Injury Report: Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Psychologicals maaan. I think it's cause the guys like him and he's got the emotional and drive to play. Like, they'd be sort of deflated IMO.

MetalGodAOD*

This sounds exactly like what Derek Roy was playing through last year. He would 'pop his shoulder back in" randomly throughout a game. It was painful but playable. He got it cleaned up in the offseason, recovery time was about 6 months.

Ice Hockey

Jan 4, 2009
CT
"Sure players grab and tug at one another for positioning during fights all the time, but
in over 20+ yrs of watching hockey, i've never seen a "fight" where one player makes a concerted effort to grab ONE ARM and start yanking and pulling that arm in an attempt to apply an armbar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UbRyqDCrHM"

At first it looked like an awkward tangle up and then fall to me, but i've never in my life seen a hockey fight, scrap, scrum, etc. where one player focuses all of his effort on the arm of another. Both of Talbot's hands target the arm of Callahan. I'm not saying Talbot intentionally injured Callahan, but WTF was he doing/thinking there? That's just stupid. I've seen guys in Tier 3 men's league who have better sense than that.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
I really think that Lundqvist is the only "essential" player, the only one who if seriously injured would have a truly devastating effect on the team. It would suck if McDonagh or Gaborik went down for an extended period, but we still have enough talent at those positions to still be average offensively and defensively. If we had to start Biron and Talbot the rest of the year, we'd be in real trouble.

It would definitely hurt had we lost Callahan long term, but it wouldn't be the death knell that some seem to think. IMO anyway.
I generally agree, but I would add Richards to the list as well. No dispute that Hank is far and away the most critical, but Richards plays a big role and in a lot of spots. You take him out of the line-up and we become incredibly thin at the C position.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
"Sure players grab and tug at one another for positioning during fights all the time, but
in over 20+ yrs of watching hockey, i've never seen a "fight" where one player makes a concerted effort to grab ONE ARM and start yanking and pulling that arm in an attempt to apply an armbar...

At first it looked like an awkward tangle up and then fall to me, but i've never in my life seen a hockey fight, scrap, scrum, etc. where one player focuses all of his effort on the arm of another. Both of Talbot's hands target the arm of Callahan. I'm not saying Talbot intentionally injured Callahan, but WTF was he doing/thinking there? That's just stupid. I've seen guys in Tier 3 men's league who have better sense than that.

Hmm, I can pretty clearly see Talbot has Callahan's arm in one and and his other hand is on Callys jersey by his chest. Talbot lost his balance and natural reaction was to grab onto Callahan's arm, pulling it downward. It was a fair scrap and a freak injury. You can tell by Talbot's response that he knew right away and was concerned.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Mild shoulder sprain out 1 to 2 weeks..book it. Did almost exactly the same thing during MMA grappling. Hurt like a *****

You really think that? Highly unlikely. Talbot said he even felt it pop out. You think that's merely a mild shoulder strain?

"New York Rangers captain Ryan Callahan will miss 10 to 14 days after injuring his shoulder in Tuesday night's game against Philadelphia at Madison Square Garden."

Boom. That is all

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
It's amazing how this went from "career ending" to a two week band aid.

It's really not as simple as a two week "band aid". I'm willing to bet we wont see the same Ryan Callahan until next year after a full offseason and more time for aggressive PT/surgery.

He's a professional athlete whose playing style revolves around going into the corners and banging bodies. You can bet they are going to do everything they can to make him less prone to reinjury.

Chances are Gaborik had the same injury (which was probably even more minor than this considering he didnt even get it checked out until after) when he tore his labrum in the playoffs last year. We all know how effective he was.

It was never career ending as some people tried to make it out to be, but I wouldnt say there's any "best case scenario" here.

Look, I'm not a doctor, but being sidelined with this injury for 6 months certainly gave me enough time to study all the scenarios surrounding this as a hockey player and none of them are good until after fully recovered from the surgery.

That said, while i hope he'll be the same Callahan i won't bet on it.

This sounds exactly like what Derek Roy was playing through last year. He would 'pop his shoulder back in" randomly throughout a game. It was painful but playable. He got it cleaned up in the offseason, recovery time was about 6 months.

^This is spot on.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Callahan doesn't have what Gaborik had... Gabby had a torn labrum and that would've showed on the MRI.

The only meaningful injuries would have been a torn labrum or torn rotator cuff. Both of those would have shown in the MRI. AC joint sprain sucks but it's something he would've come back from pretty quickly.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Roy is on IR. again. Cally be careful. Although we say two weeks it'll take at least three to a month for him to be back fully if nothing else is wrong. Often like others say, there usually is the possibility of something else happening.

NYRANGERAMI*

Glad Cally isnt out that long. Great news. Cally and Talbot were basically yanking at each other a bit there, grabbing, trying to go into that grab the jersey than perhaps throw punches. Something that normally happens when a fight breaks out. But the injury he sustained was kinda weird. Normally nothing would happen. Talbot didnt do anything extreme or even slightly extreme. I like the fact that it seemed Cally said something to Talbot when he felt something, and Talbot pulled up right away.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Callahan doesn't have what Gaborik had... Gabby had a torn labrum and that would've showed on the MRI.

The only meaningful injuries would have been a torn labrum or torn rotator cuff. Both of those would have shown in the MRI. AC joint sprain sucks but it's something he would've come back from pretty quickly.

Word.

Of course the Rangers could be lying or concealing the true MRI results from fans, and Callahan is going to play through the injury this year. Or it could be nothing major and he'll be pretty much fine. There are different levels of this stuff...

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I think you are trying to make something out of nothing here. In nearly all fights players make every effort to restrain the arms of their opponents. That's all that's happening here.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
I think you are trying to make something out of nothing here. In nearly all fights players make every effort to restrain the arms of their opponents. That's all that's happening here.
Yep, that's why those wrestling matches are hard to watch sometimes. If you are 175 lbs. and have an audacity to fight someone who is larger, chances are your courage will result in shoulder injury.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
headhunting at it's finest. nice job talbot smh. he threw his WHOLE weight of his body into dislocating cally's shoulder. no way in hell was that a punch. rewatch the video. that was an intentional dislocation. he puts one arm on the shoulder and pulls while he pushes all of his body into the chest. intentional 100%. talbot's reaction afterwards says it all

Intentional dislocation is one of the funniest things I have ever read here, and that says a lot.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
I still find it hard to believe that it was intentional. Talbot is not a dirty player. He was even waiving for the doctor if you watch the reply.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ra...e-injury-chris-kreider-still-not-100-matt-gil

“It happens. It was a freak thing,” Callahan said. “You’ve got to get caught in exactly the right spot to have this happen, and fighting or whatever it may be is part of the game, and if it presents itself again, then you have to do it.”

Callahan gave Talbot credit for easing up when he realized the Rangers forward was hurt.

“Yeah, he knew,” Callahan said. “I think he could tell right away. It was good for him to stop there at the end and let up on me a bit.”

On whether Talbot surprised him by dropping the gloves and tugging on his arm, leading to the injury: “No I don’t think that had anything to do with my injury at all. He dropped his gloves, I dropped my gloves and it went from there.”

Last edited:

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Hmm, I can pretty clearly see Talbot has Callahan's arm in one and and his other hand is on Callys jersey by his chest. Talbot lost his balance and natural reaction was to grab onto Callahan's arm, pulling it downward. It was a fair scrap and a freak injury. You can tell by Talbot's response that he knew right away and was concerned.

How dare you! How dare you come into this thread and attempt to be anything but subjective!

We here at HFBoards NYR have a slogan, and it goes like this:

"Vilify him, dammit! Vilify him!"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's really hard for me to believe that people are trying to say Talbot did that intentionally. That's just absurd on so many levels.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's really hard for me to believe that people are trying to say Talbot did that intentionally. That's just absurd on so many levels.

Let em say it. Can't stop those who want to really. I don't think much players have intent to injure. Oh well. At least Cally isn't gone forever..

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Career ending injury for Callahan.

And..

Talbot makes Bertuzzi look like Kariya. True story. He's that dirty. :sarcasm:

Love these threads. Everyone rush to the very edge of the cliff!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad