Injury Report: Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Shoulder subluxation. Partial shoulder dislocation. Mine was accompanied with both SLAP and bankart lesions. If either one is the case with Callahan, he's going to eventually need an arthroscopic procedure to stitch up the glenoid capsule, and anchor it back against the bone if it is separated from the bone. Hopefully it's not necessary, he can play through the rest of the season with relatively no discomfort, and get it cleaned up in the off-season. Recovery from surgery is generally 3-6 months depending on severity and style of PT.

How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.

He can have the surgery in the offseason. Have the surgery June/July and we could see him back by December.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Shoulder subluxation. Partial shoulder dislocation. Mine was accompanied with both SLAP and bankart lesions. If either one is the case with Callahan, he's going to eventually need an arthroscopic procedure to stitch up the glenoid capsule, and anchor it back against the bone if it is separated from the bone. Hopefully it's not necessary, he can play through the rest of the season with relatively no discomfort, and get it cleaned up in the off-season. Recovery from surgery is generally 3-6 months depending on severity and style of PT.

Thank you. I've been saying this since page 4 or 5. This is not as black and white as it seems.

Even though he'll be playing in 10-14 days hes going to be prone to reinjury and probably will feel no where close to 100%. He'll most likely get surgery in the offseason (if he makes it that far) because thats the only way the labrum will heal correctly and decrease the chances of a reinjury.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Whaaat? It wasnt the end of the world as many thought on here last night? Cally won't miss 3 months? This is startling information. Guess we shouldn't blow up the team now :sarcasm:

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Where are all the amateur doctors saying he was done? Or the guy that said this was career-threatening?

And all of you that were ready to throw in the towel--do us all a favor and don't come back.

Listen to this man.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
But how can we expect him to perform? The ligaments will be stretched and weak which could cause further injury if pushed too hard just the right way, if I understand what I'm reading correctly. We are talking about a very physical player who throws and recieves a lot of checks. I guess I'm just worried he will be less effective knowing his shoulder is in a weak state, which of course, could be off base as it is Callahan, who plays with complete reckless abandon for his safety. :laugh:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There are different levels of severity with this...he may not have injured it badly enough to require surgery. Or maybe he did, but we can't really speak with authority on it since we're not doctors looking at his MRI

*Bob Richards*

It's amazing how this went from "career ending" to a two week band aid.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
But how can we expect him to perform? The ligaments will be stretched and weak which could cause further injury if pushed too hard just the right way, if I understand what I'm reading correctly. We are talking about a very physical player who throws and recieves a lot of checks. I guess I'm just worried he will be less effective knowing his shoulder is in a weak state, which of course, could be off base as it is Callahan, who plays with complete reckless abandon for his safety. :laugh:

Depends on if the labrum was torn and how severely. If the MRI reveals no tear or minimal tear, then its a matter of the pain from the initial trauma subsiding and doing some PT to strengten the micro-muscles surrounding the joint. If there is a significant tear, then the chances of re-dislocation is extremely high, not to mention that you're going to have limited range of motion and strength until its repaired via surgery and a full dose of PT. Folks who don't eventually get surgery either don't have a tear or have a tear but don't intend on playing contact sports or lifting weights regularly. The labrum is made of cartilage. It can't repair itself. So lets hope he didn't damage it.

I'm by no means a doctor. I just happened to tear my labrum in September and ask my orthopedist and PT's questions non-stop because I'm interested and because I want to avoid going through this whole ordeal again.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Yeah I'm with you there on being uncertain of what shape he'll be in to play. Gaborik had his injury late in the season / held off surgery, and he went from our top scorer to completely ineffective in the playoffs and we all found out why later. So I'm hoping it won't be the same with Callahan

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Thanks god he can play through it, even if it means surgery in the off season. We can't afford losing Callahan atm.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
It's amazing how this went from "career ending" to a two week band aid.

That's what happens when you have uninformed people making idiotic comments that have no facts backing them. Half these people probably don't even know what a tendon is, and are diagnosing an injury based on 5 seconds of video footage.

BarbaraAlphanse

That's what happens when you have uninformed people making idiotic comments that have no facts backing them. Half these people probably don't even know what a tendon is, and are diagnosing an injury based on 5 seconds of video footage.

Speak for yourself man, my source (the real life thumbelina i had hiding in ryan's left hand jersey sleeve) assured me that the anterior cruciate ligament, located in his elbow, had broken.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Depends on if the labrum was torn and how severely. If the MRI reveals no tear or minimal tear, then its a matter of the pain from the initial trauma subsiding and doing some PT to strengten the micro-muscles surrounding the joint. If there is a significant tear, then the chances of re-dislocation is extremely high, not to mention that you're going to have limited range of motion and strength until its repaired via surgery and a full dose of PT. Folks who don't eventually get surgery either don't have a tear or have a tear but don't intend on playing contact sports or lifting weights regularly. The labrum is made of cartilage. It can't repair itself. So lets hope he didn't damage it.

I'm by no means a doctor. I just happened to tear my labrum in September and ask my orthopedist and PT's questions non-stop because I'm interested and because I want to avoid going through this whole ordeal again.

Thank you. This is good info. I guess all we can do is hope its minor, for his sake and the teams.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
And here I thought the season was over and Cally done. I was just about to cancel my GCL subscription...

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
And here I thought the season was over and Cally done. I was just about to cancel my GCL subscription...

Injured Callahan = season over? You really like Cally :laugh:
Who was it that undervalues Cally? Talk to him :laugh:

- Callahan last year we would be in trouble.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Like I said before, I did something very similar except I'm dumb and didn't go to the doctor. Since then I've lifted weights and played sports (done a lot of laying out and landing on that shoulder) with no problems.

I might have some slight limited range of motion for certain movements and maybe it is a bit more prone to happening again, but so far so good

That's all to say, if it really is nothing major like they said, then he could be just fine long term too. Hopefully he doesn't get into any more fights though

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I know how important Callahan is to the team, but if he truly is the "heart & soul" of the team, then we might have issues going forward. The guy plays a game that's far too big for his body. He lacks both the size and frame to sustain a long career with that playing style.

Another factor is losing him and what he brings at crucial times during the season. Hopefully this is offset by the workload being carried by the supporting cast. Personally, I think Iginla would be the perfect addition to this club. He would truly make us a contender for these next 2-3 years.

If Calgary is still in it next month we should pursue him on a short term deal in the off-season.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Injured Callahan = season over? You really like Cally :laugh:
Who was it that undervalues Cally? Talk to him :laugh:

- Callahan last year we would be in trouble.

That was not me who said that, but someone in the GDT really had that opinion. Obviously my post was sarcasm, but sadly there were quite a few posters here who were very close to the ledge. And as it seems that none of them has posted since the diagnosis, maybe they jumped...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really think that Lundqvist is the only "essential" player, the only one who if seriously injured would have a truly devastating effect on the team. It would suck if McDonagh or Gaborik went down for an extended period, but we still have enough talent at those positions to still be average offensively and defensively. If we had to start Biron and Talbot the rest of the year, we'd be in real trouble.

It would definitely hurt had we lost Callahan long term, but it wouldn't be the death knell that some seem to think. IMO anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad