Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To be fair to the guy that goaltender interference was a straight up make-up ******** call. He was pushed right onto him.

Yeah good point.

It was a weird night but it ended on a good note for him. He drew that last Ottawa penalty did not punch back, and was able to score the GW goal. So it's all good. lol.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he's won most of us over, if not all of us, to the point that I would say the majority of us want to lock him up even if it means we're overpaying. I feel like he does something good every shift, even if it's just hustling in a spot where you usually don't see a player hustle.

(And, in all honesty, part of me wants Cally to be a long-term Bolt just to see a cartoon-like backfire in Glen Sather and MSL's faces. Oh the irony.)

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's won most of us over, if not all of us, to the point that I would say the majority of us want to lock him up even if it means we're overpaying. I feel like he does something good every shift, even if it's just hustling in a spot where you usually don't see a player hustle.

(And, in all honesty, part of me wants Cally to be a long-term Bolt just to see a cartoon-like backfire in Glen Sather and MSL's faces. Oh the irony.)

He started off a little slow in this game, but then he turned it on in the 3rd and got that goal. It seems he is finding his groove again on the PP, which like I said Rangers took him off for like 15 to 20 games. I'm loving this first PP unit, btw. Must not change!

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
"A lot of players talk about there not being a fan-base in Florida, but I've seen the complete opposite."

Callahan on Boltsradio as retweeted by @boltprospects.

He knows how to win over this fan base.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
"A lot of players talk about there not being a fan-base in Florida, but I've seen the complete opposite."

Callahan on Boltsradio as retweeted by @boltprospects.

He knows how to win over this fan base.

That certainly was the right thing for him to say. Hopefully he's warming to Tampa. Maybe make it easier for him to re-sign if he ends up loving the city and fanbase.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Just a thought

And I really don't know who all the free agents are to get this summer.

But has anyone thought about this.

1st) There are free agents out there .... so does this mean Cally is the best option for our team? We just have to have him?

2nd) if we do have a choice out there wouldn't we be better to throw our money toward someone else and pick up a free 2nd rounder? (getting it from the Rangers because we don't end up signing Callihan)

In conclusion unless we can't go on without Callihan .,... wouldn't it be better to sign someone else and pick up a free 2nd rounder? (btw I do like Cally I'm just looking at wheeling and dealing and getting ahead for the future)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just a thought

1st) There are free agents out there .... so does this mean Cally is the best option for our team? We just have to have him?

2nd) if we do have a choice out there wouldn't we be better to throw our money toward someone else and pick up a free 2nd rounder? (getting it from the Rangers because we don't end up signing Callihan)

In conclusion unless we can't go on without Callihan .,... wouldn't it be better to sign someone else and pick up a free 2nd rounder? (btw I do like Cally I'm just looking at wheeling and dealing and getting ahead for the future)

It's a pretty dry market for top 6 forwards, especially gritty two way types we need.

We are getting a 2nd this year unless the Rangers make the ECF then it becomes a 1st. If we resign Callahan we give up our 2nd in 15 but we are getting their 1st and a 7th.

2nd round picks are nice but it's not better then a top 6 forward who we need more. It would be silly to just not resign him so we can get a pick.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Just a thought

Hose really answered well. Other thing would add could do something for legwand 34 or ott same age think he is 33? Otherwise market looks very bone dry to me for this type of player.

I think he brings a new mentality work ethic and physicality this team has lacked.

I say pay him within reason. If is all about the money and he goes to buffalo we move on and just are a different dynamic as a team.

I said this right off the bat this guy callahan will not interfer with anyone else on this team. He will do his role and allow the kids to learn and do theirs. He is different than anyone else we have.

So is like a perfect piece for us. hedman flipper up top callahan at net stamkos to left kucherov to right.

second pairing is same thing just two d guys johnson to left purcell/palat maybe on top or right or other cally/killer at net etc. Callahan can play line 1 or 2 and not hold back others cause of his style of play is so different than that of everyone else.

We could go cheap bring in ott dont think we can get legwand think he signs with detroit its his hometown.

Just see nothing else.

Now Kesler? He might just be in the cards but that means whole thing gets a lot of turned over to me. Meaning we lose some kids or a large package.

Kesler with stamkos and anyone and callahan palat flipper on 2? I LOVE THAT. We would be very tough to play against but kesler is trade not ufa.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just a thought

Pending UFAs: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder

OT: What's the thought on Moulson around here?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hose really answered well. Other thing would add could do something for legwand 34 or ott same age think he is 33? Otherwise market looks very bone dry to me for this type of player.

I think he brings a new mentality work ethic and physicality this team has lacked.

I say pay him within reason. If is all about the money and he goes to buffalo we move on and just are a different dynamic as a team.

I said this right off the bat this guy callahan will not interfer with anyone else on this team. He will do his role and allow the kids to learn and do theirs. He is different than anyone else we have.

So is like a perfect piece for us. hedman flipper up top callahan at net stamkos to left kucherov to right.

second pairing is same thing just two d guys johnson to left purcell/palat maybe on top or right or other cally/killer at net etc. Callahan can play line 1 or 2 and not hold back others cause of his style of play is so different than that of everyone else.

We could go cheap bring in ott dont think we can get legwand think he signs with detroit its his hometown.

Just see nothing else.

Now Kesler? He might just be in the cards but that means whole thing gets a lot of turned over to me. Meaning we lose some kids or a large package.

Kesler with stamkos and anyone and callahan palat flipper on 2? I LOVE THAT. We would be very tough to play against but kesler is trade not ufa.

With Vancouver about to blow things up (maybe -- you never know with that circus), we're good trading partners right now. So we probably COULD bring in Kesler, if we were willing to part with some significant pieces. They like Connolly because he's a local boy, but my guess is it would cost more along the lines of Kucherov +. It puts us quickly into "win now" mode though, and I'm not sure if we're quite there yet. I'd rather nail down the defense and then try to add a Kesler-type piece. This is all assuming we sign Callahan.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Pending UFAs: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder

OT: What's the thought on Moulson around here?

Moulson has incredible talent and is massively underrated. He would make us better short, but we likely have better long term options given his likely 4+ mil contract he could be getting.

I wouldn't mind him just cause he makes Stammer so much better, compared to Purcell, but the point is kinda moot.

NHLeitner

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
I say give Callahan what he wants too. To a degree, of course...
Give him Filppula money, maybe slightly more. $5.5 X 5yr, NTC. That, plus being on an up-and-coming team in a very temperate region (with no state income tax to boot...) should keep him around.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

A7fF2aT.jpg

:yo:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I dont want moulson or guys like him and think he will get a hell of a raise.

I want DEFENSE.

Moulson has incredible talent and is massively underrated. He would make us better short, but we likely have better long term options given his likely 4+ mil contract he could be getting.

I wouldn't mind him just cause he makes Stammer so much better, compared to Purcell, but the point is kinda moot.
I see moulson getting maxed at like 5.5 to 6 million myself. Is a dry market. I cant see someone not paying that man.

Ott ok legwand ok callahan yes please kesler more than ok.

If we lose kucherov which dont think we would have to in order to get kesler I am ok with that.

Kucherov is my boy as everyone knows but kesler is an elite two way forward like palat.

I can only imagine how tough we would be to play against.

Still hoping we sign the kid for d that every team wants right now that changes things for us big time if we get him. Means we really need one more d like fayne boyle something even without kucherov we have the pieces to get kesler and a d guy imho.

We got plenty of guys with worth using purcell and killorn and extra picks etc.

I think if sign callahan and can sign christian folin would be shameful not to go all in.

We could go all in at that point for the D we need and I think that team scares the hell out of me.
kesler stamkos x
callahan filppula palat
johnson kucherov drouin
thompson beanor brown/pyatt/panik/paquette-paradis-namestnikov

whoever is still here goes to top line killorn connolly purcell or if all are on move we put tyjo on the first line:)

Hedman X(boyle?) maybe fayne?
carle gudas
brewer folin
barberio sustr

I cant see a no from vancouver if they tear it up to trade killorn connolly and a second for kesler? maybe add aulie? brown or panik?

If we get kesler teddy has to move but could be for a pick even?

Namestnikov is ready so tyjo could do top line if lost all three?

We would be tough as hell next year.

The key is signing callahan and what this kid is doing in college and if kesler is really available but I think that makes us a cup contender and threat next season.

Of course we are buying out malone:)

With Vancouver about to blow things up (maybe -- you never know with that circus), we're good trading partners right now. So we probably COULD bring in Kesler, if we were willing to part with some significant pieces. They like Connolly because he's a local boy, but my guess is it would cost more along the lines of Kucherov +. It puts us quickly into "win now" mode though, and I'm not sure if we're quite there yet. I'd rather nail down the defense and then try to add a Kesler-type piece. This is all assuming we sign Callahan.

Timing is everything kesler and callahans do not grow on trees. I doubt if wait anyone of their worth as two way great close to elite forwards are available at the cost we would need to pay to get those types of guys. We wont afford it kesler has two years on 5 million serious underpay for his game. With stamkos I think he would add another 20 points a year to his game.

He wants out imo for sure so wont be as high of an issue is might have been to acquire him. Meaning fans want this that and other thing. Look at marty how much that circus got going I think things dont end well for the canucks.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you believe Cally lost his job on the PP over Benoit Pouliot? He had come back from an injury the PP was hot, so AV left Cally off of it, PP became ice cold, still has been ice cold. So he missed about 20 games with getting PP time. Cally also was getting an average of 17 to 18 mins this season, last several seasons he averaged over 20 mins. Cooper is playing him how Torts did, and so far it seems to be paying off.

Cally just needs to not block as many shots, or be more conservative with them, then he will stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->