Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Short-term, I think it really depends on Cally signing. If he does, I'll call the trade a smashing win, because I think we might be a better team with Callahan.

If the Lightning flame out in first round, will that change their view on trying to re-sign Callahan?

Just curious if he'll make it to free agency or not....

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If the Lightning flame out in first round, will that change their view on trying to re-sign Callahan?

Don't know. One of the things that made him appear so valuable was the instant chemistry the second line had when Palat was on it. It hasn't been the same since Palat has been off of it, though. The thing is, we need a two way forward like Callahan, and there aren't a ton around - Whatever happens, I'll trust the Yzerplan.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

If people are judging him based on two playoff games, then that is pretty messed up.

Callahan did what he could last game. Flip is not playing well, likely because he is injured still. Purcell made that line worse, could not even finish a good play made by Cally. Since Cooper took Palat off that line both players have lost a lot of energy and are just not scoring.

Tampa fans saw in the Columbus game what Cally can do defensively. So it's not just about putting up numbers on the score sheet. That is just some of the elements that make him a two-way shutdown forward.

I truly hope Tampa fans have not turned their backs on him after only 2 playoff games.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
If people are judging him based on two playoff games, then that is pretty messed up.

Callahan did what he could last game. Flip is not playing well, likely because he is injured still. Purcell made that line worse, could not even finish a good play made by Cally. Since Cooper took Palat off that line both players have lost a lot of energy and are just not scoring.

Tampa fans saw in the Columbus game what Cally can do defensively. So it's not just about putting up numbers on the score sheet. That is just some of the elements that make him a two-way shutdown forward.

I truly hope Tampa fans have not turned their backs on him after only 2 playoff games.

There is a reason he still gets the second loudest cheer in the arena when players names are announced. No one has forgotten what Callahan brings

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
We get a 2nd instead of 1st if he resigns right? What about the idea of signing Vanek instead of Callahan? Aren't they asking for about the same money? Both good players. Vanek probably the better offensively and Callahan 2 way...Anyways just an idea it might be better to sign another player for the money and get the higher pick. Depends what his contract demands are and who is available.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
We get a 2nd instead of 1st if he resigns right? What about the idea of signing Vanek instead of Callahan? Aren't they asking for about the same money? Both good players. Vanek probably the better offensively and Callahan 2 way...Anyways just an idea it might be better to sign another player for the money and get the higher pick. Depends what his contract demands are and who is available.

If we aren't going to resign him probably want to use that money for a defensemen instead of vanek who wants more than Cally. Read Vanek wants around 7mill? Oh so not that bad but not really a need.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Question is….Is he still worth $6 mil?

He was never worth $6 mil. I'm hoping he likes playing here and his demand comes down with the no income tax being factored in, but I doubt it will. If we do sign him for a high price tag then I hope it's not a long-term deal.

If he re-signs we give up our 2nd rounder in 2015. We get their 2015 first rounder no matter what happens. If the Rangers make the ECF then the 2nd round pick we get for this year's draft becomes a first.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
We get a 2nd instead of 1st if he resigns right? What about the idea of signing Vanek instead of Callahan?

No, we give up a second in 2015 if Cally resigns. We still have NY's 1st in 2015 no matter what Cally does.

And I see someone beat me too it...

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
No matter how much I like Cally, I just don't know if he is worth the 6x6 NTC he is asking for. If it was a Flip contract I would still be in big favor of him, but I'm just starting to think that even if he brings a ton to this team now, he may not bring much 3 years from now. These playoffs have deffinently made me cool off on a few players. Without Palat, a lot of these lines look lost.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State

Exactly. I like his game and all, but I can see better ways to use that money. His agent said he'd take a little less because of the tax situation here, but I'm not totally sold on him for a big (long) payday. We have a number of RFA's this year that we have to pay also. We will lose Salo's contract this year if we don't resign him which will help...I'd also like to lose Malone's and Purcell's if we can.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was never worth $6 mil. I'm hoping he likes playing here and his demand comes down with the no income tax being factored in, but I doubt it will. If we do sign him for a high price tag then I hope it's not a long-term deal.

According to TSN, his worth is around 5.5 to 5.7 million, so 6 million is not far-fectched. The income tax is actually a big thing, even his agent has mentioned it. That is about a 500 to 600k difference right there. So 5.5 million would be like making over 6 million in NY.

If your GM is smart he'll re-sign him where both parties are happy, and the fans are not crying "cap space". lol. Tampa should at least come close to the Rangers last offer, but the biggest issue is the NTC. A guy wants job security and does not want to have to relocate his family after only a couple of years.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
According to TSN, his worth is around 5.5 to 5.7 million, so 6 million is not far-fectched. The income tax is actually a big thing, even his agent has mentioned it. That is about a 500 to 600k difference right there. So 5.5 million would be like making over 6 million in NY.

If your GM is smart he'll re-sign him where both parties are happy, and the fans are not crying "cap space". lol. Tampa should at least come close to the Rangers last offer, but the biggest issue is the NTC. A guy wants job security and does not want to have to relocate his family after only a couple of years.

Malone's cap space is going to be available after he's bought out. Purcell will probably manage to hang around, which baffles me to no end as he really doesn't fit the identity of the team any more. He's not a worker and he makes Kessel look tough.

We'll have room to get Cally signed.

Need to start stocking stables with young D to develop. Organizational weakness. I would love to pick up Boyle in free agency, but the Sharks are saying that they'd like to have him locked up before the Draft. Who knows how that's gonna go. Niskanen won't be available if Pittsburgh knows what's good for them, but he'd be fantastic for us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think we can judge signing him vs. not signing him on two playoff games, particularly when he's playing with about 70% of Val Filppula and sometimes Teddy Purcell.

That said, he's one of many guys who need to step it up right now. He hasn't provided the energy shifts in these two games, and he needs to get back to that, regardless of what else is going on on his line. I just don't think it'll weigh all that heavily, one way or the other, on whether or not we get him signed. If we went on a deep playoff run and he was off his game for its entirety, then that's a different story. But this entire team is off right now. Steven Stamkos just had the worst game I've ever seen him play.

So yeah, Cally needs to step it up in a big way for game three. But it's not really about the contract right now. Not until the sample size gets bigger. You can't put 500k on the table, or take it off, based on just a handful of games, regardless of when they are.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think we can judge signing him vs. not signing him on two playoff games, particularly when he's playing with about 70% of Val Filppula and sometimes Teddy Purcell.

That said, he's one of many guys who need to step it up right now. He hasn't provided the energy shifts in these two games, and he needs to get back to that, regardless of what else is going on on his line. I just don't think it'll weigh all that heavily, one way or the other, on whether or not we get him signed. If we went on a deep playoff run and he was off his game for its entirety, then that's a different story. But this entire team is off right now. Steven Stamkos just had the worst game I've ever seen him play.

So yeah, Cally needs to step it up in a big way for game three. But it's not really about the contract right now. Not until the sample size gets bigger. You can't put 500k on the table, or take it off, based on just a handful of games, regardless of when they are.

I think you hit the nail on the head. His line is suffering now, and he has been the best on that line, which is really not saying much, because of how bad the other guys have been. If Flip is not playing well due to injury, and you have him with a guy like Purcell, it is very hard to get anything going. He did have some nice chances last game, and even set up Purcell but he could not finish. But yeah the entire team is playing so bad, you can't point fingers at one single person.

I think if Palat plays tonight he needs to go back on the Flip line, it will give more scoring depth, and the Montreal line will have to deal with two dangerous lines.

Look how much Flips and Callys game has been effected since Palat was taken off that line. Honestly, Palat with Stamkos has not been like lights out, A lot of those goals towards the end of the season were on the PP, plus I think Killorn has earned at least another game there with Stamkos.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think you hit the nail on the head. His line is suffering now, and he has been the best on that line, which is really not saying much, because of how bad the other guys have been. If Flip is not playing well due to injury, and you have him with a guy like Purcell, it is very hard to get anything going. He did have some nice chances last game, and even set up Purcell but he could not finish. But yeah the entire team is playing so bad, you can't point fingers at one single person.

I think if Palat plays tonight he needs to go back on the Flip line, it will give more scoring depth, and the Montreal line will have to deal with two dangerous lines.

Look how much Flips and Callys game has been effected since Palat was taken off that line. Honestly, Palat with Stamkos has not been like lights out, A lot of those goals towards the end of the season were on the PP, plus I think Killorn has earned at least another game there with Stamkos.

I agree, but for a different reason. MTL has effectively "thrown a blanket" over Stamkos, so that should open the door for a second line to light them up. So you can imagine my frustration when I saw Teddy Purcell practiced with Flip and Cally today.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree, but for a different reason. MTL has effectively "thrown a blanket" over Stamkos, so that should open the door for a second line to light them up. So you can imagine my frustration when I saw Teddy Purcell practiced with Flip and Cally today.

I'm getting annoyed a bit, because how can Cally perform when Flip is not 100 percent and with a guy who a lot of Tampa fans here want off the team, lol.

But you make an excellent point, if Stamkos is going to get the focus from their D, it leaves that 2nd line with Palat able to sneak into the back door.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So a strong effort last night, countless hard hits, created a turnover that led to a PP goal, was the 4th man out so an unofficial assist and a clutch goal that should of been a goal in any other arena, but because it was Montreal, the ref was canadian, and they were in Montreal it was disallowed.

Does this add some value points to you guys? lol.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
So a strong effort last night, countless hard hits, created a turnover that led to a PP goal, was the 4th man out so an unofficial assist and a clutch goal that should of been a goal in any other arena, but because it was Montreal, the ref was canadian, and they were in Montreal it was disallowed.

Does this add some value points to you guys? lol.

There's nothing wrong with Callahan's play. That line is not working well because Flip is playing injured and looks to be running at ~85% at best. Saddling it with Purcell is also no help.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's nothing wrong with Callahan's play. That line is not working well because Flip is playing injured and looks to be running at ~85% at best. Saddling it with Purcell is also no help.

That no goal call was just another reminder of what kind of season Cally is having. It sucks all around, Tampa should of at least had a strong chance to win that game, you are up by one goal, it changes the game big time.

Flip looked much better last night, but Cally was playing very well, likely one of his best games in the last few weeks. It just sucks.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I kinda dont want to touch this but this series is showing what is missing from playoff hockey. The defense is missing the toughness is missing.

With callahan at least we will have the power play guy we NEED I dont give flying BLANKS for what you all think at this time on the money.

WE NEED CALLAHAN and for anyone who considers otherwise? Well go be a pittsburgh fan see how that works out. All the talented scorers in the world will not win us many cups.

Physicality is needed dont have to have a ton of it but need a certain mixture and right now flipper callahan and palat are three guys.

Brown is good for that but not a top line. We need another guy in the top to match with stamkos yet last night imagine that got teddy off that first line and brown in and that line WAS WORKING.

For those who want to ignore that great we can have flashy guys and have great years but no cups GOOD PLAN

PAY THE MAN HE MAKES US BETTER and in time a TRUE CUP CONTENDER.

Is others could go cheaper say an OTT but he fits in very well with us.

We have a D issue plain and simple. We have a toughness issue majorly:) Think he helps that? If you dont agree ok dont know what you watch. We have an issue getting DIRTY GOALS? Yep helps that to debate otherwise is just sad and funny. I dont know what you expect from the guy but he has been one of our top 5 players since coming here EVERY NIGHT

Not just once in awhile EVERY NIGHT.

SO EQUATION PAY THE MAN

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I kinda dont want to touch this but this series is showing what is missing from playoff hockey. The defense is missing the toughness is missing.

With callahan at least we will have the power play guy we NEED I dont give flying BLANKS for what you all think at this time on the money.

WE NEED CALLAHAN and for anyone who considers otherwise? Well go be a pittsburgh fan see how that works out. All the talented scorers in the world will not win us many cups.

Physicality is needed dont have to have a ton of it but need a certain mixture and right now flipper callahan and palat are three guys.

Brown is good for that but not a top line. We need another guy in the top to match with stamkos yet last night imagine that got teddy off that first line and brown in and that line WAS WORKING.

For those who want to ignore that great we can have flashy guys and have great years but no cups GOOD PLAN

PAY THE MAN HE MAKES US BETTER and in time a TRUE CUP CONTENDER.

Is others could go cheaper say an OTT but he fits in very well with us.

We have a D issue plain and simple. We have a toughness issue majorly:) Think he helps that? If you dont agree ok dont know what you watch. We have an issue getting DIRTY GOALS? Yep helps that to debate otherwise is just sad and funny. I dont know what you expect from the guy but he has been one of our top 5 players since coming here EVERY NIGHT

Not just once in awhile EVERY NIGHT.

SO EQUATION PAY THE MAN

Well I hope he re-signs here, it's a great team with a lot of hope for a bright future. After watching Cally for over 6 years with the Rangers, you have an excellent idea of what he brings to the table after only seeing him for 20 something games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad