Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cally24Bolts

Apr 2, 2014
Central Florida
I am new to message board but have been lurking for sometime. I have to start by saying I am a longtime Ranger fan(30yrs) but also have enjoyed the Lightning franchise since it's start. I live in Florida and get to watch a lot of the games on the Sunshine Network. Being my nephews both live in Tampa and are Lightning fans I have been to several games(wearing my Ranger Cally Jersey lol) and enjoyed the atmosphere.

That said when this trade went down my nephew kept saying what a bad trade this was and I kept trying to tell him that you will be surprised and the Bolts won on this trade. Cally is not the type of player you can replace. Yeah he doesn't score a ton of goals but he will pick up the scraps in front of the net, he is a grinder and makes your goal scorers better...look at the Bolts power play and how much it has improved with Cally in front of the net. NO ONE in the NHL gives more effort then this guy.

MSL just added to a team that is notorious for over paying for older on there way out goal scorers and giving away the heart and soul players....see example Nash for Dubinsky and Anisomov....and not resigning Prust......Sather is an idiot and continually over pays and gives to much away for aging big names. Cally wanted a little slice of pie he deserved and a guranteed no trade clause....problem is when you have a franchise that is not willing to take care of players that have done so much for said franchise (see Brian Leetch) this is a result.

So I say great for the Bolts and Cally and I hope he resigns so I can at least see my favorite player on a team I will root for. I will also go to the Forum and hand my Ranger Cally jersey over for a Lightning one and do it with a smile on my face.....

Last edited:

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Really happy to see Cally doing well for you guys :)

I just hope you re-sign him (even if overpaying). I really want to see him in a uniform I like and not waste his career by going to some crap team that's gonna throw way too much money at him

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I am new to message board but have been lurking for sometime. I have to start by saying I am a longtime Ranger fan(30yrs) but also have enjoyed the Lightning franchise since it's start. I live in Florida and get to watch a lot of the games on the Sunshine Network. Being my nephews both live in Tampa and are Lightning fans I have been to several games(wearing my Ranger Cally Jersey lol) and enjoyed the atmosphere.

That said when this trade went down my nephew kept saying what a bad trade this was and I kept trying to tell him that you will be surprised and the Bolts won on this trade. Cally is not the type of player you can replace. Yeah he doesn't score a ton of goals but he will pick up the scraps in front of the net, he is a grinder and makes your goal scorers better...look at the Bolts power play and how much it has improved with Cally in front of the net. NO ONE in the NHL gives more effort then this guy.

MSL just added to a team that is notorious for over paying for older on there way out goal scorers and giving away the heart and soul players....see example Nash for Dubinsky and Anisomov....and not resigning Prust......Sather is an idiot and continually over pays and gives to much away for aging big names. Cally wanted a little slice of pie he deserved and a guranteed no trade clause....problem is when you have a franchise that is not willing to take care of players that have done so much for said franchise (see Brian Leetch) this is a result.

So I say great for the Bolts and Cally and I hope he resigns so I can at least see my favorite player on a team I will root for. I will also go to the Forum and hand my Ranger Cally jersey over for a Lightning one and do it with a smile on my face.....

Well welcome to the family!! Great first post by the way. Glad to have you apart of this ship for the playoffs.

We expect big things to come so your here for a great ride!!

We are also glad that cally is going to be part of that ride.

I am saying this like is foregone conclusion but I really cant believe when he fits like this he would walk away.

Is funny the names you named etc. have seen a lot of ranger fans say the exact same things seems like a bunch of you older fans get the heart thing and some others do not. Have seen fans who said they are quitting watching the rangers etc. Is a shame to me cause is a team I really like or franchise myself am unsure why even but always have.

To your nephews? We won the trade truthfully without cally being added. Cally if signed makes it a grand slam imho.

Cally24Bolts

Apr 2, 2014
Central Florida
Well welcome to the family!! Great first post by the way. Glad to have you apart of this ship for the playoffs.

We expect big things to come so your here for a great ride!!

We are also glad that cally is going to be part of that ride.

I am saying this like is foregone conclusion but I really cant believe when he fits like this he would walk away.

Is funny the names you named etc. have seen a lot of ranger fans say the exact same things seems like a bunch of you older fans get the heart thing and some others do not. Have seen fans who said they are quitting watching the rangers etc. Is a shame to me cause is a team I really like or franchise myself am unsure why even but always have.

To your nephews? We won the trade truthfully without cally being added. Cally if signed makes it a grand slam imho.

I am definelty going to root for Bolts but I can never stop rooting for Rangers.....they still have players that I really enjoy watching and they have been my team for far to long to give up on.....I just wish they would FIRE Sather and take care of the players who deserve it not the so called superstars......and I really want Cally to stay in Tampa like I said I would wear that Jersey in a heart beat.....

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am definelty going to root for Bolts but I can never stop rooting for Rangers.....they still have players that I really enjoy watching and they have been my team for far to long to give up on.....I just wish they would FIRE Sather and take care of the players who deserve it not the so called superstars......and I really want Cally to stay in Tampa like I said I would wear that Jersey in a heart beat.....

Really cool to see another Ranger fan, rooting for Tampa and Cally. I just don't like what Sather did, and he should of took the risk for a homegrown player. Anyway hope to see ya keep chatting up here. We are far from the only one in this boat. This divorce between Cally and the Rangers has been a devestating one but I think it has worked out for both teams and both players. Cally is getting PP time, and more ice time in general under Cooper, it seems the fans and players have supported him from day one since he arrived in Tampa, and now that they see what he can do, they can see why us Ranger fans love the guy for what he brings on and off the ice.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Is it me or has Callahan slowed down a bit these past few games? Not noticing him as much.

Prolly not yet as good chemistry with Killorn out there rather than Palat is reason. But that line (Killorn/Filp/Cally) is still really good just not as good. I like Killorn on third line in our cup run in the next few years. Cally still solid on both PP & PK.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Prolly not yet as good chemistry with Killorn out there rather than Palat is reason. But that line (Killorn/Filp/Cally) is still really good just not as good. I like Killorn on third line in our cup run in the next few years. Cally still solid on both PP & PK.

Agreed. It's a bit of a necessary evil because priority #1 has to be to keep Stamkos dangerous, and right now that means pairing him with Palat. But man, the way Panik has looked over the last week or so, maybe he could take Killer's place on that line.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed. It's a bit of a necessary evil because priority #1 has to be to keep Stamkos dangerous, and right now that means pairing him with Palat. But man, the way Panik has looked over the last week or so, maybe he could take Killer's place on that line.

As much as I want Callahan to succeed, it is the right move and more important to get someone on the line with Stamkos to keep that line a threat.

Cally looked really good last night the "F" bomb was hilarious. I thought he scored there also. He also set up Killorn with a nice backpass behind the net. This is why Cally is only around a 50 point scorer, he gets red hot, but then cools off, or goes through a string of bad luck games, like this one, or missing the empty net the game before by centimeters.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As much as I want Callahan to succeed, it is the right move and more important to get someone on the line with Stamkos to keep that line a threat.

Cally looked really good last night the "F" bomb was hilarious. I thought he scored there also. He also set up Killorn with a nice backpass behind the net. This is why Cally is only around a 50 point scorer, he gets red hot, but then cools off, or goes through a string of bad luck games, like this one, or missing the empty net the game before by centimeters.

Yeah, but he also doesn't need to score to be valuable. I don't think anyone's going to bat an eye at a scoring slump from a guy who provides the rest of Callahan's game. He leads by example out there. And you can see how a good shift from Callahan is contagious.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, but he also doesn't need to score to be valuable. I don't think anyone's going to bat an eye at a scoring slump from a guy who provides the rest of Callahan's game. He leads by example out there. And you can see how a good shift from Callahan is contagious.

Wow dude. Tampa fans are truly awesome. Ranger fans would be bashing him because he did not score on that PP, where is looked like it went in.

Still, another goal there would of been Sweeeeeeeeet! lol.

Tampabear

Mar 5, 2014
Great game tonight. 3 blocks in the 3rd period while trying to hang on to the lead. Don't remember seeing whats-his-name doing that.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great game tonight. 3 blocks in the 3rd period while trying to hang on to the lead. Don't remember seeing whats-his-name doing that.

LOL! Well Hobbits don't tend to block shots they are just too small.

As per Cally, he is a two-way forward, he is going to put up around 50 points in a season, 20+ goals, maybe more, but he is going to bring that defense element to the game.

He missed out on two assists tonight, thought they gave him one on Palat's goal, and he was the 3rd unofficial assist on the Brewer goal. I think someone here said points are not everything, but would of been cool to get on the score sheet as well.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith

#tblightning Ryan Callahan told @jaymohr37 coach @CoopersLaw made great first impression, picking him up at airport after trade.

Classy.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here is the Jay Mohr interview...

http://www.620wdae.com/onair/jay-mo...llahan-talking-stanley-cup-playoffs-12256490/

It's funny how they talk about MSL production, yet MSL is doing worse in NY, I know it is a small sample, but I don't see MSL putting those Point per game numbers up in NY anymore.

Cally has what 11 points in the last 19 games? MSL only 8? He also Had so many unofficial assists and just missed some opportunities to put up some more points. I know points are not everything, since he brings the two way style of play on the ice, unlike MSL. I'm arguing with Ranger fans in the Flyers vs Rangers thread, about his performance on the PP, and they have the nerve to say he made the PP bad? :shakehead

If that gum chewing head coach AV did not take him off the PP for like 15 games or so he'd easily be pushing 50 points this season with only 65 games played. He had 4 PPG in his 1st ten games of the season, and he was not a factor on the PP in the beginning of the season according to them? He finished with 7 PPG and saw PP time for only 50 games this season. Yet is tied with all Rangers leaders except MSL who scored all his PP goals with Tampa. But he sucks on the PP!!! That is what I'm getting from Ranger fans. It just does not end.

Sorry, Rant over. lol.

Sean Avery**

If the bolts can sign him, this trade might go down as a win for the bolts.

This trade was an absolute win for the bolts the moment it was agreed upon.

You gave an old, rapidly-declining fart away for what may be two first-round picks and Captain America himself.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This trade was an absolute win for the bolts the moment it was agreed upon.

You gave an old, rapidly-declining fart away for what may be two first-round picks and Captain America himself.

MSL wasn't rapidly declining. We did get a lot for him, in hindsight, though, because he was, after all, 38. Long-term, I think it's pretty close to a Bolts win. We'll have to see how the draft picks pan out. Tampa's track record in the Yzerman/Murray era has been stellar, but maybe that means they're due for a couple of misses.

Short-term, I think it really depends on Cally signing. If he does, I'll call the trade a smashing win, because I think we might be a better team with Callahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad