Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
This trade doesn't get talked about enough as highway robbery. We basically turned 23 games of Rick Nash (6-5-11 in those games) into Lindgren, Strome (in the Spooner trade) and I believe pick no 26 which we added a second to to get K'Andre Miller.

How the hell did we get so little for Buch then?

Reactions: ponzu4u

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This trade doesn't get talked about enough as highway robbery. We basically turned 23 games of Rick Nash (6-5-11 in those games) into Lindgren, Strome (in the Spooner trade) and I believe pick no 26 which we added a second to to get K'Andre Miller.

How the hell did we get so little for Buch then?

Different GMs, different situations. We took 50% of Beleskey's contract, so that was factored into the cost for Boston. And Spooner was a cap dump as well. Their cap situation worked in our favor. It was a also a deadline deal, when teams are a bit more desperate.

With Buch, our cap situation worked against us. Other teams knew we couldn't afford Buch long term. I still think we should have gotten more, but it is what it is at this point.

Reactions: leetch99

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Different GMs, different situations. We took 50% of Beleskey's contract, so that was factored into the cost for Boston. And Spooner was a cap dump as well. Their cap situation worked in our favor. It was a also a deadline deal, when teams are a bit more desperate.

With Buch, our cap situation worked against us. Other teams knew we couldn't afford Buch long term. I still think we should have gotten more, but it is what it is at this point.
Yup you nailed it. Add to that fact that Trades made at the deadline seem to have higher returns/prices opposed to trade made in the offseason.
Everyone is in a frenzy and are trying to add weapons with aspirations of raising the cup.

the market of high end wingers, Centers, or D that are available at the time also is a major factor.
A lot of the time there are 4-5 teams looking to add the same type of player for their playoff push, and there’s only 1-2 guys that are high end.
The others have to usually settle for their 2nd choice...
They theres the question of if the guy is a pure 1 year rental, or if he’s signed for a few more years. That’s when cap space also becomes a value factor.
Whose paying/retaining,? how much? Etc

I also agree our return for Buch was a little too light. Needing a new deal, a market that was flush with available wingers, both as Free Agents and available in trade at the time also affected his return.

luckily for us, we got a haul from Boston to add Nash...
Taking Beleasky’s deal, and getting Lindgren alone would have a giant coup.
Add to the fact that we turned a terrible asset (spoon) into multiple years of Strome at his career years.
And added a bit to the late 1st to move up and get Miller, this trade was not only a home run, but a grand slam with 5 topless supermodels jumping up and down as you cross home plate.

Net gain
3 n 1/2 years of a PPG. 2C in Strome
Legit 23 year old 1st pair D
Legit 21 year old 2nd pair D
( both guys still have potential to be better. In millers case, his ceiling could be a lot higher)

for 20 or so games of Nash
And eating a couple mill on a bad deal.

That was robbery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He could be hurting. Hasnt been great after he took that bomb of a shot off the inside of the knee against St. Louis.

But I believe in Ryan. He is the type of guy that has surpassed all of our expectations and plays a very hard game, so Im willing to deal with some ups and downs.

He needs to get back to his usual level of play, no doubt - and I believe he will

Reactions: TheDirtyH and bl02

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he's been really, really bad this year, since training camp started tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if he came to camp out of shape or got hurt really early and never recovered. he has regressed in almost everything. his timing, his physicality, his awareness, and especially his puck moving.

I don't appreciate the revisionist history that he was always like this, though. He was terrific and a top pairing D for sure the last two years. That doesn't go away because he's been shite this year.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The game's gotten faster and heavier and he hasn't. Unfortunately he doesn't have the ice vision of his partner as a counterbalance. The guy gets pummeled because he's not good at evading.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think the game has changed significantly in the past 2 years since he started, I think he's struggling a bit with the heavier minutes and responsibility of a real full NHL season playing top minutes

I do think he's trying to do a bit too much but really it probably is ultimately just the young guy having to play more in a role he hasn't played as much before. again, first full NHL season playing as a #1 pair guy, more responsibility, more teams targeting him, more games. Fox has slipped some too

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He's definitely slumping a bit, but I'm not worried.

He is the exact type of player we are going to need come playoff time. He is the player that will wear down the other team's top forwards. Always boggles my mind when I see people talking about wanting to trade him. He's on a very reasonable contract for another 2 seasons as well.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You know, a lot of people criticized Drury for only giving three years to Lindgren. I have been Lindgren's biggest cheerleader since we acquired him, but even I could see that given how he plays, a shorter commitment might not be a bad thing. You gotta worry about how the guy is gonna hold up given how much punishment he takes. He could be a shorter-burn Girardi. Those concerns may be premature, but I don't think they're crazy, either.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
he just needs someone to bump him down from the top pair, he's not a top pairing guy, no shame in that. Playing over his head like a lot of players on this team right now.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
What is really shocking about Lindgren is that he's really bad at defending the neutral zone/blue line. From the data I have seen anyway. Like worst on the entire defense bad. Wouldn't expect that because it's not like he has trouble skating. That's a problem for a guy who's not going to do much with the puck and relies on his defensive prowess to provide value.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The game's gotten faster and heavier and he hasn't. Unfortunately he doesn't have the ice vision of his partner as a counterbalance. The guy gets pummeled because he's not good at evading.
this is not only very true, but Lindgren's declining puck moving leads to Fox getting hit a lot more. When Lindgren makes a bad pass into Fox's skates or puts him in a bad spot, it leaves him wide open to get crunched. It's why I never bought this idea that you can place someone positionally good but with dog shit puck skills with a great puck mover, the bad one needs to do something with the puck.

Reactions: will1066

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's definitely slumping a bit, but I'm not worried.

He is the exact type of player we are going to need come playoff time. He is the player that will wear down the other team's top forwards. Always boggles my mind when I see people talking about wanting to trade him. He's on a very reasonable contract for another 2 seasons as well.
Will he? Lindgren is way less physical this year than even a year ago. He might be the second softest D on the team at this point besides Fox (which obviously is irrelevant).

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Will he? Lindgren is way less physical this year than even a year ago. He might be the second softest D on the team at this point besides Fox (which obviously is irrelevant).

Even though Miller is coming along, IMO he's still softer than Lindgren (even with Lindgren in this rut).

I actually really like Lindgren for the long haul on the team, but he's fighting above his weight class on the top pair this season.

Reactions: will1066

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Whoever in this thread that wants to trade him, thank GOD you are not our GM.

Guy is a warrior and exactly the exact player you need in the playoffs.

What a f***ing game he had despite clearly playing through an injury.
Inspirational. Like the Rat is for his bruins.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Whoever in this thread that wants to trade him, thank GOD you are not our GM.

Guy is a warrior and exactly the exact player you need in the playoffs.

What a f***ing game he had despite clearly playing through an injury.
Some of the comments in this thread shitting on him are cute. Lindgren is probably wearing a letter for this team next year and he should be...

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Lindgren doesn’t need to be traded.

He should move down though. Miller is definitely better than he is.

tonight’s game was pretty legendary though. Don’t know what he’s playing through but it’s obviously pretty serious.
If Miller is definitely better then let him carry the 8 Mil Mayfield.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
lol. when referring to the toughness of mankind the tiering is as follows (starting from weakest to toughest):

weak men
average men
tough men
Ryan Lindgren

it's as if he's living in a 1980s action movie when he's playing hockey.

Reactions: tlk and NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad