Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Cally is following a few new and old teammates already but he forgot about Drej

(and Boyle and Drouin but that's not as fun to point out).

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was watching some old games, and this came up, so weird now seeing this...

Anyway Callafans should enjoy.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was thinking it was new Cally burning his old team with a couple goals. Me no likey!

LOL, yeah, I have been watching the Tampa games on youtube and this one came up in the search. But it was a pretty goal though so had to share, even if was against Tampa.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
It was a nice goal, and that it was a pass to Marty that he stole makes it a bit of fun at least.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Friggin Carle always on the wrong end of the turnovers...god he sucks.

It's just weird hearing Rick announce his goal, now its like Callahan Scooooooooooores!!!!! Will say it again, so glad that trade happen. I just want to enjoy Cally here hopefully he can have some career seasons while still in his prime and hopefully he is here for his entire contract, and maybe gets a gig in the organization. Would be awesome if he retires as a Bolt. It's why the Stamkos contract is getting me nervous, but there is about 20 million than can come off the books before even getting to Cally. I'm really concerned about his last year. It's another reason I want him in the top 6, to justify that contract and show he can still bring it into his mid 30's.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can watch this goal and play over and over...

Amazing pass by Hedman, and an amazing rip by Cally.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
In the ‘around the NHL’ thread we spoke a bit about what his former teammates on NYR learned from him and I found this old article from the playoffs and thought it was nice.

I took out the parts about Cally.

McDonagh is a lead-by-example captain. He and Ryan Callahan are different people, but McDonagh certainly learned an aspect of that “do as I do†demeanor from the former Ranger captain who now wears an “A†for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“Just that accountability, that trust-ability of your teammates, really, making sure you do your part and you don’t try and extend and do too much,†McDonagh said of what he took from Callahan’s example from September 2011 to March 2014. “Obviously a few guys are expected to play a bit more of a role here and there, but you need everybody to pull their weight and be prepared to play the way they need to play.â€

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...-captain-lesson-predecessor-article-1.2226185

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I saw that he's getting one and I'm curies about what it will be about, I mean most other hockey players that has them have them mostly to help their charities but Cally hasn't founded one (he's been part of many and always seem happy to do it but he hasn't created one, yet anyway) or if it's like a fan site...possibly it's something that he's done to start networking for the future which is also a great thing, guess we'll see opening night.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Was watching some old games, and this came up, so weird now seeing this...

Anyway Callafans should enjoy.

Everything about that videos stirred weird emotions. I remember watching that goal happen, and just feeling that it was going to be a rough season. I also was assembling an arcade style basketball net for my apartment that we got for 10 bucks at Target at the time... it was a weird day haha.

But ya, how strange. A Louis turnover, Cally burning Carle and Brewer... strange to see how little changed in time.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Everything about that videos stirred weird emotions. I remember watching that goal happen, and just feeling that it was going to be a rough season. I also was assembling an arcade style basketball net for my apartment that we got for 10 bucks at Target at the time... it was a weird day haha.

But ya, how strange. A Louis turnover, Cally burning Carle and Brewer... strange to see how little changed in time.

Well it's a good thing that Cally is still making those moves with the Bolts now, for Carle not so much. lol.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
after watching those clips, I can't imagine Cally not being in the top six

Has been my argument all summer. A player who nets 54 points in less than a full season played should have no doubts being on any teams top 6. But the issue remains with the 3rd line. I would mind him on the 3rd line so much if he had a center like Flip rather than Paquette on there, and was getting top PP time with some PK time.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Has been my argument all summer. A player who nets 54 points in less than a full season played should have no doubts being on any teams top 6. But the issue remains with the 3rd line. I would mind him on the 3rd line so much if he had a center like Flip rather than Paquette on there, and was getting top PP time with some PK time.

disagree 100 percent on this team and here is why

triplets ppg line
stamkos drouin x close to ppg and 60 is below that so say he is 60 point player but we bring up next year point and that line is a ppg line? two lines at ppg what would make him part of the top two lines then? Nothing

we just have more talent then other teams is that simple so even if he gets one more year at top line stamkos line which i see killorn getting that role he wont have it the year after

and having a callahan flipper paquette or condra line for me as a shut down third line that gets 0.5 to 0.6 a game? wow who can really compete with that?

i do want him getting minutes on pp though not sure on pk if erne or point can do a role like that in future protect him he showed his true value in playoffs he was really only guy once johnson went down for me to truly impress me all the time he seriously changed momentum

why really want to see a top shut down la type of a line with him in time

this year he probably is with stamkos and drouin most of the time see what he does me personally id prefer killorn top line callahan third line with flip cause want and desire a truly game changing third line lol

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
disagree 100 percent on this team and here is why

triplets ppg line
stamkos drouin x close to ppg and 60 is below that so say he is 60 point player but we bring up next year point and that line is a ppg line? two lines at ppg what would make him part of the top two lines then? Nothing

we just have more talent then other teams is that simple so even if he gets one more year at top line stamkos line which i see killorn getting that role he wont have it the year after

and having a callahan flipper paquette or condra line for me as a shut down third line that gets 0.5 to 0.6 a game? wow who can really compete with that?

i do want him getting minutes on pp though not sure on pk if erne or point can do a role like that in future protect him he showed his true value in playoffs he was really only guy once johnson went down for me to truly impress me all the time he seriously changed momentum

why really want to see a top shut down la type of a line with him in time

this year he probably is with stamkos and drouin most of the time see what he does me personally id prefer killorn top line callahan third line with flip cause want and desire a truly game changing third line lol

I think the season will start with Killorn - Stamkos - Callahan. Killorn and Cally work very well together, and when Stamkos gets a little dirty that line works but that is not Stamkos game, you throw Drouin up there and it's a different line and Stamkos can have that play-maker/possession guy while the other winger does the dirty work for them.

I'm not too concerned with what people speculate here, because Cally has a lot of pride , and when he is on the 3rd line he always finds a way to get back into the top 6, so I'm not concerned to be honest. He admitted he loves playing on Stamkos' wing.

As per the PK, if he is not getting PK time it is pretty contradicting if he is in a 3rd line shutdown role. Coop is likely going to yo yo these guys from the Stamkos and 3rd line, only thing, do not put Flip with Stamkos anymore. They do not work well together.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think the season will start with Killorn - Stamkos - Callahan. Killorn and Cally work very well together, and when Stamkos gets a little dirty that line works but that is not Stamkos game, you throw Drouin up there and it's a different line and Stamkos can have that play-maker/possession guy while the other winger does the dirty work for them.

I'm not too concerned with what people speculate here, because Cally has a lot of pride , and when he is on the 3rd line he always finds a way to get back into the top 6, so I'm not concerned to be honest. He admitted he loves playing on Stamkos' wing.

As per the PK, if he is not getting PK time it is pretty contradicting if he is in a 3rd line shutdown role. Coop is likely going to yo yo these guys from the Stamkos and 3rd line, only thing, do not put Flip with Stamkos anymore. They do not work well together.

my thought is tyjo palat on one pk with stralman hedman and paquette boyle on other since have condra and flip put them on pk above callahan let him sit at net first team power play and be a difference maker there which i feel he is

erne might get there someday

i am really liking points play and think he earns a cup of coffee sooner over later kid is fun to watch think him stamkos drouin at some point will be a good line

i get we dont have a chaser for pucks like that just the vision of those two i think drouin point would be crazy good on puck possession

i was all for kucherov stamkos drouin with points play am changing a direction a bit that kid is good exciting

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The one time I can picture Coop really experimenting with lines is in the pre-season, so we probably will get a couple of looks and Drouin-Stamkos there. But if they don't click immediately, I think the smart money is indeed on Killorn-Stamkos-Callahan to start the season.

Management made a couple of statements over the summer that would point us to believe Drouin is 100% on the team, although I still wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up in the AHL for a stint. We know Coop loves the AHL and we know Yzerman doesn't want Drouin playing 8 minutes per night and being a healthy scratch. So something just might have to give there.

I think we'll see the season start with:

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Stamkos-Callahan
Drouin-Filppula-X (Namestnikov?)

If things work out, by mid-season we'd have:

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
X-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan

If we end up with those lines, or something similar to those lines, it probably means players are performing.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The one time I can picture Coop really experimenting with lines is in the pre-season, so we probably will get a couple of looks and Drouin-Stamkos there. But if they don't click immediately, I think the smart money is indeed on Killorn-Stamkos-Callahan to start the season.

Management made a couple of statements over the summer that would point us to believe Drouin is 100% on the team, although I still wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up in the AHL for a stint. We know Coop loves the AHL and we know Yzerman doesn't want Drouin playing 8 minutes per night and being a healthy scratch. So something just might have to give there.

I think we'll see the season start with:

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Stamkos-Callahan
Drouin-Filppula-X (Namestnikov?)

If things work out, by mid-season we'd have:

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
X-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan

If we end up with those lines, or something similar to those lines, it probably means players are performing.

Re-watching a lot of the games from the regular season, and I've seen that Killorn and Callahan have excellent chemisty they have also have become good friends off the ice, and Killorn has seemed to raise his game because of the influence of Cally. I would try and keep these guys together.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Looks like Cally will wear the permanant 'A' this season, not that it comes as a big surprise but while he wore it pretty much every game last season it was never confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad