Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I say give Callahan what he wants too. To a degree, of course...
Give him Filppula money, maybe slightly more. $5.5 X 5yr, NTC. That, plus being on an up-and-coming team in a very temperate region (with no state income tax to boot...) should keep him around.

If he would have taken 5.5x5, he would still be a Ranger. Last rumors were Sather offered 6x6 or 6x7 and Callahan wouldn't budge from 6.5, all with a NMC.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he would have taken 5.5x5, he would still be a Ranger. Last rumors were Sather offered 6x6 or 6x7 and Callahan wouldn't budge from 6.5, all with a NMC.

No state income tax. Callahan's agent said that was something they'd take into consideration (like everyone else) when coming up with a number.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No state income tax. Callahan's agent said that was something they'd take into consideration (like everyone else) when coming up with a number.

Yeah pretty much. It's about a 10% discount he said. So figure if he took 6.0 million here or a little less, it would be like him taking around 6.5 Million in NY.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
6 x 6 was the number he would take and they squabbled over the ntc.

Sather did not want to sign him is basically what happened when ryan and agent said ok lets play ball they thought the deal was done but sather played him.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
6 x 6 was the number he would take and they squabbled over the ntc.

Sather did not want to sign him is basically what happened when ryan and agent said ok lets play ball they thought the deal was done but sather played him.

Nice revisionist history.

Callahan and his agent played chicken with Sather. Don't forget that his initial request was for 7.5 million. And a NMC for a player like Cally is crazy in today's world - you guys have seen him play, and you've seen his injury history. No one is saying is on the decline now, but in 5 years? It's a huge risk.

Every Rangers fan wanted him to stay. But not at the terms he was asking for.

I'm glad he is doing well, and glad you guys like him. He's a great player. And maybe he learned from the last negotiation and his demands will go down. But he was shooting for the sky in NY and it backfired.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Callahan and his agent played chicken with Sather. Don't forget that his initial request was for 7.5 million. And a NMC for a player like Cally is crazy in today's world - you guys have seen him play, and you've seen his injury history. No one is saying is on the decline now, but in 5 years? It's a huge risk.

I'm glad he is doing well, and glad you guys like him. He's a great player. And maybe he learned from the last negotiation and his demands will go down. But he was shooting for the sky in NY and it backfired.

I think Tampa can give him something similar to the Rangers last offer, but with a fair NTC, and maybe modified the last 2 years, to protect the team if he does decline.

Rangers are stuck with Richards for another 6 years, at 6.7 Million in cap space. So it was likely another reason Cally did not get his deal. If Cally can hit 40 points this season, it will end up being a strong solid season for him. If he hits 20 goals, will be remarkable!

AV did not utilize him correct, short shifts, little and actually no time on the PP for several games hurt his production. Cooper is playing Cally like Torts used to do, and it is paying off so far.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

You are saying revisionist as in theory and one side? They came to terms is the leak and is a big leak since is what came out of agents mouth and callahans. They argued on closing.

So if Sather gets them down to 6x6 and doesnt close when agent and callahan think is closed? That one is a shocker.

To me that says sather really didnt want to close the deal. Once the money is done the deal has to be done? The rest is kinda easy to get by imho.

So whether was concerns whether he really wanted marty the whole time? Whether he doesnt see having the money with richards?

Still wondering myself if you buy him out?

Something made a deal not get done that was finally agreed upon cause they went down to the 6x6 so is very odd indeed and I would assume now is a lot of bad blood.

I am unsure we can sign him if is all about money hes gone. We will go to certain amount but I dont see 7 years and 7 million myself.

Will say we truly needed a power forward someone at the net. That he plays the defensive game he plays is truly wonderful. He fits in cause we have no one like him truly so will not hold back anyone of the kids coming who will take a position in the future. He can help a ton a couple guys if we can keep him in the future with connolly panik and in time erne on how to play that position and truly help this team.

Also his mentality on how to play is different that others we have two examples of guys whom have actually hurt this team in ways is purcell who will not get physical whatsoever and plays puck possession I blame purcell for Killorn's change of game and killer needs to change back to the kid he was and be the player he was at one point and than add a little move to trick a goalie here and there using what teddy has shown him. Become more aggressive north south move puck quicker and drive the net more like he used to keep it simple stupid:) Next is the marty kucherov factor. Marty is a great player and am sure he will be great again for you guys. But his mentality was not good on some kids of always being so serious marty doesnt have a lot of fun when struggles. Kucherov is no longer playing like is fun. Is forgetting that and I blame that on marty and how he played the game. As a leader he showed this to the kids. Some picked it up Kucherov really has and since is struggling is not the happy kucherov even when scores way to serious on ice even off.

Yes have to be totally professional but when score be happy. Celebrate smile move on do it again remember why you play this game.

You can pick up things from each player but you CANNOT BE THAT PLAYER.

I think the youth some of them have done the trying to be someone else. They are young hope they go back to themselves and add in what learn from others on the occasional basis and we will be better for it.

The things callahan shows and does? Those are needed. The carrying the puck instead of working hard on boards stealing pucks did not necessarily help a lot of these younger guys. It did for a bit when allowed them all to become a little better. Yet some are carrying too far not being themselves and stats and eye tests show it.

Callahan is therefore for what we have a better leader and piece in my humble opinion. Learning to go to net and work hard and work the boards are things we need to do overall as a team more often:)

I for one am glad marty is gone at this point. I hate to say that but think his mindset and they way he plays actually can hurt others if you try to mimic him. Think on flip side what callahan does is a lot more of what this team needs to see and mimic.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
To me that says sather really didnt want to close the deal. Once the money is done the deal has to be done? The rest is kinda easy to get by imho.

By all accounts the big piece to Sather was the NMC. He commented publically he wasn't willing to give it, and apparently it was a must-have for Cally.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
I hope you guys do keep Callahan. I watched him the other night in that epic SO game against my Isles. In our GT thread someone mentioned 'watch Stammer get a hat trick tonight', and I had to put my 2 cents in and say 'it won't be Stammer, it'll be Cally'. Sure enough he had two goals, lol. I've watched his game for years when he was a Ranger, envious that they had a guy so hard working, willing to break bones in his body every shift. Now that he's not on the Rangers, I can actually admit he's one of my favorite players to watch in the league. I hope the NYR's loss is TB's gain.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You also gotta think, with the Rangers an NMC is a bigger deal - they'll bury your ass in the minors to save on cap. I don't blame Cally for wanting that, even with the new CBA limiting that.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
You also gotta think, with the Rangers an NMC is a bigger deal - they'll bury your ass in the minors to save on cap. I don't blame Cally for wanting that, even with the new CBA limiting that.

I think it's more about job security after the big trade for Nash. Sather has no problem pulling triggers on big trades (like the MSL one) and Callahan could easily be a coveted piece.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
4B4LYFy.jpg

Ka-ching!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Are Rangers fans aware of how much we love this guy? And how willing we are to meet his price?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are Rangers fans aware of how much we love this guy? And how willing we are to meet his price?

You guys should tell them. They still think Benoit Pouliot is better than Callahan on the PP. :shakehead

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
LOL really? Pouliot has a ton of skill but I have never seen a guy fall unprovoked so many times in my life.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

Holy hell is it ever amazing how a fan base can go from "no way in hell are we trading MSL for Ryan Callahan".......to, "OMG he is the greatest hard nosed player we've ever had".

If you love him now, you're really gonna love him when SY signs him to a 6 year 6.5 million dollar contract and he puts up his 45 points per season. Don't worry though, his work ethic and hard nose style will surely mask the outrageous cost to your teams wallet.

For what its worth, he will be missed in NY.......but not missed at 6.5 million crippling dollars per year.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Holy hell is it ever amazing how a fan base can go from "no way in hell are we trading MSL for Ryan Callahan".......to, "OMG he is the greatest hard nosed player we've ever had".

If you love him now, you're really gonna love him when SY signs him to a 6 year 6.5 million dollar contract and he puts up his 45 points per season. Don't worry though, his work ethic and hard nose style will surely mask the outrageous cost to your teams wallet.

For what its worth, he will be missed in NY.......but not missed at 6.5 million crippling dollars per year.

If SFY signs Callahan to 6.5 million dollars, I wouldn't be very happy with him. But honestly, a million to a half million less, is really not that bad for what he's brought to us. He's been a breath of fresh air and is exactly what we needed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Hey, we're surprised too.

But have you watched the Tampa games?

Maybe Callahan's playing better now than he was in the end with NY, because I have a hard time believing the free-spending Rangers, who are currently paying Brad Richards in first-born babies, got tight with their wallets on the guy currently wearing #24 for TBL.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Hey, we're surprised too.

But have you watched the Tampa games?

Maybe Callahan's playing better now than he was in the end with NY, because I have a hard time believing the free-spending Rangers, who are currently paying Brad Richards in first-born babies, got tight with their wallets on the guy currently wearing #24 for TBL.

I know hes been playing well for you guys, but you dont pay a 45 point, 2nd / 3rd line player 6.5 million dollars a year, i'm sorry, that just bad business in todays NHL. I take it that you dont know the Rangers cap situation either? They have a lot of guys who are going to get raises on their contract extensions in the next year or two. Guys who are putting up better numbers than Cally and defenseman who are going to get paid to stay on the roster becuase of how damn good they are. Cally, at 6.5 million doallars puts a strangle hold on the team. Richards gets bought at a years end and that money will be used to find another higher quality center and somebody to replace cally at a more reasonable price.

Not saying you guys arent gonna like him........but you sure as hell arent gonna like him as much at 6.5 million dollars. Especially on stretches when he goes cold, gets run down and or injured with his style of play and is only putting up 45 points per season. Thats why NY fans said thanks, but no thanks. He will be missed, but its business in a salary cap world that dictates these kinds of moves.

Please see Clarkson, David for further information on overpaid 2nd / 3rd line hard nose players that fall out of favor with their new fan base bc of their over the top salaries for what they produce.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
you dont know the Rangers cap situation do you? They have a lot of guys who are going to get raises on their contract extensions in the next year or two. Guys who are putting up better numbers than Cally and defenseman who are going to get paid to stay on the roster becuase of how damn good they are. Cally, at 6.5 million doallars puts a strangle hold on the team. Richards get bought at a years end and that money will be used to find another 1/2 center.

Not saying you guys arent gonna like him........but you sure as hell arent gonna like him as much at 6.5 million dollars. Especially on stretches when he goes cold, gets run down and or injured with his style of play and is only putting up 45 points per season. Thats why NY fans said thanks, but no thanks. He will be missed, but its business in a salary cap world that dictates these kinds of moves.

Please see Clarkson, David for further information on overpaid 2nd / 3rd line hard nose players that fall out of favor with their new fan base bc of their over the top salaries. Compared to what Cally is asking for, Clarkson is a bargain, lol

Okay, but didn't the Rangers end up getting to within something like 200k of a deal and then it fell through over a NMC? And what bearing does the Rangers cap situation have on Tampa's? We're going to have some cap space coming up.

It's entirely possible that Callahan's contract will become a burden to Tampa much like Ryan Malone's is now. But the way the NHL is going, those things are unavoidable. Players are signing long-term deals for more than anyone believes they're worth, but every deal that is signed becomes a comparable for the next player looking for a contract.

I'm not saying the Rangers should have paid him. But the guy we're seeing right now is a $6 million player. I'm sure he'll have down times and, if we do in fact sign him, I'm sure there will be moments when we wish we had a couple of extra million in cap space. But for us, the pros of having a guy like this on the roster look like they far outweigh the cons. I'm fine with him scoring 45 points if all his intangibles stay intact. We have plenty of scoring to surround him with.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I know hes been playing well for you guys, but you dont pay a 45 point, 2nd / 3rd line player 6.5 million dollars a year, i'm sorry, that just bad business in todays NHL. I take it that you dont know the Rangers cap situation either? They have a lot of guys who are going to get raises on their contract extensions in the next year or two. Guys who are putting up better numbers than Cally and defenseman who are going to get paid to stay on the roster becuase of how damn good they are. Cally, at 6.5 million doallars puts a strangle hold on the team. Richards gets bought at a years end and that money will be used to find another higher quality center and somebody to replace cally at a more reasonable price.

Please see Clarkson, David for further information on overpaid 2nd / 3rd line hard nose players that fall out of favor with their new fan base bc of their over the top salaries for what they produce.

1st get the bitterness.

2nd feel you want him to fail so not gonna debate but

EVERYONE in NHL knew clarkson was a bad deal. Was voted as the worst deal here on HFBOARDS but they did it clarkson is not defensively even in same stratosphere as callahan and that IS A BIGGER DEAL than a lot of people like to admit.

So if we get 3-4 good years of callahan? 45 points good defense works his butt off etc? We will be happy as fans.

So if we give him 6 x 6 and he gives his heart to us and works when NOT INJURED?

We are ok with that.

Go see how much we complained about OHLUND? Who we still have to pay a few more years?

Is about what you do on the ice and as a part of the franchise which matters. If you are out there hustling working even if your skills diminish? We are ok with that.

We have problems with what marty DID.

With PURCELL and Malone the reasoning of those problems? EFFORT. Is not there.

Anyone can see it. I would be a lot less on malone even in fourth line if he showed each game and hustled but when he doesnt skate two feet to make the puck go to other end? Is the little things and is all 100% effort.

From day one that is the one thing you can say on RYAN CALLAHAN he puts it out there everything he has every moment on the ice.

Well I will take that drive and what he brings all day:)

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
plz dont listen to this nyrangers guy

thx

we miss cally a crazy bit, everyone does...he obviously had some kind of major investment in callahan where he had to follow him from team to team, cool...don't act like we aren't upset about it as well.

anywho....happy you guys are loving him....heart and soul players truely shine when they are on your team and you guys got one with him...ill say this, hes so impactful on the rangers as a franchise that me personally will go out of my way to check up on your boards and your nightly box score just to see how he's doing.

again glad to see you guys are diggin the fit.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
plz dont listen to this nyrangers guy

thx

we miss cally a crazy bit, everyone does...he obviously had some kind of major investment in callahan where he had to follow him from team to team, cool...don't act like we aren't upset about it as well.

anywho....happy you guys are loving him....heart and soul players truely shine when they are on your team and you guys got one with him...ill say this, hes so impactful on the rangers as a franchise that me personally will go out of my way to check up on your boards and your nightly box score just to see how he's doing.

again glad to see you guys are diggin the fit.

It really is all about the fit. Callahan has all the intangibles we were sorely missing up front (or, at least, didn't have enough of), and he's fast enough to keep up with our skilled players. Maybe, at this point in time, he's just a better fit here, particularly with this coach, than he was with the Rangers. And in terms of his contract negotiation, maybe he's just worth more to us than he is to you guys right now, because he adds intangibles that we can't replace.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's not getting over 5, Stamkos or Hedman will be the first if Yzerman ever decides to hand out a 5+ year contract. I'd be worried signing him for 5 years also, a lot can happen in 5 years and it could blow up in our faces as soon as next season if Callahan's play drops right after signing a big contract.

Heck I wouldn't even mind a 7mx3year contract considering what he brings and it keeps us protected long term.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'd go 6.5 at most - probably closer to 6 or 5.8 or something. There is no state income tax so he might go for less and it depends on term too but 7+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad