Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One thing that I do not want to see is him scratched for the next several games. Not after a pretty solid performance the other night. Kid is not flashy, but does not need to be and not afraid to take what the other team is offering. He responds.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been singing his praises for a while. I saw him a good bit in college and have always liked him.

Being sound defensively and playing a physical game, those are two things everyone knows about him. The other aspect that often goes unmentioned that I always try to highlight is that he makes smart plays to get the puck out of the zone. He's not DeAngelo where he's going to carry it out every time and try to make something happen, but he's really calm under pressure and knows how to get the puck to a guy in a better position when he's being pressed. He also excels and making crisp, accurate passes out of the zone. The one in the last game where he banked it off the wall perfectly to hit Kreider in stride is something you'll see a lot from him.

He's just a good all-around player. It's why I have always said he will have a good, long NHL career, even if it's not with us.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He was much better with the puck in the offensive zone against TBL than he was at any point in his short stint last season. I'm not expecting him to be any sort of offensive contributor, but I do expect for him to be able to make the plays to help us sustain pressure when we're on the attack. Good on him for taking a big step in his development this summer.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’ll take that bet. I think he plays... does Staal come back and someone else sits (Skjei maybe?) I dunno. But I think he plays Saturday

if Quinn changes up the lineup to give Staal another chance, he had all the chances before this scratch. he just can't skate anymore at the NHL level. it is sad how bad he became and skating I doubt has to due with his head injuries. maybe he has eye issues and he is hiding. what if Staal actually did that?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't know if Lindgren's chances of being a long term Ranger have ever been better.

With ADA and Fox set to be fixtures for a while and other small-ish puck movers like Reunanen, Jones, and Lundkvist coming up through; of our more legit prospects, Lindgren's skillset stands apart.

Plus, Quinn is a near-ideal coach for him to come in under.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hope that is not the case. Lindell-Klingberg is a bad pairing.
That's because Lindell sucks lol.

There's defensive defensemen who are good at preventing the other team from doing the hockey and then there's "defensive" defenseman who are only good at preventing their own team from doing the hockey.

I hope Lindgren is the good kind.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Had a really good game, but hasn't been so good with first passes in the past. Definitely hope he's turned a corner there rather than having an unusually effective single game in that area.

He brings a great dose of physicality to the team and is sold in his zone without being too one dimensional. Very Sauer-esque. Hope he keeps it up.

I doubt he comes out for Staal after he just had a great first game. Staal will definitely be back at some point IMO, probably after the next loss which, let's be real, won't be very far away.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I've heard Girardi comparisons but I saw more Sauer in his game the other night.

I see more subtle and steady like a Sauer/Vlasic/Ekholm type (style, not necessarily quality) as opposed to somebody who's aggressively defensive like a Girardi/Tanev/Russel.
I know this comparison is overused, but I see a McDonagh-lite. Lindgren’s skating is very good and can’t be overlooked. So is the fact that he can make crisp passes, even though he is not a natural playmaker. But I have said since last year that he has some untapped offensive potential. His shot looks improved as well. Not great, but at least average. And like McDonagh, his hands will never be great.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know this comparison is overused, but I see a McDonagh-lite. Lindgren’s skating is very good and can’t be overlooked. So is the fact that he can make crisp passes, even though he is not a natural playmaker. But I have said since last year that he has some untapped offensive potential. His shot looks improved as well. Not great, but at least average. And like McDonagh, his hands will never be great.
I've mentioned Sauer a few times with Lindgren, and I think someone did above, as well. Eventually he'll get more comfortable joining the rush and pinching a little more aggressively and he'll add an extra 5-10 points to the 10-15 he would otherwise score. IMO.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I've mentioned Sauer a few times with Lindgren, and I think someone did above, as well. Eventually he'll get more comfortable joining the rush and pinching a little more aggressively and he'll add an extra 5-10 points to the 10-15 he would otherwise score. IMO.
No I mean the McDonagh comparison is overused in general for d-men but I actually think it fits Lindgren quite well.

In regards to Sauer, I took a couple years break paying attention to Rangers hockey when I was 15 or 16. So I don’t remember watching him play. I also only watched the games and didn’t pay attention to anything else until I was 19 or 20.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
He’s like a Trouba that can skate, thought he looked great. People have always raved about his character & leadership qualities too
I don’t think Lindgren’s shot or offensive IQ will ever be at Trouba’s level, but I think there’s untapped potential.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He can be a new age Girardi in the sense that he has the reputation of a shutdown guy but unlike G he won’t murder your transition game.

I think there is more offense there than he gets credit for. LH Bieksa ish.

Reactions: Machinehead

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
There should be rules with player comparisons:

a) cannot be compared to current or past Rangers

b) cannot be compared to players of same nationality unless Canadian
This is too hard, Matthew. Let me have my crutch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad