Ryan Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It really is amazing how poor Kesler's skating looks, relatively speaking, as compared to his 2008-2011 peak. Looks flat-out average now in that regard.

Guy used to be one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the most explosive and dangerous carrying the puck through the neutral zone. Backed off defenses with his speed, and created space for his linemates as a result.

Without the separation that his skating/speed created, he's having a lot of trouble penetrating opposing defenses to create scoring chances for either himself or his linemates. He didn't have to be as creative when he was faster than everyone else, and could shoot the puck so well. Now that he has to be more creative to break down opposing defenses, he's struggling with it.

I'm far from counting him out, but he needs to make some adjustments. And accept the fact that his superstar days are probably over.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not the only who was disappointed with Kesler's first 3 or 4 games in 2010-11 too right?

He'll come around. No chance he's 41-goal Kesler anymore, but he'll come around.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
That level of a player is perhaps a Bobby Ryan? If this team needs to find a Bobby Ryan to get Kesler going, then the issue isn't finding that perfect/specific linemate, its Kesler himself.

I'm not sure what the talk about him is internally. What Gillis and management think he needs. But if they were after a pure playmaker, Parenteau and Tanguay were options. If they wanted a sniper, Ryder and other options were available. They also tried Roy with him, and we know they had interest in Clowe. Point being, they don't seem too concerned with finding the perfect linemate for him. And I think that's prudent because who knows what will work with him at this point? He's such a solo player.

They've tried many players with him, and the two times he's excelled at making plays was with Sundin, and his 50 assist campaign with Raymond and Samuelsson. Yet, even in that 50 assist run, I distinctly remember conversations where posters still didn't like his passing game. So a HOFer was able to pull the best 'interplay' out of him... Not too surprising.

Pavelski is the same age, a soon-to-be 6m dollar player, and he plays 3C for his team. SJ's plethora of Cs allows for this to happen. Given the same influx of centre talent here, perhaps the Canucks can do the same with Kesler. It would certainly allow the team to be less reliant on him for offense. Maybe that's the way to go. Even if he picks it up, I'm not sure I would trust his offense. So maybe get another C to take over 2nd line duties?

Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps Horvat could be that player, but it would be a tall order for him to be the 2nd line C next year.

In regards to 2nd line C's available this year, Stastny could be an option. Not sure what Colorado would want for him, and as long as they are playing well they wouldn't move him anyways. Perhaps by the deadline that will change.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
all i know is that the 2nd line looks like ass and i wouldn't count on them to provide enough secondary scoring in the playoffs

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think it's important to remember that we're only 4 games into the season.

Kesler looks slow and tentative, but perhaps it's a little unrealistic to expect a player who has missed as much time as he has in the last year to snap right back into form. It may take some time for him to settle in.

Nov 1, 2011
The one common theme in all cup winners is consistent secondary scoring, we don't have that.

I love how you blame the one guy on the 2nd line who has actually managed to score at a decent clip over the last three years for being our main problem.

Teams pay guys $2.5M-$5M to be good secondary scorers. In recent years we've had guys like Kesler, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Sturm, and Booth fit into those slots. For the most part, except for Samuelsson and Kesler when healthy, none did very well here. Kesler right now IMO needs to be better defensively, his timing and hand-eye seem a little off however if Higgins finished a few of the amazing chances he got this year, our second line would be looking really good unfortunately, that might be a constant problem with Higgins.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Ryan "when the puck's on my stick I have options" Kesler.

He'll get it going. I really want to see him Booth and Kassian used as a unit. Speed, size and skill. New season, new coach, new systems. Give it time. 20 games in if he is 10 points or below I'll start to worry.

King of the ES*

Put him with the Sedin's.

Have Schroeder C the second line, in-between Burrows & Booth.

See what happens.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008

See what happens.

I think putting him with Daniel should improve him. He's playing on an AMEX line with barely any scoring from Booth and Higgins.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I think Kes needs to be playing with Schroeder. More than anything he needs a playmaker.

Wetcoaster

See what happens.
That makes no sense.

Kesler is an elite two way centre and Schroeder has yet to prove himself as a capable third/fourth liner let alone be capble of handling top centres on face-offs.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Alex Tanguay would have been a good option for Kesler IMO, really wish Gillis targeted him, the asking price wasn't even that high.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think Kes needs to be playing with Schroeder. More than anything he needs a playmaker.

Agreed. I really want Schroeder to get a good solid chance in the top 6. Look at all these other teams getting meaningful contributions from their young players. I know most people here don't think too much of Schroeder but what everyone forgets so quickly is that he's always had the talent and he's done the work to get better at the other facets of the game. He's not a liability defensively and he's pretty strong on his skates. Now let's reward him FFS and put him in the top 6 where he can actually shine.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Kesler looked quite good with Daniel Sedin. Say what you want but this wouldn't be to bad.

Burrows - H.Sedin - Kassian
D.Sedin - Kesler - Booth

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Agreed. I really want Schroeder to get a good solid chance in the top 6. Look at all these other teams getting meaningful contributions from their young players. I know most people here don't think too much of Schroeder but what everyone forgets so quickly is that he's always had the talent and he's done the work to get better at the other facets of the game. He's not a liability defensively and he's pretty strong on his skates. Now let's reward him FFS and put him in the top 6 where he can actually shine.

I would like to see Booth-Kesler-Schroeder as our 2nd line.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I love how you blame the one guy on the 2nd line who has actually managed to score at a decent clip over the last three years for being our main problem.

Teams pay guys $2.5M-$5M to be good secondary scorers. In recent years we've had guys like Kesler, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Sturm, and Booth fit into those slots. For the most part, except for Samuelsson and Kesler when healthy, none did very well here. Kesler right now IMO needs to be better defensively, his timing and hand-eye seem a little off however if Higgins finished a few of the amazing chances he got this year, our second line would be looking really good unfortunately, that might be a constant problem with Higgins.

It's like you didn't even read this thread. Kesler, to be considered the "elite" player that we make him out to be needs to makes his line-mates better. He may be the only one scoring, but that's not because his teammates suck. It's because he is incredibly terrible to play with.

That level of a player is perhaps a Bobby Ryan? If this team needs to find a Bobby Ryan to get Kesler going, then the issue isn't finding that perfect/specific linemate, its Kesler himself.

I'm not sure what the talk about him is internally. What Gillis and management think he needs. But if they were after a pure playmaker, Parenteau and Tanguay were options. If they wanted a sniper, Ryder and other options were available. They also tried Roy with him, and we know they had interest in Clowe. Point being, they don't seem too concerned with finding the perfect linemate for him. And I think that's prudent because who knows what will work with him at this point? He's such a solo player.

They've tried many players with him, and the two times he's excelled at making plays was with Sundin, and his 50 assist campaign with Raymond and Samuelsson. Yet, even in that 50 assist run, I distinctly remember conversations where posters still didn't like his passing game. So a HOFer was able to pull the best 'interplay' out of him... Not too surprising.

Pavelski is the same age, a soon-to-be 6m dollar player, and he plays 3C for his team. SJ's plethora of Cs allows for this to happen. Given the same influx of centre talent here, perhaps the Canucks can do the same with Kesler. It would certainly allow the team to be less reliant on him for offense. Maybe that's the way to go. Even if he picks it up, I'm not sure I would trust his offense. So maybe get another C to take over 2nd line duties?

I completely agree with this post. The bolded is what I've said all along.

When does a 1st line have to be broken up to support a 2nd line? Kane moved to play with Sharp, and Hossa with Toews, and then back again. Marleau and Pavelski were moved off the 1st line in SJ to form a Marleau-Couture 2nd line, and a better 3rd line. It happens... if you have the personnel to do it.

Right now, I think the Canucks are banking heavily on Schroeder/Dalpe being able to centre another useful offensive line. That's the quick and easy way the pressure gets taken off that 2nd line. If they don't, then maybe something has to be done.

Those are not the same situations. Neither of those situations required splitting up your most productive (and only productive) line to get one player going.

You are assuming I mean to insinuate Kesler has been good and only boggled down by his linemates - the typical narrative. I am not, and in fact agree he needs to step up his game. I am merely providing my theory on why he is struggling.

You are wrong. I've never said his linemates are boggling him. I'm saying he's anchoring his linemates down. I find it ridiculous that we need to find him another star line-mate for us to succeed. The star himself should be making his line-mates better.

There are teams in the league that wouldn't mind having Hansen, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Booth, Kassian on our second line. Apparently, as soon as they play on our second line they're useless.

Also as much as you want to say Hemsky and Camallari aren't 1st liners, they are. They may be tweeners, but they are still players that would immediately get tried in the top 6. We can't afford that, and we simply can't afford to do that to get one player going. Only if we restructure the team (more capspace to forwards less to defense), can we see what you want.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I think putting him with Daniel should improve him. He's playing on an AMEX line with barely any scoring from Booth and Higgins.

He's playing with Booth, a player who has been better than him by far this season (I don't expect that to stay that way), and Higgins who has been buzzing but snake bit.

He's been the weakest link on that line.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He's playing with Booth, a player who has been better than him by far this season (I don't expect that to stay that way), and Higgins who has been buzzing but snake bit.

He's been the weakest link on that line.

That's just a matter of opinion. Booth may have a better start so far he's been far from "way better" Take a look at other elite two-way players they all play with much, much better line-mates. Toews has Kane, Richards has Carter, Bergeron has Marchand. Kesler has never played with a player of that magnitude, he usually caries his line, it's been 4 freakin' games relax.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
That's just a matter of opinion. Booth may have a better start so far he's been far from "way better" Take a look at other elite two-way players they all play with much, much better line-mates. Toews has Kane, Richards has Carter, Bergeron has Marchand. Kesler has never played with a player of that magnitude, he usually caries his line, it's been 4 freakin' games relax.

Richards and Bergeron play with a variety of players throughout the year. They make their teammates better. I concede Toews.

It's not 4 games. I've been complaining for 4 years :laugh:.

You and I can agree to disagree. I'm just happy that other posters have started to see what I've been seeing for awhile.

Not so thinly veiled brag

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
kesler will eventually post adequate production simply as a by-product of being part of the 1st unit powerplay, which was a big factor in his 40-goal season anyways

at even strength he's still outchancing the opposition, and he's a couple snakebitten chris higgins moments away from having a few more points

it's a long season...if it's olympic time and kesler shows no improvement in his skating, and becomes a liability for the united states on the big ice in sochi, then serious red flags can be raised on how permanently disabling the prior injuries were

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Richards and Bergeron play with a variety of players throughout the year. They make their teammates better. I concede Toews.

It's not 4 games. I've been complaining for 4 years :laugh:.

You and I can agree to disagree. I'm just happy that other posters have started to see what I've been seeing for awhile.

Not so thinly veiled brag

Yes they do but both Marchand and Carter have been constants on both players lines. Kesler also makes him line-mates better, both Raymond and Samuelsson had career years playing with Kesler. Kesler has scored 75, 73, 52*, 63* points the last 4 years which averages to a 66 point pace, which is above average 2nd line production. This while being among the best two-way centres in hockey. Seriously, this team has much bigger problems than Ryan Kesler. Just for comparison sake here's Begeron and M.Richards stats over the past 4 years.

Richards: 55, 51, 66, 62 = 59 point average
Bergeron: 62, 64, 58, 59 = 61 point average

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Yes they do but both Marchand and Carter have been constants on both players lines. Kesler also makes him line-mates better, both Raymond and Samuelsson had career years playing with Kesler. Kesler has scored 75, 73, 52*, 63* points the last 4 years which averages to a 66 point pace, which is above average 2nd line production. This while being among the best two-way centres in hockey. Seriously, this team has much bigger problems than Ryan Kesler. Just for comparison sake here's Begeron and M.Richards stats over the past 4 years.

Richards: 55, 51, 66, 62 = 59 point average
Bergeron: 62, 64, 58, 59 = 61 point average

Samuelsson and Raymond had career years in 2010 when Kesler's head wasn't bigger than the team. There is also no way you can convince me to take Kesler over any of those two players.

Neither of those players play first unit PP either.

Just to add, It's almost a guarantee that Kesler scores 3pt's tomorrow and ends up "point per game".

You're also not going to be able to give me a convincing argument about our "other bigger problems on this team". We have a shotty 4th line?

Our problems all revolve around "secondary scoring". Kesler doesn't do that well enough to garner this "elite status" he's somehow earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad