Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
It’s so underrated to have him as Fox’s partner. This allows Fox to take real offensive chances like he did last night and not have to worry that there isn’t someone there to back him up.
You need a defensive defenseman paired with an offensive defenseman. That's critical. Unless you end up with two #1 two-way defensemen like Chara/Redden. But then you've hit the jackpot.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You need a defensive defenseman paired with an offensive defenseman. That's critical. Unless you end up with two #1 two-way defensemen like Chara/Redden. But then you've hit the jackpot.
Don't disagree with the sentiment, but Fox is two-way. But yeah, if the Rangers were in the playoffs tomorrow, Fox and Lindgren draw the tough assignments. And I would be comfortable with that.

Lindgren is easily the most underrated player on this team.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Completely agree.

Will go further and say that as All-Star teams are meant to win All Star games, were I running Team USA for the Olympics, I would lift the entire duo for the team and let them play together.
You would think this could be the unique enough situation that it may happen. It's not like one good d man with a pylon, it's a top pairing that plays against the hockey elite every night that can seamlessly be brought in to just continue their level of play together. The only weakness that the pairing has in my opinion is they do seem to get bodied out in front of their own net from time to time, but that is it. Both will continue to mature as adults and both are extremely good players in their own ways and they are excellent together

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Don't disagree with the sentiment, but Fox is two-way. But yeah, if the Rangers were in the playoffs tomorrow, Fox and Lindgren draw the tough assignments. And I would be comfortable with that.

Lindgren is easily the most underrated player on this team.
That’s a very fair point.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Lindgren is honestly a pretty exceptional defenseman on this team

he has proven that he's not a product of Fox and is completely capable of playing top pair minutes with or without him.

I do not like the Girardi comparisons. Lindgren is an exponentially better skater and puck mover than Girardi was at his best, especially with lateral strides and gaps. At Lindgren's age, Girardi was in the AHL, not burying top scorers night in and night out. they're comparably in that they're physical and bleed a lot.

Also every other game he absolutely freight trains someone but it never seems to end up on highlight reels. Guess cause they usually don't result in fights.

Just happy to have him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

he has proven that he's not a product of Fox and is completely capable of playing top pair minutes with or without him.

I do not like the Girardi comparisons. Lindgren is an exponentially better skater and puck mover than Girardi was at his best, especially with lateral strides and gaps. At Lindgren's age, Girardi was in the AHL, not burying top scorers night in and night out. they're comparably in that they're physical and bleed a lot.

Also every other game he absolutely freight trains someone but it never seems to end up on highlight reels. Guess cause they usually don't result in fights.

Just happy to have him.
Amen

Easily the most underrated player on his own team. The back of his jersey might as well say "Fox's Partner" as no one knows about him. The kid is showing that he can go against the opposition's top players every single night.

Were I in charge of the Olympics, I would lift the entire Lindgren-Fox pair for the tournament.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I’ve seen a few posts about this floating around in GDTs, but figured it was worth having a bigger discussion on.

Does something seem different about Lindgren this year?

I don’t want to say “off”, because I think he has played pretty well overall. But he’s been really quiet. Not the big-hitting guy perpetually covered in blood that we’re used to. I know the timing is funny for this, as he just “fought” Kessel, but it’s almost like he’s had an eerily similar, but slightly different, person wearing his jersey.

My biggest guess as to why he looks different is that he no longer needs to be this team’s physical leader. But maybe he has a nagging injury, or got advice that he needs to change his play style up a bit or he’ll have a short career.

Anyone else notice this? Again, very happy with Lindgren, but something is different.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I’ve seen a few posts about this floating around in GDTs, but figured it was worth having a bigger discussion on.

I don’t want to say “off”, because I think he has played pretty well overall. But he’s been really quiet. Not the big-hitting guy perpetually covered in blood that we’re used to. I know the timing is funny for this, as he just “fought” Kessel, but it’s almost like he’s had an eerily similar, but slightly different, person wearing his jersey.

My biggest guess as to why he looks different is that he no longer needs to be this team’s physical leader. But maybe he has a nagging injury, or got advice that he needs to change his play style up a bit or he’ll have a short career.

Anyone else notice this? Again, very happy with Lindgren, but something is different.

After realizing I just liked several old posts on this very thread page (vacation can't come soon enough, 3 hours away!) - can't take them away, Merry Christmas lol

I do notice that while he's still physical, he's not handing out those big hits as often but I think it's whether the opportunity is there and will it take him out of the play too. But it does seem he's becoming even more mobile and willing to jump in on the rush. Don't mind that whatsoever, he can be our sleeper. (any other car guys here? lol)

I don't think we have anything to worry about - maybe he's pacing himself for that heavy play late in the year. Cheers!

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I absolutely love Lindgren and have since before he ever played a game for us, but I actually think it's probably good we didn't sign him for five or six years. Guys like him often slow down from all the abuse. I don't think he's slowing down yet, but I do think he's maybe realizing that he can't play balls-to-the-wall, in-your-face, physical hockey for 18 minutes per night for 82 games per year. I think he's maybe pacing himself a bit. Which, if that helps keep him fresh for the playoffs, or extends his peak another season or two, I'm all for it.

But yes, in general, he has been different this year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kessel beat him up.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Kessel beat him up.

Watch the video Keller grabs Lindgren around the waist and pulls him back which put him off balance and at a disadvantage. Think its a huge stretch to say Kessel beat him up, when no punches were thrown or landed.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Just happy to have him.

Reminds me more of Kevin Klein, honestly.

To your first point. When it was becoming apparent Nash was most likely headed to Boston I was begging for Lindgren to be a part of the package. He was one of Team USA's most valuable players that year at the WJHC. His play stood out big time in that tounament.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Reminds me more of Kevin Klein, honestly.

To your first point. When it was becoming apparent Nash was most likely headed to Boston I was begging for Lindgren to be a part of the package. He was one of Team USA's most valuable players that year at the WJHC. His play stood out big time in that tounament.

Kevin Klein in that season where he showed way better offensive instincts than given credit for. Lindgren's skating has been something that Miller needs to pay attention to.

Skate the puck with confidence out of the zone. Lateral pass to Trouba 95% of the time he gets the puck.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Through 30 games this season, the underlying numbers for the Lindgren-Fox pair aren’t as sterling as they were in 2020-21. The Flames, who routed the Rangers in both of their meetings last month, showed that being heavy on both the Rangers’ top-pair defensemen can have an effect. Lindgren might love the physical side of the game, but he’s 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, not much bigger than Fox.

Still, they are among the most-used pairs in the league and, according to Natural Stat Trick, despite a fairly average expected-goals percentage of 50.3, no defense pair has been on the ice for more high-danger chances for at even strength this season. They’re a plus-20 (99-79) in HD chances.

Reactions: haveandare

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Just happy to have him.

spot on. I agree. Girardi was bigger and slower. More of a true stay at home shutdown D/shot blocker.
Lindgren is way more mobile and doesn’t handle the puck like a grenade on his stick.
They get compared together because both were 1st pair in very good support roles with better partners, and both are physical and like to hit.

Lindgren was also drafted. His talent was noticed and Boston grabbed him. There were concerns about his size and his offensive skills translating to the nhl speed of the game with bigger better players. Thank god Boston was dumb enough to move him down on their depth chart so we were able to acquire him.

the thing that makes the Lindgren-Fox pair so good is the unsaid connection between the 2.
Both as stand a lone guys are great. They more then pull their own weight.
But having a long history of playing together and being close friends on and off the ice makes them really special. It’s like they communicate with each other thru telepathy. Each guy knows what the other is going to do, where they’re going to be before it happens. That is incredibly rare.
Both are very good skaters as well which makes a huge difference.
Lindgrens physical style along with being mobile is a perfect compliment to Fox s positionally sound 2-way Puck moving style as well.
It’s a special Pair for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad