Value of: Ryan O'Reilly to the Winnipeg Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Disregarding the cap thing which I might agree with.....I feel like this is a pretty big understatement. Bryan Little is a solid middle-6 center, while most consider ROR a bonafide #1 perhaps even elite center. Upgrading from him to ROR is one of those things that could perhaps put you over the top.

As stated no doubt he’s an upgrade.....but one that’s not required when factoring his cap hit AND cost to acquire which would be significant.

Every team would like to have the 12 best forwards in their respective positions and the best top 6 defensemen and best two goalies......but there reasons why this can’t happen. Cap & cost to acquire. Someone who needs a 1C and far less cap concerns then the Jets would easily outbid the Jets to acquire him.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Colorado moves him... they improve.
Buffalo moves him.... they instantly improve.

Maybe there is a theme?
Colorado did not exactly improve...

And I really wonder how long this f***ing tired narrative will go on for. Buffalo added Hutton, Skinner and Dahlin in exchange for nothing from their active roster. Eichel is healthy for once. It should be obvious why the team is doing better now.

As for the OP, I'd love to add ROR. Our cap situation basically ruins the whole prospect of such a move happening.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m curious how long after a player is traded you can say his trade had something to do with the team improving? One season? Two seasons? Three seasons?

I also wonder if you honestly think that ROR, with 31 points this year, would not make the Sabres even better as a second center, when their center not named Eichel have 30 points combined. They’d be better just from having his 60% faceoff percentage helping their 48%. 273 faceoff wins would be tops and would be more than combining the third and forth highest on the Sabres.

Looking through various Blues trade threads I can’t help but wonder why you have a grudge against the Blues even though you don’t actually watch them play.

A grudge against the Blues? No, most certainly not... There is more to hockey, than the points a player puts up, or faceoffs... or.... Chemistry is key, and despite putting together a bunch of what looked liked good players on paper, there is a problem in St. Louis... There was a problem in Buffalo, there was a problem in Colorado.... Maybe not enough reason to draw conclusions yet, but then, if RoR moves to another team at some point, and it happens again, you start to wonder.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
A grudge against the Blues? No, most certainly not... There is more to hockey, than the points a player puts up, or faceoffs... or.... Chemistry is key, and despite putting together a bunch of what looked liked good players on paper, there is a problem in St. Louis... There was a problem in Buffalo, there was a problem in Colorado.... Maybe not enough reason to draw conclusions yet, but then, if RoR moves to another team at some point, and it happens again, you start to wonder.
Nice job not answering questions. I also have to call false on you claiming you hold no grudge against the Blues...based on what you post in every thread about a Blues trade.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Colorado moves him... they improve.
Buffalo moves him.... they instantly improve.

Maybe there is a theme?

Honestly what's funny is when Colorado moved Duchene and O'Reilly both top line C, they seemingly were fleeced, but ended up winning big time. Next thing you know they trade MacK and they end up with a player better than McDavid in the trade haha.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The locker room issues were widely whispered between the Petro faction and Steen faction during Hitch's time. This pre-dated ROR by 18+ months. Losing teams typically don't have fun locker rooms, or if they did, the GM should be dumping the roster to get players who are upset at losing and are hungry.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Yes, I know STL just traded for him only a few months ago...But there have been rumblings STL is looking to perhaps scorch earth rebuild and everyone not named Tarasenko could perhaps be had.

Player wise, I think he'd be a perfect fit. He's not a rental which Jet fans do not like and he gives them anther legit top6 center for 5 years in which Winnipegs window should be open for.

STL did not give up a lot to get him. What do you think WPG would have to give up to a division rival to get him if he was available in a trade?
scheifele

gotta give to get

Reactions: Blueston

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
How did Colorado instantly improve? The year after they traded ROR they finished 21st in the league. The year after that they finished 30th.

It's all relative I suppose. Maybe said poster is an amazonian sloth? :sarcasm:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
This must just be a running joke at this point right. Is there some sub forum for these get togethers to keep these crap notions going?

i don't think anyone takes it too seriously, but you have to admit it's hilariously ironic. he wanted out of Buffalo to play for a contender. he gets traded and Buffalo goes from dead last to (currently) 3rd in the east and the Blues fall apart and drop to the bottom of the standings. guy can't catch a break.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Colorado moved him and put up one of of the worst records of all time without him.
It's comical how people just choose to forget about this now.

Also how they forget that their best season recently - when they won the division - was when he was on the team.

Anyways, as for the proposal... the Blues traded Stastny to Winnipeg because he was an upcoming UFA. They're not moving ROR to a division rival so let's not act like this is a real possibility.

Reactions: Blueston

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
i don't think anyone takes it too seriously, but you have to admit it's hilariously ironic. he wanted out of Buffalo to play for a contender. he gets traded and Buffalo goes from dead last to (currently) 3rd in the east and the Blues fall apart and drop to the bottom of the standings. guy can't catch a break.
That I agree with but the Blues downward spiral went into last season. We need better coaching.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Hard to make the money work for Winnipeg.... Something like Roslovic, Perrault, Trouba for O'Reilly and Piertrangelo

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Colorado did not exactly improve...

And I really wonder how long this ****ing tired narrative will go on for. Buffalo added Hutton, Skinner and Dahlin in exchange for nothing from their active roster. Eichel is healthy for once. It should be obvious why the team is doing better now.

As for the OP, I'd love to add ROR. Our cap situation basically ruins the whole prospect of such a move happening.

It’ll never go away because most Avs fans wanted to keep O’ Reily and the same can be said about Buffalo fans. The salt left from the lopsided trade in the Blues favor brings out the worst in people. They project negativity on O’Reily any way possible.

The bottom line is O’Reily is a fantastic player who obviously cares about winning. It didn’t work out in Colorado or Buffalo, and it’s not a great start in St.Louis but the team’s record certainly isn’t a reflection of his play. He’s been the best player on the team from opening night on.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Why is St. Louis blowing it up? They're positioned to be a killer team next year after an off season if they just figure out what to do with Allen.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
How did Colorado instantly improve? The year after they traded ROR they finished 21st in the league. The year after that they finished 30th.

Shhhh...don't ruin a perfectly good bull shit narrative with facts.

:laugh: Why didn't Buffalo get Parayko/Tarasenko back?

The Buffalo-Blues trade is done. The circumstances that led to that trade no longer exist. For whatever reason, the Sabres were dead set on moving ROR and they took the best offer to do it. If the Jets wanted O'Reilly for a comparable package to what the Blues paid, they should have traded for him then. The Blues obviously thought ROR was worth more than they paid, that's why they paid it. They aren't going to turn around and trade him for the same. The opportunity for that type of deal has passed.

Right now, he is not a locker room issue for the Blues at all and he is our best player. The rumors of the Blues tearing every thing down are way over-stated. We are looking for a shake-up and listening to offers on other players. O'Reilly is not on-the-market. If you want him, you'd have to make it very much worth it for the Blues.

Last edited:

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
The only way I could see it working salary wise is if either Ehlers or Connor was going back. I think that honestly makes the Jets a better team in their cup window, but it won’t happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad