Ryan Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
At times he is one of my favourite players. At times he pisses me off.

When he is in beast mode, he is one of the most effective players in the league (witness the Selke year) but when he is not he is the notorious helicopter center who operates without wings.

He ha a great shot, but sometimes uses it inappropriately.

He plays balls to the wall, but that has caused him some severe injuries. He often gets accused of diving and whining.

He says he is coming into camp healthy for the first time in two years.

And he is one of the guys with something to prove this year.

He had a coming out in the Vancouver Olympic year.

Can he still do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think he can, he's one of our best players so he's going to have too.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
He's more fragile than salo :( I don have confidence he can stay healthy throughout a 82 game season.

If he stays healthy I hope for amazing 2 way play with 25 goals and around 50 points

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
assuming he stays healthy, would i be expecting too much if i expect him to score around ~60points with 15+goals?

anything above that will be excellent season for him....

Cant tell if serious. If Kesler plays the entire year it'd be a disappointment if he scored less than 25 goals. He should be a 30 goal scorer.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
He's more fragile than salo :( I don have confidence he can stay healthy throughout a 82 game season.

If he stays healthy I hope for amazing 2 way play with 25 goals and around 50 points

He gets hurt because of the way he plays.

Salo gets hurt because

35684632.jpg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Kesler can't really prevent his injuries, and you can't tell him to not play hard either. Just have to hope he can stay healthy. If so, I expect 25-30 goals while being the dominate two-way player he can be and has showed.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I am expecting a 30-40-70 spread, or thereabouts, with his usual Selke level defense. Assuming he remains healthy all year. Who knows, given it's an Olympic year and he has a lot to prove. That motivation may just carry him into another explosive season. Kesler's biggest problem comes from not trusting his wingers. We know he and Burrows have worked well together, likewise with Booth. So hopefully the three of them form quick chemistry.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
goes without saying but he seriously needs to find a gear between "beast" and "useless", especially for the reg season

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This, why they put him on the point/high slot is beyond me.

Because they need a right hand shot on the point so they're not as predictable with just feeding Edler and Garrison for one timers. In front of the net he gets worn down, I'd rather see Kassian there.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Because they need a right hand shot on the point so they're not as predictable with just feeding Edler and Garrison for one timers. In front of the net he gets worn down, I'd rather see Kassian there.

Kesler is far more effective in front of the net than Kassian or Kesler on the point. I understand that he is somewhat fragile, but what makes Kesler who he is, is the style of play which does lend itself to injuries. Trying to coddle him will only take away his effectiveness. Play Weber on the point, or even Bieksa with Garrison.

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Edler/Garrison- Weber

or

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Garrison Bieksa

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Kesler is far more effective in front of the net than Kassian or Kesler on the point. I understand that he is somewhat fragile, but what makes Kesler who he is, is the style of play which does lend itself to injuries. Trying to coddle him will only take away his effectiveness. Play Weber on the point, or even Bieksa with Garrison.

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Edler/Garrison- Weber

or

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Garrison Bieksa

Not saying I supported it, just saying why they likely put him there because constantly feeding Garrison/Edler one timers was quickly being shutdown so the predictability went away when Kesler was placed on the point because he has a bomb of a shot too.

Not sure how I feel about Bieksa/Weber on the point as they'd just be feeding Edler/Garrison onetimers anyways. I'd like to see Kassian in front of the net one way or another on the PP because he's effective in front of the net as well. Burrows has looked terrible on the PP, for whatever reason that is, so I'd prefer him to not be in front of the net.

Wizeman*

I expect him to snipe 30 goals + and contend for the Selke. Yes he has something to prove this year. So do a lot of the Canucks.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Hate to say it, but the one time Edler and Bieksa may work together is on the powerplay. I'm actually surprised they never tried that, unless I am drawing a blank here. Anywho, I want to see Sedin/Sedin/Kesler/Edler/Garrison for a while first before ruling it out.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I expect him to snipe 30 goals + and contend for the Selke. Yes he has something to prove this year. So do a lot of the Canucks.

I don't know if I've ever seen a Canuck team with this many players with something to prove.

Whether it's vets expected/hoped to bounce back (Kesler, Lou, the Sedins, Higgins, Booth, Edler and Bieksa) to young guys (Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev) expected to step up; to rookies who hope to make the team (Lack, Horvat, Gaunce and Jensen).

This may not be a complete list, but it shows we have a significant chunk of the team with something to prove.

The good part is, guys like Kesler, if they do prove it, ascend to elite levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad