larger sample size.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Do we know if Poehling came into camp in shape? I recall some talking head tweeting he didn’t perform all that well on their fitness tests

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The best moment to trade Poehling is probably now. (When trade market will open). I don’t know how much high his value is, but if he struggling the next season again, his value will go down very quickly. I would try to trade him to Minnesota for a package including brodin

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Why do have to trade a player whose value is very low ? Can you get something better than Poehling at 5 round or lower ? Since you have nothing to loose, try him. He is not or yet a top 6 but he and Evans can be a very good pair for 4nd line or 3rd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People are so quick to give up on prospects here..

We went through a rough stretch from 08-15 so some think that will repeat itself. Poehling may or may not be a impact player for us. We like to talk hockey and futures so just a normal day in Habs land.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We went through a rough stretch from 08-15 so some think that will repeat itself. Poehling may or may not be a impact player for us. We like to talk hockey and futures so just a normal day in Habs land.
I never saw him as an impact player. His college production was mediocre. people said his linemates were not good. He doesnt have any elite skills. His hockey sense is not that great. He's a big kid who is good in many areas. His size and strength will help him become a decent third line winger in the league. Second line is his max. We'll see I'm not giving up but was never high on him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I never saw him as an impact player. His college production was mediocre. people said his linemates were not good. He doesnt have any elite skills. His hockey sense is not that great. He's a big kid who is good in many areas. His size and strength will help him become a decent third line winger in the league. Second line is his max. We'll see I'm not giving up but was never high on him.

he's never been given time as a top 6 winger. I understand he's got to earn it. But I think that might be his niche - going to the net, screening the goalie. He's got the speed and the size. And he has more skill than a guy like Chad Kilger.

I'm just looking forward to the time when he finally gets time in the top 6 on the wing. Until I see what he does there, I'm not making an predictions about his career either way.

Reactions: azcanuck

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I hope Poehling will have a wake up call if he indeed came to camp out of shape. Watching the work a younger guy like KK put in and how that work paid off one the ice must've light a fire in him I hope. I still think he'll be converted into a winger though, hopefully he can end up taking Tatar's spot on a second line by the trade deadline next year, but that would be asking a lot from him

Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I hope Poehling will have a wake up call if he indeed came to camp out of shape. Watching the work a younger guy like KK put in and how that work paid off one the ice must've light a fire in him I hope. I still think he'll be converted into a winger though, hopefully he can end up taking Tatar's spot on a second line by the trade deadline next year, but that would be asking a lot from him
Cant say i share your hope, i dont want him to take tatar's position, i hope for an upgrade at wing into an established player who will do that.

FLHabs

Feb 18, 2017
Cant say i share your hope, i dont want him to take tatar's position, i hope for an upgrade at wing into an established player who will do that.
Off course if Bergy can pick up an establish winger that would be best, but if Tatar is still there and Poehling somehow manages to push him out, meaning he's playing well, his size and speed would be a welcome addition in the top 6 if they were to make the playoffs. It's all about the size and speed when it comes to Poehling for me, if he can open up the ice and win battles along the boards while still being able to keep up offensively, I'm fine with that next to KK

Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Off course if Bergy can pick up an establish winger that would be best, but if Tatar is still there and Poehling somehow manages to push him out, meaning he's playing well, his size and speed would be a welcome addition in the top 6 if they were to make the playoffs. It's all about the size and speed when it comes to Poehling for me, if he can open up the ice and win battles along the boards while still being able to keep up offensively, I'm fine with that next to KK
i understand what you saying but to go far in the playoff, i wish that same player is on 4th line and we have a scorer on the 2nd.

FLHabs

Feb 18, 2017
i understand what you saying but to go far in the playoff, i wish that same player is on 4th line and we have a scorer on the 2nd.
True, but maybe KK can become that scorer. If he keeps improving his shot which is already very good, I think he can hit 30 if not more

Reactions: jaffy27 and tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
True, but maybe KK can become that scorer. If he keeps improving his shot which is already very good, I think he can hit 30 if not more
i agree on that, i think he is gifted close to the net as well, and with his size and more confidence/experience he can become a consistent scorer also

Reactions: jaffy27 and FLHabs

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Poehling should be inspired by Suzuki and KK.....I’m not worried for him at all, too many good things going for him.

He’s got great speed and has size, think it’ll just take a few more years for him to get it all together.

I see him as a Mike Foligno type, gotta stay patient

Reactions: FLHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad