Value of: Ryan O'Reilly to the Winnipeg Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
That's a much better package than what STL gave up. Here's what an equivalent package from WPG would look like based on what the Blues originally gave up. Now obviously that's not to say that ROR's value is actually that, he'd probably get a better return close to the one you posted....

1st, 2nd, Applteton, Perrault, Kulikov

Sobotka and Berglund were negative value cap dumps like Perrault and Kuly. Thompson is closer to Appleton level prospect than Niku.

It's not a minimal upgrade, idk why some Jet fans keep saying this. I might agree that is might not be worth what you'd have to give up but slotting in RoR over Bryan Little as your 2nd line center is one of those moves that could put you over the top or keep you from reaching the summit of Lord Stanley.

No way Kulikov or Perreault have negative value with the way they've been playing lately. Kulikov in particular looks to be back to pre-injury form
My proposal was a tongue in check in response to one poster who claimed the Blues got O'Reilly basically for free.

Little and Berglund are comparable. Both players 30+. Former 1st round picks from 2006 NHL with similar career numbers. Not very favorable contracts long term.
Roslovic and Sobotka aren't really that close as comparable considering draft pedigree. Only from the standpoint that they were/are underperforming players.
Niku and Thompson are comparable with Thompson being one of the Blues best prospects at the time of the trade and a recent former 1st round pick.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
My proposal was a tongue in check in response to one poster who claimed the Blues got O'Reilly basically for free.

Little and Berglund are comparable. Both players 30+. Former 1st round picks from 2006 NHL with similar career numbers. Not very favorable contracts long term.
Roslovic and Sobotka aren't really that close as comparable considering draft pedigree. Only from the standpoint that they were/are underperforming players.
Niku and Thompson are comparable with Thompson being one of the Blues best prospects at the time of the trade and a recent former 1st round pick.
Little and Berglund are comparable? Lol what? Ones a 2nd line C on one of the top teams in the leauge. The other is suspended for failing to report and hasn't cracked 40 pts since 2010-11, cracking 50pts once in his careeer...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Little and Berglund are comparable? Lol what? Ones a 2nd line C on one of the top teams in the leauge. The other is suspended for failing to report and hasn't cracked 40 pts since 2010-11, cracking 50pts once in his careeer...
While it's a pretty weird comparison, I don't think many teams are interested in picking up Little's contract. He's still a decent player, much better than Berglund, but I don't think that contract ages well.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The Sabres just had to have Sobotka and the Big Swede.

Let's not forget that da Blues paid a multi-million $ bonus that the Sabres didn't want to pay. No one else in the league was willing either. Da Blues would want that money back also.

Sorry but not happening in the blue light special sale.

This had nothing to do about the Sabres ownership not wanting to pay O’Reilly. Terry Pegula is the farthest thing from a cheapskate you can find.

And, trading away a #1 center for basic peanuts after saying there needs to be a culture change in the locker room.

All we can do is speculate but how often does someone with O’Reilly’s physical talents get traded?

Twice by the age of 27?

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
This had nothing to do about the Sabres ownership not wanting to pay O’Reilly. Terry Pegula is the farthest thing from a cheapskate you can find.

And, trading away a #1 center for basic peanuts after saying there needs to be a culture change in the locker room.

All we can do is speculate but how often does someone with O’Reilly’s physical talents get traded?

Twice by the age of 27?
The press made a big deal of the $3 to 5M, whatever it was. Whether it was culture or the money they gave up on him. Appears they were wrong and he took the fall for the season. Time will tell.

Heck, we keep taking Perron back and he's no slouch but he takes poor penalties and some lapses. At $4M he'll earn his money as far as I';m concerned.

Buffalo needed competent, warm bodies on their third line because they lacked bottom six journeyman and that is what has panned out unfortunately.

Just can't see da Blues even considering moving O'Reilly. Da fans would come up in the stands and throw one owner and GM over the rails. He's endeared himself so well with the fans.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The press made a big deal of the $3 to 5M, whatever it was. Whether it was culture or the money they gave up on him. Appears they were wrong and he took the fall for the season. Time will tell.

Heck, we keep taking Perron back and he's no slouch but he takes poor penalties and some lapses. At $4M he'll earn his money as far as I';m concerned.

Buffalo needed competent, warm bodies on their third line because they lacked bottom six journeyman and that is what has panned out unfortunately.

Just can't see da Blues even considering moving O'Reilly. Da fans would come up in the stands and throw one owner and GM over the rails. He's endeared himself so well with the fans.
7.5 I think.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
While it's a pretty weird comparison, I don't think many teams are interested in picking up Little's contract. He's still a decent player, much better than Berglund, but I don't think that contract ages well.
It may not, but concerns regarding Little were blown a little out of porportion last year aa he had a down year and no matter how much pomo tried to force Ehlers Little and Laine it just didnt work. With the cap potentially rising significantly over the next few years with expansion, his salaray may not be as much of an anchor as most are painting it. Although thats me being optimistic, could be bad but its not a foregone conclusion at this point.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

That money is pocket change to Terry Pegula.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
7.5 I think.
Prior to the trade there was a $5M cash payment due for the year, not the cap amount. Some of the press were saying why pay $5M prior to the season for that attitude/performance/whatever. You might want to go back and refresh the crazy story line.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Prior to the trade there was a $5M cash payment due for the year, not the cap amount. Some of the press were saying why pay $5M prior to the season for that attitude/performance/whatever. You might want to go back and refresh the crazy story line.
CapFriendly says the 2018-19 signing bonus was $7.5-million, if that means anything to you here. Current year salary is $1-million.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I love Nik E (have his jersey) but I'd do Ehlers for O'Reilly straight up if the Blues would. We could easily move Roslo or Perreault into the top 6 on the wing and it would make us ridiculous down the middle.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't see how it's necessary to pick him up, thing is he's not super effective as he's more of a producer.

The only time I might've been interested was taking him instead of Stastny last trade deadline, but that ship has long sailed.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
CapFriendly says the 2018-19 signing bonus was $7.5-million, if that means anything to you here. Current year salary is $1-million.
Yeah, I follow cap friendly and you are correct the cap hit is $7.5M.

I guess the best way I can describe this is the press hyped the early payment schedule as a problem. Whether right or wrong, issue or not, the press high lighted it as an issue that supposedly shied teams away.

regardless of payment schedule, a team ultimately was going pay $7.5M average per year over the length of the contract.

Essentially the blues have paid O"Reilly upfront for this year. If we were to trade him this year, possibly some proration of this year's salary would have to be done or negotiated.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I follow cap friendly and you are correct the cap hit is $7.5M.

I guess the best way I can describe this is the press hyped the early payment schedule as a problem. Whether right or wrong, issue or not, the press high lighted it as an issue that supposedly shied teams away.

regardless of payment schedule, a team ultimately was going pay $7.5M average per year over the length of the contract.

Essentially the blues have paid O"Reilly upfront for this year. If we were to trade him this year, possibly some proration of this year's salary would have to be done or negotiated.
I didn't say the cap hit is $7.5 -- although it is, as always, the same through every year of a player's contract -- I said this year's signing bonus was $7.5 and this year's salary is another $1-million for total 2018-19 comp of $8.5 million.

Since this contract is front-loaded the Sabres had already paid $20-million over the first two years, and I think on principle Pegula said there's no way he's paying another $7.5 for year three.

Although the cap hit stats at $7.5, the actual cost to the Blues is less than that even having paid the 2018-19 signing bonus because of the early up-front payments already made by the Sabres in years one and two.

Pegula just said enough is enough, I'm not doing this anymore. Well take what we can get on this as-is.

Since they just made this trade, I don't think the Blues have any appetite to trade O'Reilly any time soon.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Realistically youd prob need to send Wheeler back this way....which would make the trade pointless for both teams.

/thread
Yeeshh - That's a horrible comparison. Blake had more assists last year than ROR highest point total in his career. Hyperbole

Reactions: Snowman

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Kulikov + Perreault + Roslovic + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd. Pretty much what STL gave up.

We obviously thought O'Reilly was worth more than we gave up. Hence why we made the trade. He has exceeded our expectations. So why do we trade him back for a similar package now?

Several people have offered this "same package" BS. I have asked this question multiple times. I have yet to get an answer.

Reactions: Dbrownss

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We obviously thought O'Reilly was worth more than we gave up. Hence why we made the trade. He has exceeded our expectations. So why do we trade him back for a similar package now?

Several people have offered this "same package" BS. I have asked this question multiple times. I have yet to get an answer.
Yeah, unless ROR demands a trade, there is no reason to accept a similar package, especially with how he's playing.

Nov 24, 2006

That money is pocket change to Terry Pegula.
If that's the case, I'd love to borrow his pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad