Player Discussion Ryan Dzingel

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Love Dzinger but...

I think if Karlsson decides not to re-sign Dzingel will become a big piece of the rebuild plan. He's perfect trade bait for any contending team that's tight against the cap. Even as a 1 year rental he's still great value at a $1.8M cap hit. His speed and newfound scoring touch make him a versatile player that can play in the top-6 or on the PK. Im not saying we'll get a huge haul for him but we should try to turn him into some draft capital while he's at peak value.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Love Dzinger but...

I think if Karlsson decides not to re-sign Dzingel will become a big piece of the rebuild plan. He's perfect trade bait for any contending team that's tight against the cap. Even as a 1 year rental he's still great value at a $1.8M cap hit. His speed and newfound scoring touch make him a versatile player that can play in the top-6 or on the PK. Im not saying we'll get a huge haul for him but we should try to turn him into some draft capital while he's at peak value.
I'd rather just sign him to a bridge extension now and put him with Duchene or Stone for a year. His skills are obvious I don't see him falling off a cliff.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Right, I meant like a 2-3 year prove it extension.
That's what his current deal is.

If he can keep up what he did this year we should be able to net about a first rounder for him from a contender which will be nice cause we won't have our own first.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
That's what his current deal is.

If he can keep up what he did this year we should be able to net about a first rounder for him from a contender which will be nice cause we won't have our own first.
I don't see the point in developing late picks for 8 years only to flip them for a pick and hope they become a similar player. I'd rather just keep Dzingel, he shouldn't be too expensive and meshes well with our current forwards.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't see the point in developing late picks for 8 years only to flip them for a pick and hope they become a similar player. I'd rather just keep Dzingel, he shouldn't be too expensive and meshes well with our current forwards.
Oh, well thinking he's not going to be expensive is where you're going amiss here. He'll easily get 4+ probably 5 if he has another year like this one as an UFA. We just aren't going to have the money to sign him without massive cuts elsewhere. That's the whole nature of our position as such a cash poor team under Melnyk.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Oh, well thinking he's not going to be expensive is where you're going amiss here. He'll easily get 4+ probably 5 if he has another year like this one as an UFA. We just aren't going to have the money to sign him without massive cuts elsewhere. That's the whole nature of our position as such a cash poor team under Melnyk.
Ya I understand where you're coming from. I see him at about 4 mill per but ya, if it's much more than that then I agree it isn't worth the risk of him not repeating.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ya I understand where you're coming from. I see him at about 4 mill per but ya, if it's much more than that then I agree it isn't worth the risk of him not repeating.
4m is like minimum though on a 5 or 6 year deal. If he hits the open market he can get way more on a 3 or 4 year deal.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
His hands didn’t start magically working. He just couldn’t finish last season and has a weak shot.

He definitely did start playing with more confidence and patience with the puck. He's not scared to hold on to the puck and make plays. Those are good signs if you're hoping for a top 6 winger.

He looks like what we were hoping from regin after the pittsburgh playoff series a few years ago.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Thread bump. I totally dig Dangle Dzingel, last year was great but I believe he will be as good if not better this time around. Each season this guy has improved his game.

Hope the Sens can sign the Big3 and lock up Dzingel too before he becomes too expensive.

Zedrow

Nov 25, 2009
Sudbury
I've been a huge fan of Dzingel's, even back when he was compared to Kelly (stone hands) because he couldn't finish but was always able to get the puck. Now that we have a better Kelly we should keep him. How many PKs did we have with Kelly getting possession only to shoot at the goalie's pads? Now we have a finisher too.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Any thoughts on what his number is going to be? I understand if they don't want to shell out too much for him. But he's going to cash in if he keeps up this pace. Should have signed him in the offseason.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
4x4 is probably the minimum if he has another 20 goal season. If he puts up 55-60 points or 30 goals, that amount increases. He's a very difficult contract to predict because there aren't a lot of late bloomers whose numbers have progressively climbed like his have over 3 seasons in their mid 20s. Guys like Hoffman and Marchessault had prime offensive seasons out of the gate and just had to prove it a second time to get paid. Dzingel had 3rd line numbers as a rookie+sophomore, low end 2nd line numbers in year 3 (with a high shooting percentage), and now is producing like a 1st liner (small sample size) with an even greater shooting percentage along with an absurdly high amount of shots taken compared to his career average.

Watching him, I don't think he's a guy who a budget team should pay top 6 money to. He is a complimentary guy whose going to have a long career as a 15-20 goal scorer who pops a few big seasons. His skating helps him create, but he doesn't have high enough skill or vision at full speed to sustain these first line type numbers. We should hope he finishes with these inflated numbers so that we can get the best possible return for him at the deadline.

Reactions: h2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad