Player Discussion Ryan Dzingel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trade him at the deadline for a good asset (1st or 2nd+prospect) and allocate the 3.5-4.5M he'd get towards the D.
Whats the actual point of this, just creates a hole up front. They have so much cap space. They need to sign him. He gets better every season, his shots way better now and so is his patience with the puck.

Reactions: BondraTime

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Dzingel had 3rd line numbers as a rookie+sophomore, low end 2nd line numbers in year 3 (with a high shooting percentage), and now is producing like a 1st liner (small sample size) with an even greater shooting percentage along with an absurdly high amount of shots taken compared to his career average.

Watching him, I don't think he's a guy who a budget team should pay top 6 money to. He is a complimentary guy whose going to have a long career as a 15-20 goal scorer who pops a few big seasons. His skating helps him create, but he doesn't have high enough skill or vision at full speed to sustain these first line type numbers. We should hope he finishes with these inflated numbers so that we can get the best possible return for him at the deadline.

I think people sometimes forget just low scoring numbers are, and lets also take into account he lays LW, a position notoriously hard to fill at the NHL level.

2017 - 48th highest scoring LW for goals and points, thats a mid level 2nd liner numbers.
2018 - 33rd highest scoring LW, 22nd for goals, You are talking a very high end second liner, border line first liner.
2019 - 14th in scoring, 5th for goals, definitely better than average 1st line winger.

And adding all three season is he is 38th in scoring, 22nd in goals.

His intangibles are not the greatest but from a production point of view, he has easily shown himself to have developed into a very high end 2nd line LW and may very well now be an average 1st line winger in todays NHL. I think he is in line for a 5Mx6 minimum.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah I don't think he's signing here. He's a good old all 'Merican frat boy who wants to head back to the midwest IMO. Somewhere like Chicago, STL, or Columbus.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Whats the actual point of this, just creates a hole up front. They have so much cap space. They need to sign him. He gets better every season, his shots way better now and so is his patience with the puck.

Cap space? What's that?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think people sometimes forget just low scoring numbers are, and lets also take into account he lays LW, a position notoriously hard to fill at the NHL level.

2017 - 48th highest scoring LW for goals and points, thats a mid level 2nd liner numbers.
2018 - 33rd highest scoring LW, 22nd for goals, You are talking a very high end second liner, border line first liner.
2019 - 14th in scoring, 5th for goals, definitely better than average 1st line winger.

And adding all three season is he is 38th in scoring, 22nd in goals.

His intangibles are not the greatest but from a production point of view, he has easily shown himself to have developed into a very high end 2nd line LW and may very well now be an average 1st line winger in todays NHL. I think he is in line for a 5Mx6 minimum.

I don't like only looking at LW or RW, because wingers especially play multiple positions these days. Lots of centers play C+W.

I looked on NHL.com, in 16-17 he was 201 in points per game among forwards with 50 games or more.

Last year, he was 141.

Beong ranked 186 would be the cutoff for top 6 production with 31 teams, 93 would be first line production. Obviously it's not that black and white, there can be clusters of guys with similar production beyond that.

I looked at the numbers just to see if I was out of touch with production, and I don't think I am in this case. At best, I'd maybe say calling him a low end second line producer was a poor choice of words, maybe a typical 2nd line producer last year would have been more appropriate since hes close to the mid point of the 93rd and 186th most productive forwards.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I don't think he's signing here. He's a good old all 'Merican frat boy who wants to head back to the midwest IMO. Somewhere like Chicago, STL, or Columbus.

Might want to play the the organization that took at chance on him as a 7th round pick and actually developed him properly to the point where he is going to get a great and well deserved pay day.

I find it shocking around here people are suggesting that avoiding him getting paid what he is worth a blessing in disguise when he has been on a constant up tick. Development is not the same for all players and his curve is extending into his late 20's. For a player that is 26 he actually hasn't played alot of hockey and he doesnt play a game thats hard on his body. He has only played 325 pro games, he played 3 seasons in college never more than 40 games and started playing Jr at 17 years old. Not to mention his game is tailored for the new NHL.

Id happily give him a 5 year 22 million dollar deal of an annual cap hit of 4.5 Million.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't like only looking at LW or RW, because wingers especially play multiple positions these days. Lots of centers play C+W.

I looked on NHL.com, in 16-17 he was 201 in points per game among forwards with 50 games or more.

Last year, he was 141.

Beong ranked 186 would be the cutoff for top 6 production with 31 teams, 93 would be first line production. Obviously it's not that black and white, there can be clusters of guys with similar production beyond that.

I looked at the numbers just to see if I was out of touch with production, and I don't think I am in this case. At best, I'd maybe say calling him a low end second line producer was a poor choice of words, maybe a typical 2nd line producer last year would have been more appropriate since hes close to the mid point of the 93rd and 186th most productive forwards.

This is all good and fine if you only look at points as a way to evaluate a player but it doesnt give an accurate depiction of Dzingel or the way his career is going.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Might want to play the the organization that took at chance on him as a 7th round pick and actually developed him properly to the point where he is going to get a great and well deserved pay day.

I find it shocking around here people are suggesting that avoiding him getting paid what he is worth a blessing in disguise when he has been on a constant up tick. Development is not the same for all players and his curve is extending into his late 20's. For a player that is 26 he actually hasn't played alot of hockey and he doesnt play a game thats hard on his body. He has only played 325 pro games, he played 3 seasons in college never more than 40 games and started playing Jr at 17 years old. Not to mention his game is tailored for the new NHL.

Id happily give him a 5 year 22 million dollar deal of an annual cap hit of 4.5 Million.

I think he is a big lifestyle kind of guy and Ottawa as a city can't offer what he wants. His GF is a golf pro and he probably wants to be able to spend time with her year round as well. Golf doesn't happen year round in Ottawa.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think he is a big lifestyle kind of guy and Ottawa as a city can't offer what he wants. His GF is a golf pro and he probably wants to be able to spend time with her year round as well. Golf doesn't happen year round in Ottawa.

Players dont go out in their home town cities almost at all anymore in the NHL, simply not worth it and he doesnt have to live in Ottawa year round. Sometimes when you are comfortable in a place and you are producing, havent played anywhere else and know your role on a team 22 million sounds pretty good is all im saying.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

hell truly has frozen over....you and i agree on something

Reactions: Ice-Tray

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Yep ,same ...He is a top 9 forward that can pot 20 consistantly

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If it comes down to $ which is likely, I would rather resign Dzingel than resign Ceci for about the same money. Ceci may play the more important position but I think Dzingel's play warrants the contract where Ceci's does not.

Reactions: Clayonator

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If it comes down to $ which is likely, I would rather resign Dzingel than resign Ceci for about the same money. Ceci may play the more important position but I think Dzingel's play warrants the contract where Ceci's does not.
Yeah ,Ceci should go if not only for his sake...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m into trading Dzingel. Good player, soft on the puck, not worth the $5 million it’ll cost to keep him.

Can get a 1st round + for him.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Last year, he was 141.

I tend to look more at positions, but fair enough. I think what you tend to see is the centers will dominate the point totals, so its not always fair to compare wingers to centers, which is where I am coming from. As for playing off wing, it does happen, certainly a lot on the PP, but its not ideal. It is what makes RHD so valuable in this league. Even at center, many teams want left hand shots if they can get them, there are less of them.

So I think anytime you are dealing with a lesser available commodity (LW, RHD, LHC), the value increases to most teams.

I also wanted to point out that the vast majority of fans really overestimate what it takes for scoring to be slotted in certain positions. Its not exact, but last year a top 3 forward technically was at 51 points or higher, 34 points made you top 6, and 22 points made you top 9. Yeah, injuries boost the bottom guys up, like I said its not exact, but it should help temper expectations as to what these players provide.

Even on D people would be very very surprised. 8 points got you top 6 last year. 16 points got you top 4. And 27 points got you first pairing.

Rough production numbers, but I always find people vastly overestimate just how little scoring happens outside of the top lines.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think we should keep him, show the fan base that we reward our home grown talent, show the players that we are interested in not only development and short term relationships, but long term success.

When we keep a hold of our own guys we can start setting of a salary structure that is based on mutual loyalty and respect, rather than having to constantly scour the UFA market for mercenaries that are almost always overpaid.

I think we need to keep the type of players that reflect what kind of team we want to be. A guy like Dzingle shouldn't cost 'too much', is a fast scoring winger who like to drive towards the net, was a late bloomer, late pick who we took a chance on and stuck with. He also seems to be a hero with the kids in the local community, and is of an age where he can fit in with Stone and Duchene as our elder statesmen.

In the 5 million range with some term would be worth it in my opinion.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Package Ceci, Dzingel and another player we won’t need in the future for the best D-man possible. Of course, they’ll have to agree to extend with that team; don’t trade them as rentals.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I’m into trading Dzingel. Good player, soft on the puck, not worth the $5 million it’ll cost to keep him.

Can get a 1st round + for him.

Oh yay that's cool and in the small chance that the 1st rounder even comes close to the player that Dzingel is in 5 years, are we gonna trade that asset too for a future because we can't afford $5M player?

The viscous cycle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad