Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly : The Return [no, not that kind of return :(]; Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
LOL at this point the following has been reported: Avs want a pick and a prospect, a prospect and an established forward, a prospect and an established defenceman, all of the above, and now, apparently, whatever is offered.

Media know nothing at the end of the day since Avs never leak anything media are just guessing as much as the rest of us. They might get a hint if a media friendly team that has talked to Avs say something but that's about it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I would much rather have Silfverberg the guy is basically a young Hejduk even though he is struggling a bit with putting up points atm. He would fit perfect as the right wing sniper on a line with Landy and Stastny then again there is Sacco that would probably put him with Olver and Bordeleau...

When we talk about trades with the Sens one of the guys on top of my list is Silverberg. Really like this guy

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope the Avs keep the price unreasonably high so there's a greater chance all parties involved will come to their senses and sign a ******* deal.

I know, I'm deluding myself, but being a Denver sports fan sometimes that's what ya gotta do. :cry:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
All good. I am more of a size queen, than whatever you would call the antithesis of that with bringing Little in. I won't duck from that accusation.

I love McGInn's game, but Wheeler is basically what we hoped Jones would be with his powerful stride up ice, McGinn's willingness to go to the net, some nice moves and playmaking to go along with being much tougher to clear from the front of the net due to his size.

Plus if you watch a lot of his goals, he's got a great knack for going unnoticed in the open areas by the net where the puck is going to be. He's got a very all around game that is more multi faceted than a Jones, McGinn, or maybe even Landy though we haven't seen all he's capable of.

That's one of the biggest weaknesses of this team IMO. Too many guys that when their most successful attribute isn't working, they get shut down fairly easily.

I like Wheeler but I would only want him if Trouba or Bogo is coming with him. I still prefer my pipe dream package.;)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like Wheeler but I would only want him if Trouba or Bogo is coming with him. I still prefer my pipe dream package.;)

Yea, I don't think I'd want to do it straight up. I'd want to add something, to get back something in addition.

I'm more pushing him in terms of if we make a trade with Winny. Bogo scares me as the center piece, and Little is redundant and won't be as impactful IMO. They need an impact player in return for a big time impact player in O'Reilly.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There has been reports of anything from good roster player/roster player/top prospect/prospect/picks.

I don't think the pundits know and most likely Avs have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to return. A deal that makes sense going forward seems to be what they want.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There has been reports of anything from good roster player/roster player/top prospect/prospect/picks.

I don't think the pundits know and most likely Avs have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to return. A deal that makes sense going forward seems to be what they want.

I agree with this. They know that they have to get an excellent return for ROR, so they need to get the best player/s they possibly can regardless of position. The only position I don't see them going after is goalie for obvious reasons.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wheeler strikes me as Wolski 2.0--all the size, all the talent, none of the drive. Boston wouldn't have traded him for Rick Peverley if they thought he was worth any further investment.

I don't think their reasons had a whole lot to do with them not thinking much of him. There was a lot going on for Boston at that time.

They brought in an expensive Kaberle without giving up any roster players, and had lost Savard for the season. They needed to clear cap space, and bring in a playmaking center for the strong run they thought they had in them at the cup. That trade accomplished both as Peverly was cheaper than either Wheeler or Stuart at about 1.3M at the time, and was a 50+ point guy, though obviously it was shortsighted and didn't work in hindsight.

They also had Lucic on the team who's about the same size, and was producing more at the time, so they probably thought Wheeler was somewhat expendable.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Count me in on wanting Wheeler + Trouba, we don't need a center coming back in the deal. (Why people keep suggesting it is beyond me...) We will have no problem finding a 3rd line center in free-agency (Bozak hopefully) and Mitchell has been more than good in that role.

I understand we went after Little in the past but the winger we bring in is obviously going on Stastny's right side, and we all know what kind of player (Power forward) Stastny plays best with.

Seriously like the idea of this...

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Landeskog - Stastny - Wheeler

That is a high scoring tough to play against top 6.

So what makes everyone so sure that Stastny is going to want to stick around beyond next season?? ESPECIALLY if the Avs are still not making the playoffs, especially if they have the same coaching and especially if they want to re-sign him for LESS. Might as well become a UFA, you'll probably get closer to what you WERE making and get to choose your destination. It's not a slam dunk he's willing to come back....I hope I'm wrong but THAT'S the reason you might want to target a center.

LOL at this point the following has been reported: Avs want a pick and a prospect, a prospect and an established forward, a prospect and an established defenceman, all of the above, and now, apparently, whatever is offered.

Probably because the media is talking with a bunch of teams and the package keeps changing because IT WOULD, depending on the team. Doesn't seem so hard to comprehend...never really though "a forward and a top prospect" really made sense.

Wheeler strikes me as Wolski 2.0--all the size, all the talent, none of the drive. Boston wouldn't have traded him for Rick Peverley if they thought he was worth any further investment.

Maybe back 3 years but he's pretty good. Catch some Jets games, he's usually one of their better players.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
So I've been thinking about this a bit and I think I found it:

To Col:
Little,C/RW
Trouba,RD

To Wpg:
O'Reilly,C
Aittokallio,G or Pickard,G

- Winnipeg gets the best player in the trade (RoR)
- Colorado gets potentially the best player in the trade (Trouba) though it's far from certain
- Winnpeg gets our best goaltender prospect depending on which guy they prefer
- Colorado gets a good player in Little to compensate for loss of RoR

Picks +/- on either side to round it out.

I have seen Trouba play a few time this year with Michigan and at the WJC and this guy is the real deal. Trouba has every tools to be a real top 2.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Man, what has to happen for ppl to realize that this deal won't happen?

1- Sens are virtually out of the playoff picture now and have no interest trading Zibanejad, a guy with a higher ceiling than ROR, plus Weircoch, a potential NHL dman, plus a third when they can simply wait for them to evolve into NHL caliber players.

2- Col is looking for a defensman, or a winger. Even though Zibanejad has played some time on the wing, he's expressed that he's more comfortable down the middle.

3- What do we do with Zibanejad? another center to add to our team? This does not satisfy our needs.

Lol, what are you talking about? That deal was proposed by Sens fans'. :laugh: And how do you know what Avs want? Us fans have been asking for a defenseman.

@Foppa: I was comparing frame between McGinn and Wheeler. I would like to see more consistency with Wheeler before I jump on his wagon.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
Assuming guys like McDonagh/Alzner/Hedman/Enstrom/etc are off the table

RoR+Elliott for Kulikov+Bjustad
RoR+Elliott+Jones for Trouba+Wheeler+Burmistrov
RoR for Couturier

are deals I would be ok with.

Jakob Silfverberg also really intrigues me but I haven't seen him play enough to have a solid opinion on him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
@Foppa: I was comparing frame between McGinn and Wheeler. I would like to see more consistency with Wheeler before I jump on his wagon.

That's fair, but I think that was more of a concern a couple or few years ago. He put up 64 points last year, and has 11 in 14 so far this year.

From looking at his game log, it looks like his longest pointless streak was five games early in last season, and then another four game drought, but other than that it was mainly just a few two game droughts. So far this year, he's only gone two games in a row without a point a couple times.

That's not that bad. Certainly a step above Jones, or Stewart, or McGinn consistency wise from a power forward, though it's not clear what Jamie's top end can be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3641/gamelog;_ylt=At0ij4HkbqUxlTvSvfV04lFivLYF?year=2011

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Assuming guys like McDonagh/Alzner/Hedman/Enstrom/etc are off the table

RoR+Elliott for Kulikov+Bjustad
RoR+Elliott+Jones for Trouba+Wheeler+Burmistrov
RoR for Couturier

are deals I would be ok with.

Jakob Silfverberg also really intrigues me but I haven't seen him play enough to have a solid opinion on him.

I like this but I have a hard time seeing WPG going for it. Basically ROR + Jones for Burmistrov + Wheeler with some carry over value on Elliott for Trouba.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I have seen Trouba play a few time this year with Michigan and at the WJC and this guy is the real deal. Trouba has every tools to be a real top 2.

Yeah, he's essentially the key to the deal. Bryan Little is a versatile player that can play center (if Stastny bolts) or wing but it's essentially Trouba for RoR and the Avs would have to add. I added Pickard/Aittokallio because I figured with our depth at that position, we could more afford to give up one of those guys but it could be a pick instead (2014 - 2nd) or something like that.

Rrabb1t

Jul 6, 2011
Wonder if we could get Tampa interested in something like this:

Eric Brewer, Brett Connolly, Tampa 1st round pick or Mark Barberio.

-> Ryan O'reilly, Shane O'Brien.

Brewer is a left shooting veteran D who could provide immediate D help. Brett Connolly is a former 6th overall pick from 2010 who hasn't been able to find his feet in Tampa top6, but has considerable upside. Barberio is a left shooting prospect who has been producing well in the AHL. If Tampa isn't willing to deal him then 1st round prospect pick could work instead.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wonder if we could get Tampa interested in something like this:

Eric Brewer, Brett Connolly, Tampa 1st round pick or Mark Barberio.

-> Ryan O'reilly, Shane O'Brien.

Brewer is a left shooting veteran D who could provide immediate D help. Brett Connolly is a former 6th overall pick from 2010 who hasn't been able to find his feet in Tampa top6, but has considerable upside. Barberio is a left shooting prospect who has been producing well in the AHL. If Tampa isn't willing to deal him then 1st round prospect pick could work instead.

Not a fan. Brewer is good, but I would want someone younger. Never been a fan of Connolly at all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Everything he said is all well and good, because basically he's not saying anything really, but it doesn't change the facts that offense pays in this league, Ryan was a 21 year old RFA with one offensive season of 55 points, and if he just took the very fair bridge deal at $3.5M per he would be playing for the team and city he loves.

If his son has so much character, how come he's not able to rise above these supposed "insults" from a team in negotiations? Let them be the ***holes, and prove you're the player you think they should know you can be.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

So he says O'Reilly was treated fairly but the Avs don't value character.

Quality of character is really hard to describe but you recognize it instantly in someone’s behavior. Each one of us has to decide the value of their own character and the character of others by how they treat you. It’s as simple as that! The Colorado Avalanche I believe have treated Ryan fairly. He had three wonderful years with them. Where we go from here will be a matter of character.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad