Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Absolutely every habs fan, regardless of where they fell on draft day, should be Ryan Poehling's number 1 superfan. Same thing with Kotkaniemi. If both of these guys achieve their potential, the game changes for this franchise. If Poehling can put us into a position where Danault becomes expendable, I'm not sure many habs fans realize what a powerful position that would be, because we haven't experienced that as a franchise. The closest thing was the Halak/Price situation.

Imagine, if you will, teams lining up to pay a premium for one of our players. Imagine what that can get us when we're getting paid to trade a player, rather than the other way around. If Poehling turns into a 1b/2a kinda guy, we could all of a sudden be in a situation where we have a 1a/1b/1b(2a) down the middle, and we're trading up in value to complement them because Danault is a 2 W A Y C E N T E R.

This is why position matters when drafting. The positions don't have the same value on the market. You can either be on the right side of that, or the wrong side.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I am starting to think you don't understand English well . As I fail to say I am dreaming . Based on your consistant glass bare replies you should lead a pretty dark life. Well you know what, don't hope don't dream stay in the doom and gloom you see. Good for you . Enjoy it.
I will enjoy last nights performance and see what the future hold . But again you regardless of outcome he is no way in the same position that bulls was
wtf you're talking about ?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Deslaurier got a contract from some lucky pucks going in. Without him this year they probably get the 1-2 points to make playoffs and keep De La Rose. Have to hope that Poehling just plays better away from St Cloud and it's not just lucky bounces in a game neither team cares about.

The leafs have had nothing to play for for weeks. We'll see if they were bad or unmotivated in the series. We'll see next year if Poehling can play against teams with a defence.

The habs need some D. It showed in the Washington game, the habs would get contested chances the caps would get clear shots with passing opportunities. Have to hope whatever is bugging Weber can be fixed and that someone steps up to play with him. There are 5 or so 6th D on the team plus Weber and Petry. Most are young, have to hope one of them takes a serious step this summer.

Thompson and Weal may be good but the team stunk after they were acquired. The 4th line was generally a liability prior so maybe the problem was playing Kulak and Folin over Reilly? Or Drouin falling off a cliff but still getting ice time? Or Kotkaniemi getting tired? CJ tightening up as he, like MT, prefers to lose 2-1 than to win 5-4?

I don't see what will fix the team next year. Poehling may help but the other prospects are at least a year away and there is no one in the system or easily available who is likely to significantly improve the LD.

Way better year than I expected, though. I expected a 22nd place finish or so playing boring low scoring hockey while MB gave up good players for bad. It sucks that they will pick after teams in the playoffs after the first round.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Absolutely every habs fan, regardless of where they fell on draft day, should be Ryan Poehling's number 1 superfan. Same thing with Kotkaniemi. If both of these guys achieve their potential, the game changes for this franchise. If Poehling can put us into a position where Danault becomes expendable, I'm not sure many habs fans realize what a powerful position that would be, because we haven't experienced that as a franchise. The closest thing was the Halak/Price situation.

Imagine, if you will, teams lining up to pay a premium for one of our players. Imagine what that can get us when we're getting paid to trade a player, rather than the other way around. If Poehling turns into a 1b/2a kinda guy, we could all of a sudden be in a situation where we have a 1a/1b/1b(2a) down the middle, and we're trading up in value to complement them because Danault is a 2 W A Y C E N T E R.

This is why position matters when drafting. The positions don't have the same value on the market. You can either be on the right side of that, or the wrong side.

The question becomes.. can the organization help themselves and actually be willing to trade Danault? Or do they solve the problem the same way they've done it with lesser players in the past? Throw one of the promising Cs on the wing.

Reactions: Milhouse40

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Imagine going to sleep before your first nhl game and dreaming of a game like that.
Magic. Pure Magic.
First thing I said to my wife this AM when we got up, I wonder if Poehling is asleep yet. How exciting for the kid.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
But i was told the guy didn’t had a NHL shot and couldn’t score in NCAA!? :sarcasm:

Happy to see him do well. But we have to temper our expectations. Lets not put to much pressure on the kid!

A lot of hot takes on the kid we’re off. He has a pretty good NHL shot already, and he can really fly out there.

Expectations need to be kept in check, but I still feel like this kid is going to be an excellent 2C for us.

Reactions: Born in 1909

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The question becomes.. can the organization help themselves and actually be willing to trade Danault? Or do they solve the problem the same way they've done it with lesser players in the past? Throw one of the promising Cs on the wing.

At some points a decision has to be made....and this is why i keep saying that Bergevin is in a good position to make some good trades.

Don't waste Poehling on the 4th line an entire year....and probably same can be said about Suzuki.

If those two make the team next year, Bergevin can let go of some quality roster player and fix some of those holes.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At some points a decision has to be made....and this is why i keep saying that Bergevin is in a good position to make some good trades.

Don't waste Poehling on the 4th line an entire year....and probably same can be said about Suzuki.

If those two make the team next year, Bergevin can let go of some quality roster player and fix some of those holes.

I have no problem going into next year with the same center line as last night.. but if KK takes the step forward and Poehling plays at a good level (he's not gonna consistently have nights like that, obviously).. that's when you have to have planned for the contingency, and no contingency should be either of them playing LW.

So they have to determine, do they want to run: Domi-KK-Poehling-Weal(for example).. or do they want to run Danault-KK-Poehling-Weal

My preference is for option one, because Domi is obviously the better offensive talent.. but they need to choose, do we move Domi to the wing or do we start looking at C starved teams.

Like would anyone be super upset if we moved Danault for say.. Brodin from the Wild?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
But i was told the guy didn’t had a NHL shot and couldn’t score in NCAA!? :sarcasm:

Happy to see him do well. But we have to temper our expectations. Lets not put to much pressure on the kid!
Same thing about Brady Tkachuk and his 8 goals last year.

Reactions: Hannibal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It would be good to trade wingers for dmen, since no dnen are avaible in the ufa market and a ton of wingers are. But, we may have to wait until the middle of the season to do so - when a team with a deep dcore, but can't score, wants to trade a d for offensive wingers. Does management have the balls to load up on quality ufa wingers keep Poehlong, Suzuki, and Kk in Laval until a trade of veteran wingers for a goid top 4 left D is made, and then bring them back up?

Alternatively, Suzuki could be traded for a good 22 year and younger left d, kind of like the Drouin-Sergachev or Seth Jones- Johansson swap. I don't think Drouin, Byron, Shaw, or even Tatar get us a good top 4 left D right now. Maybe in the middle of the season, or in the summer after a team jisses out in the ufa market.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
That was an unreal debut.

The kid has the knack to be in the right place at the right time... and he can finish.

Can't teach that.

With another wave of picks coming in this 2019 draft, the future looks promising, indeed.

Reactions: Redux91 and cphabs

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I have no problem going into next year with the same center line as last night.. but if KK takes the step forward and Poehling plays at a good level (he's not gonna consistently have nights like that, obviously).. that's when you have to have planned for the contingency, and no contingency should be either of them playing LW.

So they have to determine, do they want to run: Domi-KK-Poehling-Weal(for example).. or do they want to run Danault-KK-Poehling-Weal

My preference is for option one, because Domi is obviously the better offensive talent.. but they need to choose, do we move Domi to the wing or do we start looking at C starved teams.

Like would anyone be super upset if we moved Danault for say.. Brodin from the Wild?

I’m not a fan of Brodin, also not a fan of trading Danault (yet).

I think the temporary solution may just be to move Domi to the wing, but I question if he’ll be as productive there.

Reactions: brakeyawself

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

This is a pretty big deal, IMO. The biggest question in this whole maneuver will be the amount of opportunity that KK and RP get. Already we've heard the narrative that Danault plays muh tuff minutz as an excuse for why RP and KK shouldn't get good wingers. At the same time people talk about Danault's offence, without realizing that maybe always having our best wingers has something to do with his offence.

If Julien isn't careful, we could end up getting Wild Billed. What you gain when you give young players opportunities for which they may or may not be ready is information. Simply put, Columbus didn't know which of Bill and Wennberg was the better player, and they paid for that big time. The only explanation I can find for his jump in production is QoT. I think there's a good chance RP can do more with Tatar and Gallagher than Danault, and I'm certain KK can. Will we ever get the chance to test that theory?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
YES
4696629E-E984-4119-91AB-348579497F48.jpeg

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What a debut! That was a once in a lifetime type of debut for us habs fans, likely something we will never see again. Really like Poehling, and am so happy for him. He was literally the reason I joined this board again after seeing him being trashed after we drafted him. He was always a target for me in that draft, and we are very lucky he fell to us. I think now people can see his #2C upside. His shot and production were never real concerns, he's going to be a heck of a player for us.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
People need to get it through their heads, that we aren't trading anyone or moving anyone. If Kotkaniemi and Poehling fulfill their potential, we can still keep Danault and Domi at center. Danault will always have a roll for us as he is our best faceoff C, and best defensive C. Even if he's on the 4th line playing with the likes of Byron and Shaw, that is fine. We are a team that is going to have tremendous depth up front and that is a good thing.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Im starting to think the system in St-Cloud wasnt much suited for Poehling who looks at his best when the pace is high like we could see with team USA at the WJC... St-Cloud was a structured defensive minded team but wasnt playing with much pace from the games Ive seen, also playing with his brothers who arent very skilled probably didnt help either... This kid will be great and I was wrong about him having to spend some time in the AHL next year, with a strong summer, he shouldnt have much trouble to crack our line-up and work his way playing an important role... A young and less physical Ryan Kesler is probably my best comparison at this point...

I always compared him to Derek Stepan, and to add at my comparison, he does the same thing in his 1st game then Stepan, a Hat trick !

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
People need to get it through their heads, that we aren't trading anyone or moving anyone. If Kotkaniemi and Poehling fulfill their potential, we can still keep Danault and Domi at center. Danault will always have a roll for us as he is our best faceoff C, and best defensive C. Even if he's on the 4th line playing with the likes of Byron and Shaw, that is fine. We are a team that is going to have tremendous depth up front and that is a good thing.

Exactly ! He is just at 3m and Poehling and KK are on the ELC so they cost nothing. It’s not hurting our cap space having Danault at 4th C. He will have the 1st PK and will have all the defensive mission so he will see ice

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It sucks that they will pick after teams in the playoffs after the first round.

No. Regardless of point total in the regular season, non-playoff teams pick ahead of all playoff teams, unless a non-playoff team (ahem....Ottawa) traded their pick to a playoff team (Colorado)

Reactions: L4br3cqu3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad