Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly : The Return [no, not that kind of return :(]; Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998

34769509.jpg

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
I dont get what he is saying about Anderson?? that he doesnt have good character and he is playing lights out or he does have good character and thats why is playing lights out... anyways bizarre. If I was RoR id be asking pops to please shut up.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
When Friedman wrote "Both sides have accused the other of allowing "non-principals" to "meddle" in the process." it's not hard to know who is referred to.

Wow, I never saw that. Brian O'Reilly from Radar's side obviously. Who would be the supposed non principle from the Avs side? PL? At least he works for the team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Papa Bear seems like he'd be really awesome to trip with, but that was a string of nonsense there. On a positive note looks like even he's grown werry of those damn agents. Maybe Ryan fires his agents and everything gets resolved?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I continue to hope that they can sort this out and reading his dad's letter re-enforces it for me. Teams win with guys like RoR.

They're going to have to get something pretty fantastic in return for him for me to ever say I agree with trading him away.

I agree. And as I said before people can laugh at his dad all they want, and laugh at his demands all they want. This team is losing one hell of a hockey player. One that will do anything it takes to win, and take full responsibility for losses even when not at fault. It is a shame that it has come to this, and I do believe that the Avs will be regretting it for a long time. ROR is the type of player you can't afford to lose IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Everything he said is all well and good, because basically he's not saying anything really, but it doesn't change the facts that offense pays in this league, Ryan was a 21 year old RFA with one offensive season of 55 points, and if he just took the very fair bridge deal at $3.5M per he would be playing for the team and city he loves.

If his son has so much character, how come he's not able to rise above these supposed "insults" from a team in negotiations? Let them be the ***holes, and prove you're the player you think they should know you can be.

My opinion exactly. Character alone won't get you $5m per, not anywhere close. Expecting a team to pay for character seems absurd to me. There are plenty of glue guys in this league that don't make hardly anything in comparison to the Semins of the world, but still play. If ROR wants to get paid he has to continue to produce offensively.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Avs don't value character.

Yeah, that is why we are drafting these character kids; to mess them up and wanting to trade them later on.
This guy doesn't know what he is talking about and is blinded cause it's about his son.
Avs have treated him fairly but don't value character.
This guy should've just shut up instead of posting and writing a big text full of nothing. (to clarify, not talking about you Avs_19)

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
Maybe its just me but his dad is speaking for him? Thought the kid was mature for his years? Not so much so I guess.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
I agree. And as I said before people can laugh at his dad all they want, and laugh at his demands all they want. This team is losing one hell of a hockey player. One that will do anything it takes to win, and take full responsibility for losses even when not at fault. It is a shame that it has come to this, and I do believe that the Avs will be regretting it for a long time. ROR is the type of player you can't afford to lose IMO.

What are Avs supposed to do though, pay him more than Duchene just because he has character?

Papa O'Reilly is obviously taking a pop at Duchene and his lack of "character" in his letter.

Character has to win out over skill that is why it takes a lot of skilled players a lot of losses to understand the character element of the game

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I dont get what he is saying about Anderson?? that he doesnt have good character and he is playing lights out or he does have good character and thats why is playing lights out... anyways bizarre. If I was RoR id be asking pops to please shut up.

Anderson had a contract issue with the Avs as well. Maybe he's trying to say the Avs didn't value Anderson's character and let him go. Now he's having success with the Sens.

Wow, I never saw that. Brian O'Reilly from Radar's side obviously. Who would be the supposed non principle from the Avs side? PL? At least he works for the team.

He works for the team but he shouldn't be involved in negotiations (I realize we don't know if he's actually involved or not). I haven't been able to find the article but I remember Dater writing that Lacroix has distanced himself from day to day operations and he spends a lot of time away from Colorado now. Anyone else remember Dater saying that?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What are Avs supposed to do though, pay him more than Duchene just because he has character?

Papa O'Reilly is obviously taking a pop at Duchene and his lack of "character" in his letter.

I don't think that was a shot at Duchene, what I think he meant here was character deserves 5 million dollars.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Old Man O'Reilly is a nut case and he really needs to stay away from the media. He's not helping his son... AT ALL!

Old man O'Reilly rambles on and on about character but then he uses Craig Anderson as an example of someone with high character. Are you freakin kidding me? Craig Anderson? Anderson showed his true character when he quit on his team. If that's Old Man O'Reilly's definition of true character then it's easy to see why his son is sitting out in a contract dispute.

Duchene, this year, is showing true character. He had a tough year last year and acknowledged it by taking a slightly lower bridge deal. He worked his butt off in the off season and has come out and played with a vengeance to show he's worth a bigger deal in a couple years.

"Character" athletes don't hold out for more money and play in an inferior league to try and gain leverage. They take the reasonable deal offered to them and then prove to their team's management that they are worth what they want next time through their performance on the ice/field.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Duchene has more than enough character and is showing it this year. Last year might have been different, but with Landy out, it is pretty obvious who is carrying this team and taking responsibility.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When pretty much every player is re-signed without any problem and he is the only RFA in the whole league still not playing, a month after the season started, perhaps O'Reilly's and their insistence that character must be respected (by paying a lot of dollars for it, if I understand his ramblings correctly) is a big part of the problem?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anderson had a contract issue with the Avs as well. Maybe he's trying to say the Avs didn't value Anderson's character and let him go. Now he's having success with the Sens.

He works for the team but he shouldn't be involved in negotiations (I realize we don't know if he's actually involved or not). I haven't been able to find the article but I remember Dater writing that Lacroix has distanced himself from day to day operations and he spends a lot of time away from Colorado now. Anyone else remember Dater saying that?

Yea, and I take issue with a lot of PL's "recipe" decisions as well, but he's the president of the team. Right or wrong, he has way more of a right to be influential to negotiations than a player's father.

Wild speculation on my part, but could this certain personal rift with the team have stemmed from his dad trying to get involved, and the Avalanche expressing their dissatisfaction with that, and possibly saying something about him which Ryan took personally?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Flyers beat writer....

Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull
SOURCE: No truth to media reports that #Flyers have inquired about Colorado center Ryan O'Reilly.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Not sure the point of that letter. If this whole thing wasn't about money, ROR would be playing right now. Plain and simple. It's completely about money. This team DOES value character. They've gotten rid of those lazy, careless players(Wolski, Stewart). But they're not going to pay big bucks for just character. No one will.

I find one of the better fits comparison wise would be Jere Lehtonen. ROR is being offered twice the dollars Jere got after similar numbers after their ELC. It's too bad it got to where it has. Could the Avs have "negotiated" better? Maybe. But ROR has a lot of blame to take from all this. He comes off as extremely greedy and butthurt about the captaincy. His rep will take a huge hit. And who wants a player that will bolt to Russia if he's not getting paid what he wants? Sorry, but I personally don't want a player like that on my teams. The Avs will get a kings ransom for him and will be better off because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad