Injury Report: Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

Vickers8

“@AGrossRecord: Ryan Callahan participating in line rushes on J.T. Miller's right wing with Chris Kreider on the left.”

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
-Taylor Pyatt, Brad Richards, Marian Gaborik
-Carl Hagelin, Derek Stepan, Rick Nash
-Chris Kreider, JT Miller, Ryan Callahan
-Arron Asham, Jeff Halpern, Darroll Powe

Boyle in the dog house? Is Cally actually going to play 2nite? Hope he's not rushing it , was thinking Sunday though given that he's skating in a non contact

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Incredibly impressed if Callahan plays tonight. If you've ever dislocated your shoulder, you know its not as simple as popping it back.

Dec 13, 2010
Well there seemed to be some concern that this injury might require off-season surgery...I'm assuming that was not the case.

The biggest issue with this kind of injury is that even if it feels fine within a few weeks, without surgery there's a much higher risk of it happening again. Since it happened to me 4 years ago I've had the same thing happen 2 other times. Surgery now would be irresponsible because if it happens again it's basically the same exact amount of recovery time (2 weeks or so), but off-season surgery is a good idea to keep it in place better.

People have to remember this isn't a full dislocation, only partial. It looks and feels pretty much the same but recovery is much quicker and surgery is just a precaution to keep it from happening in the future.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The biggest issue with this kind of injury is that even if it feels fine within a few weeks, without surgery there's a much higher risk of it happening again. Since it happened to me 4 years ago I've had the same thing happen 2 other times. Surgery now would be irresponsible because if it happens again it's basically the same exact amount of recovery time (2 weeks or so), but off-season surgery is a good idea to keep it in place better.

People have to remember this isn't a full dislocation, only partial. It looks and feels pretty much the same but recovery is much quicker and surgery is just a precaution to keep it from happening in the future.

Thanks.

Dec 13, 2010
I'm not sure it always even needs surgery, depending on the severity.

For the average person, it wouldn't need surgery. Within 3 weeks I was back to playing sports and still play hockey and lacrosse to this day, but I do deal with a lot more pain than I would if I would get surgery on it. Again, surgery is really just a preventive measure to keep it from happening again, and to keep the pain to a minimum on a day-to-day basis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad