RW Pavel Dorofeyev (2019, 79th, VGK)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Based on him looking good on the top line so far. He's taken another step this year.

I'm pulling for him. I ranked him very highly (way too high), so I hope he makes me look like a genius. Then I'll come back and claim that I never had any doubts lol.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
-
I mean there is no debate whatsoever the move to the AHL was good for Dorofeyev. He went to play at the higher level and to a better situation within the organization.

Which I take over looking half-decent in the VHL any day.
My point is he has taken a huge leap back from his 2019-2010 season in the KHL and is now still not reaching that level again.

I also don't like the double-standard of "a player has to work hard in NA and earn his way up to the big league", but in Russia the same rule does not seem to apply and running away from hard work and earning the spot is okay somehow. To me it is clear indication of the qualities of the player. His work ethics and compete. If he earned his way back up into the KHL, then he would be a player I would want on my team.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
My point is he has taken a huge leap back from his 2019-2010 season in the KHL and is now still not reaching that level again.
Not really. He was only in the lineup due to the junior slot rule and didn't have any real role nor TOI on the team.

The double standard exists because his goal is to become an NHL player, not the KHL. He didn't run away, he simply chose another path to achieve it. There is no inherent value for him to "earn it" in the KHL, especially since the argument can be made he was definitely treated pretty unfairly. His results after moving to NA clearly showed he was KHL level player and then some, yet he was ditched by Magnitka and buried in the VHL. He played 1 game in the KHL for Traktor, they didn't even give him a chance.

You are talking like KHL teams can do no wrong and players need to stick with it no matter what. Well, they don't. He had another option and he took it, good for him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm pulling for him. I ranked him very highly (way too high), so I hope he makes me look like a genius. Then I'll come back and claim that I never had any doubts lol.

I don't think he'll be a top 6 player, but he could be a solid 2-way 15g 30a 3rd liner. Hopefully Morozov comes over at the end of the season because Dorofeyev's centers have mostly been guys that project to 4th line NHL roles.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not really. He was only in the lineup due to the junior slot rule and didn't have any real role nor TOI on the team.

He would not have a significant role now too. That's not a valid point at that age. And 7 points in 48GP is significant as a 19 year old. No matter how you turn(or play down) his deployment and role. Limited role would only upgrade those points scored.

The double standard exists because his goal is to become an NHL player, not the KHL.

That's where the core of problem is. It is not. The goal is to become the best player possible. And this purpose is usually not served by jumping the leagues. The league jumpers ususally end up playing in Romania at some point. I don't say there are no exceptions. I say I see the gerneral rule of the thumb. The players who handle their development right mostly end up in the NHL then, true.

He didn't run away, he simply chose another path to achieve it.

As I pointed out that path tends to lead in the wrong direction.

There is no inherent value for him to "earn it" in the KHL,
Maybe, in his head. But there is. That is what builds an actual athlete and a person.

Also on the silly, egoistic, purely money-driven side. If a player makes a name for himself in the KHL and then God forbid fails in NA he has a nice financial cushion wating for him in the KHL. If he runs off like Dorofeyev did, icluding his whining about not being treated right, his chances in the KHL will not look so formidable. Yes, SKA is known now for picking up every stray puppy left in the rain of the AHL, but they get demoted in no time if they don't perform too.

So basically even if you have no athlete in you and just calculate your future income you'd be much better off as a Barabanov or Gusev than a Rubtsov.

especially since the argument can be made he was definitely treated pretty unfairly.

I've heard that sad tale from so many career AHLers,:sarcasm:

His results after moving to NA clearly showed he was KHL level player and then some

No, they don't. They show he is an AHL player. That's clearly below KHL player. KHL player status he would have to prove in the KHL.

, yet he was ditched by Magnitka and buried in the VHL. He played 1 game in the KHL for Traktor, they didn't even give him a chance.

Yes, it was a grand conspiracy against the evil Doroveyev. Do you think they would send him to the VHL if he was a clear cut KHL level player at that point in time? Especially Traktor who are desperate for KHL level players.

You are talking like KHL teams can do no wrong and players need to stick with it no matter what.

But that is the general tune of everyone protecting the AHL/NHL system, isn't it? So which one is true? That AHL can be a graveyeard of talent or it can do no wrong?

Well, they don't. He had another option and he took it, good for him.

Whether it was good for him we will see. I am not holding my breath though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ana Crusis

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But that is the general tune of everyone protecting the AHL/NHL system, isn't it? So which one is true? That AHL can be a graveyeard of talent or it can do no wrong?
Who cares about the "general tune of everyone". It clearly worked out better for Dorofeyev, no matter how many walls of text do you write. You critique the generalization while going off on a tangent how staying in Russia is good based on the same kind of generalization, completely ignoring the events of this particular case.

Your whole argument is centered around "well it doesn't matter he's doing good in the AHL, he should have stayed in Russia because I said so". Which is just dumb.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3